CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Sean Philips

Profile:
Re: Too much $$$

For me, the cost is worth it for several reasons.

-I am a complete noob (today is day one of my third week), I NEED the trainers help to keep me from killing myself. They help everyone, but especially the new guys like me who really need it.

-I need the push. Having the trainers and people in my class around motivates me to push myself far harder than I ever could on my own.

-My box is made for crossfit. The globogyms only have a handful of the supplies needed to get the full experience.

Above all else is the support network. Sure you can get a lot of that for free on this board, but there is a lot to be said for genuine personal interaction.

For what it's worth, I am broke as a joke right now and am expecting my second child in less than three weeks. Crossfit cost me 135 a month and I had to make cuts elsewhere to afford it, but after taking care of my family and properly feeding myself, crossfit is my main financial priority.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Sean Waklee

Profile:

Cost varies depending on location. My box is only $100 unlimited but a box 8 miles away is $150, they are closer to SF and in a " un " more affluent area. San Diego cost of living is high so rent for a box is gonna be high. Mostmof the owners have day jobs and do CF because they love it and aren't getting rich by any means.
As for the extra $$ I feel you. I've been off work since April but going to the box 5 days a week keeps me from killing someone. We all have areas in our lives where we can make cuts. Starbucks, eating out, etc etc.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

maybe i missed it, but no one has really attempted to answer the OP's question of "why"... he never ask about worth? never said it wasn't worth it. regardless of if it's worth it or not does not answer the question "why is it so expensive". if the answer is simply b/c that is what the market will bear then say so. if the prices are set b/c that is where the owners get the highest profit margin then say so. if there are other reasons as to why then please explain those - i.e. wanting to limit to certain groups / crowds, wanting to ensure members are serious and have commitment, etc - then i would love to hear those reasons. is it expensive because it has to be or because it can be?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
Casey Connor

Profile:

A lot could be learned by watching the Starting an Affiliate webinars from Again Faster.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
I am sorry, and I dont want to take on the masses, but why the hell is crossfit so damn expensive? i cant find anything for less then $150 a month. And I dont understand the arguement that it is personal training, it is a class setting, which most gyms have, for the normal prices. I just dont get it
Crossfit at home: The price of equipment. $1000 will get you a nice setup that will last a lifetime if you don't go overboard. Obsessive people could easily drop 5 times this much. you have to teach yourself everything and motivate yourself without workout buddies.

Crossfit or any other program in a Globo: ~$40/month ($480/year) plus the hassle of dealing with people and limitations to your lifts (dropping weights, no track, squat cage in use, ect). most "group workouts" in globos are a waste of time, to be blunt. Not all, but most. You still have to teach and motivate yourself.

Crossfit at an affilliate: $150/month ($1800/year), probably less if you commit to more than a month at a time. Means at a minimum you don't have to buy equipment, don't have to program yourself, don't have to teach yourself lifts, and have workout buddies every session. A good affilliate will customize your program within reason. If you're paying attention, you could easily learn everything you need to know to work out at home in one year, then buy equipment and end the monthly cost.

Personal training in a gym: $300 - $600/month easily. Most trainers are less than competent. 'nuff said.

When put in perspective, CF isn't that expensive. that said, I've never worked out at an affilliate... always at home.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Crossfit at home: The price of equipment. $1000 will get you a nice setup that will last a lifetime if you don't go overboard. Obsessive people could easily drop 5 times this much. you have to teach yourself everything and motivate yourself without workout buddies.
Even less. I'm just starting out so I don't need 500# of equipment yet. I have a set of dumbells and a pullup bar in the park...starts small. Plus Craigslist has good deals if you watch long enough
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
maybe i missed it, but no one has really attempted to answer the OP's question of "why"... he never ask about worth? never said it wasn't worth it. regardless of if it's worth it or not does not answer the question "why is it so expensive". if the answer is simply b/c that is what the market will bear then say so. if the prices are set b/c that is where the owners get the highest profit margin then say so. if there are other reasons as to why then please explain those - i.e. wanting to limit to certain groups / crowds, wanting to ensure members are serious and have commitment, etc - then i would love to hear those reasons. is it expensive because it has to be or because it can be?
Excellent points and excellent questions raised. I would like to know the answers!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #18
Ian Nigh

Profile:

income needs to exceed expense in order to stay in business, its that simple.

The standard business model of most fitness centers is far and removed from what most CrossFit facilities are doing.

For a more realistic comparison, look at other non-educational skills development facilities such as a martial arts, olympic gymnastics or other specialized schools. Then bear in mind most of these places require several months of commitment and a signed contract, whereas most CrossFit facilities are way more flexible.

As has been noted though, if you dont see the value then it is likely not for you.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

(Directed at nobody in particular)

If you really want to know why it costs what it does, do the research yourself into what it takes to run a profitable Crossfit affiliate. When done, if you still have questions, come back here and ask for clarification.

- Mark
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Rent
Utilities
Insurance
Equipment and fixtures (like rubber flooring)
Trainer salaries
Affiliate fees, additional training

Meanwhile, on the revenue side, a Crossfit box has a much lower revenue ceiling than a globo because of the nature of the workouts. Once you get more than 15-20 people per class, you need to either double-staff the classes or have more of them. A $150 member who comes to 5 classes per week consumes many more gym resources than a $40 member who either doesn't show up at all or just walks on the treadmill. Furthermore, because the membership is more expensive, you have to keep the members engaged: plenty of people will just let a $40 membership ride if they only use it a few times a month, but most people will question the value of a $150 membership that they don't use. Again, that drives up the cost/member.

Relative to a globo, I would guess that a Crossfit box has much lower equipment costs per square foot, but much higher training costs per member and much lower member head count. As a result, CF startup costs are low but operating expenses are high, while globos are the reverse.

Katherine