CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #21
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:
Re: How sore is too sore to workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
As Katherine said, the on-ramp should absolutely be adjusted to beginner levels. I always kept people's first few workouts very simple--the point is to introduce them to CF style workouts and give the coach a chance to assess their technique and fitness levels, not cripple them with soreness.
I will definitely talk to my trainer because I could barely function at work today. I hurt so bad. Makes me wonder if I need to get in shape before crossfit! I appreciate being pushed beyond what I thought was possible, but if I can't squat to pee without nearly screaming, its too much.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
I will definitely talk to my trainer because I could barely function at work today. I hurt so bad. Makes me wonder if I need to get in shape before crossfit! I appreciate being pushed beyond what I thought was possible, but if I can't squat to pee without nearly screaming, its too much.
Your basic daily functions have become a painful challenge. I'd look for a new coach/box. If they knew what they were doing you wouldn't be in crippling pain, unless you just HAD to do the workout as RX'd like some idiots I know......guilty.

You told your coach how sore you were, yet were still told to do front squats. There are instances when pushing through the pain may actually be required, but trying to be a healthier and more fit individual is not one of them. I'd either look elsewhere, or tell your coach to pull their head out of their ***. This is one of the reasons the CrossFit gets a bad reputation; injuring people that just want to be healthier.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
Kayla Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Good advice on the foam roller, however it has nothing to do with lactic acid. It's compression and traction of the muscles and fascia that decrease trigger points, muscle spasms, and/or pain. Good advice,and now you really know why!
Well at least I got one part right I was told the lactic acid thing from a trainer ages ago, so it's likely it got all jumbled in my brain
Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #24
John Hansen

Profile:

Out of curiosity, and only since your trainer, if you have accurately described what happened, may not know what the hell she's doing, have you heard the word 'rhabdo' yet?

How much experience does your trainer have, both with CF and pre-CF?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #25
Benton Harris

Profile:

Stephanie.

I'm a noob myself. Been crossfitting since the middle of May. Let me tell you, it gets easier.

The first couple weeks, I couldn't believe how much I hurt. Ryan, my good friend and owner of the box, had me doing lunges with cinder blocks at one point. The next morning I sat down on the toilet and as I went to get up I realized my legs just didn't want to do that. I looked around frantically to find something to pull myself up with. Not the greatest moment in my life.

Everyone told me it would get better. Never easier, but quicker and less pain after. I didn't believe them, but I stuck it through the first month and soon I realized that I didn't hurt the next day. I wasn't pushing less, my body was just better able to deal with the stress.

However, I'd agree with other posters saying that if you're non-functional the next day, they are probably pushing too hard. For example, a former teacher of mine just signed up. She was doing air squats instead of front squats, sumo high pulls with just a closet rod, and 10lb kb swings. It works for her and she can function the next day.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Harris View Post
The first couple weeks, I couldn't believe how much I hurt. Ryan, my good friend and owner of the box, had me doing lunges with cinder blocks at one point.
This can be ameliorated or avoided entirely by properly using progressions. I assume these were walking lunges, which have a tremendous eccentric component, which is prone to produce a ton of delayed onset muscle soreness. A better introduction to lunges would look something like:

Static lunge -> reverse lunge -> dynamic lunge -> walking lunge

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...hardcore_lunge
link nsfw (t-nation)

This is also a good way to ensure that people develop proper technique under less challenging circumstances, and only then graduate to more difficult exercises upon showing mastery.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #27
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Stephanie,

At my gym the definition of unacceptable soreness is "can not engage in regular daily activities easily". Classic examples are getting on and off a toilet or police officers getting in and out of patrol cars.

Do not believe that it is some badge of honor or initiation you must go through to be a CrossFitter. We do 3 sets of 10 air squats day one. First question I ask day two is "How do you feel? Are you sore?". We have squat practice on day two but automatically skip it for anyone who has more then very mild soreness. Our intro workouts are designed to hit different muscle groups on purpose. I don't like the sound of the way your gym is handling their On-ramp class. Just forcing you through the agenda is a bad way to go.

