CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: SS novice seeking advice

6 feet tall, a 170 pounds and you are worried about fat lose?

My first thought is eating disorder. What is your body fat %?

If it is above 10% then you have no muscle which would explain the inability to lift more. If it is below 10% then I expect you have little energy which would explain the inability to lift more.

I'm 5'11" and weighed 179 this morning @ about 10% body fat. What this means is I need to eat more today. I eat Paleo. I use protein shakes and even a recovery shake that is half weight gain formula with oil olive added for more fat and calories.

I get that you like playing soccer. While playing that much soccer you will not be able to make the big gains others make of SS. With that said you can still do SS just understand you will not make the big fast gains.

I would suggest you aim for a body weight of 185 at a minimum. Protein will need to be closer to 1.2g x 185 = 222 g a day. You will also need to increase your fat intake and some more fruit won't hurt. Think 5000 to 6000 calories a day. Post soccer nutrition is very important. A big recovery shake with lots of protein, fat and some carbs will help your body replenish after the soccer.

I expect you will find improvement in your soccer at 185 as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Kenneth Westerman

Profile:

I haven't been doing starting strength for quite as long, only about a month or so, but I'm in almost exactly the same situation. In college, same height and weight, lift numbers are same for upper body and a bit higher for lower body. I'm a tennis player, so I also have some "mandatory" exercise outside of SS. Have you considered taking out some or all of the assistance exercises and maybe even the dips and chin ups as well? I know I'm not as far into the program, but I've been able to maintain gains on most of my lifts by doing little to nothing after the three main lifts to account for the extra exercise from tennis.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

More Fats, less soccer.

SS is something you really can't half-a$$, and expect great results. Part of the Novice program is GOMAD, and your strength gains are going to be hampered until you start doing all facets of the SS novice program.

Considering your academic commitment to soccer, maybe you should examine another fitness/strength program until you are able to fully immerse yourself into the SS Novice method 100%
Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Westerman View Post
I know I'm not as far into the program, but I've been able to maintain gains on most of my lifts by doing little to nothing after the three main lifts to account for the extra exercise from tennis.
Because you are a month in.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Hey Kyle. Here is a link to the 70s Big Strength and Conditioning program.

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...&postcount=394

Its a basic linear progression, with conditioing workouts built in to it. You could work this around your soccer days (make sure to limit rest periods of that are more than 2 days). If I were you, I would also pass on the conditioing scheduled into this, as you will get all you need out of soccer.

I did this for 9 weeks, and added almost 100# to my bench and squat, and over 100# to my deadlift. (individual results may vary)

When I started this, I weighed 230, and did not lift very heavy - by the end I was 250. Pancakes and pizza became my friend, and I never felt run-down or weak. I have already worked 10# of that off - you will have no trouble with that.

Good luck with whatever you try.

edit: I should note that I shamelessly plug 70sbig.com as often as I can! Its been a great resource for me!

Last edited by Milton Brisson : 03-21-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
Sean Andrews

Profile:

Hey Kyle,

I've been crossfitting for 3 years now and currently coach in our local box. I started SS a month ago to increase my overall strength as it is starting to really impact me on alot of metcons. I've been about 90% paleo for a couple years now and even though it can be done paleo I have adapted more carbs and reintroduced milk into my diet for the program. I have completely quit doing crossfit wods for the time being and concentrating fully on SS.

February 22
5'11
bwt - 165#
starting weights (3X5) except deads (1X5)
squat-145#
press - 105#
dead - 265#
bench -145#
assistance exercises used : chins/pullups/back ext

March 22
bwt - 175#
squat - 210#
press - 125#
dead - 295#
bench - 180#

Although I did have the 3 years background in crossfit with obvious lifting involved and starting conservatively on the lifts gains come pretty easy when you do the program and give it your full attention. This is not a program for maintaining strength obviously it is designed for "linear progression" .Like others are saying you either do it or not but there are other ways of losing weight, as a matter of fact there are tons of crossfit wods that can be done with NO equipment since that is an issue you have presently. Burpees, air squats, pushups, situps, obviously you have access to barbells and chin up bars. What more do you need to do wods??
With as active as you are 1g protein/#bwt is a minimum more like 1-1.5g/#bwt.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

Quote:
@Tamara: I've seen it posted more than a few times that fat loss and muscle gain are possible simultaneously as long as you keep a clean diet with sufficient protein (perhaps I just need more protein?). If that's not the case, it's definitely news to me, so thanks for pointing that out.
Homie, I used to believe all sorts of stuff people post on the internet. Consider this a lesson. I don't mean that in a condescending way, really, look at the facts of your own situation and don't worry about what other people are saying. They might be lying, have poor technique, be fatter, skinnier, weaker than they're telling you they are.

Your weight should be at least 210, and I mean at least. I make gains every workout, almost, and I've got 55 lbs on you at 5'10. You'll look better, too.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #18
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Planeaux View Post
@Tamara: I've seen it posted more than a few times that fat loss and muscle gain are possible simultaneously as long as you keep a clean diet with sufficient protein (perhaps I just need more protein?). If that's not the case, it's definitely news to me, so thanks for pointing that out. So you'd recommend I eat more protein and do less cardio, or else drop SS? As I said to Chris, dropping the soccer isn't a possibility, so is there a program you'd recommend instead of SS for my MWF? For the time being I'd be fine simply seeing more fat loss while retaining the muscle and strength I have as my diet seems in line with that.
If you were 6'0 and 250 lbs, then you could probably lose a good deal of fat while still making novice gains. Because you'd be fat. And a novice.

You are 170 lbs. Your body isn't going to let you lose fat and make an eff ton of strength gains at the same time. Your body is screaming, "Stop! Please feed me." That is why you are stalling on your lifts.

Can you get stronger and stay at 170 lbs? Sure. It might be slow and painful, but there are some strong skinny dudes. Can you do it on SS? Probably not. SS assumes that you are eating, sleeping, and resting enough to recover and adapt in a 48-72