With that said I have dealt with people who were over weight and very sedentary that I just kept scaling things down and they were still sore. If you are one of these people then spread the On-Ramp out over a longer period of time or ask your coaches to give highly scald workouts that carefully hit different muscle groups for a couple of weeks then come back to the On-ramp class to learn the movements. The fact that your mom is so sore leads me to believe the coaching is poor.

If this gym is your only choice then you will have to look out for your self. Make them scale the workouts and when in doubt scale even more.

If you have other gyms in the area it may be time to go check them out. If you find one you like better I would not hesitate to ask for a refund on your On-Ramp class.

Don't accept poor coaching and/or programming.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #28
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
Out of curiosity, and only since your trainer, if you have accurately described what happened, may not know what the hell she's doing, have you heard the word 'rhabdo' yet?

How much experience does your trainer have, both with CF and pre-CF?
I have! I read about it and its scary. I know my trainer is level 1 certified and I think she started crossfit maybe 2 or 3 years ago? I know she comes from a very athletic/hockey/sports background. The first workout we were with the owner because she was out of town. maybe the two of them didn't communicate about what we did the first workout? but shouldn't all that on ramp stuff be the same each time? I see her saturday and will talk to her. Being this sore is very discouraging. I'm down with being somewhat sore, i just want to be able to pee and use the stairs in my house without screaming!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Stephanie,

At my gym the definition of unacceptable soreness is "can not engage in regular daily activities easily". Classic examples are getting on and off a toilet or police officers getting in and out of patrol cars.

Do not believe that it is some badge of honor or initiation you must go through to be a CrossFitter. We do 3 sets of 10 air squats day one. First question I ask day two is "How do you feel? Are you sore?". We have squat practice on day two but automatically skip it for anyone who has more then very mild soreness. Our intro workouts are designed to hit different muscle groups on purpose. I don't like the sound of the way your gym is handling their On-ramp class. Just forcing you through the agenda is a bad way to go.

With that said I have dealt with people who were over weight and very sedentary that I just kept scaling things down and they were still sore. If you are one of these people then spread the On-Ramp out over a longer period of time or ask your coaches to give highly scald workouts that carefully hit different muscle groups for a couple of weeks then come back to the On-ramp class to learn the movements. The fact that your mom is so sore leads me to believe the coaching is poor.

If this gym is your only choice then you will have to look out for your self. Make them scale the workouts and when in doubt scale even more.

If you have other gyms in the area it may be time to go check them out. If you find one you like better I would not hesitate to ask for a refund on your On-Ramp class.

Don't accept poor coaching and/or programming.
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I much prefer how you do things. This is great food for thought! I totally printed what you said so I can show my mom. So this is what we did on our first workout - we learned the proper technique for air squats, and then we did a 2 minute drill of 20 secs on (as many squats as you can do with proper form) and 10 secs rest. and already my legs were shaking and burning. and we went through some upper body stuff, pushups and ring pull ups (i least i think thats what its called - to help prepare for dong pulls up eventually). So then we got into our first workout (and this was timed) - 200m run, and then 15 reps of air squats, push ups , rings, and then 12 reps and then 9 and finishing with a 200m run. Now, to gage my lack of shape, and this is embarrassing, it took me over 16 minutes to finish, while it took my mom just over 10! So the next night, this was Wednesday, we warmed up and went through a bunch of press types, and got to the workout, which was weighted front squats...and a ton of them! we did the 10:1 thing so that was a total of 55 WEIGHTED (although a very light weight ) front squats (if i counted right), switching with the same reps of a push press. I mean my form on squats went out the window. I don't even know how I finished.

So this isn't what other boxes do? Thats good, because it beyond crippled me! Maybe my trainer hasn't dealt with my level of out of shapeness before? Thanks again Brendan, really appreciate all the information.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Thanks to everyone for all the replies, info, suggestions, and support. It is greatly appreciated. I feel so discouraged today and this helps.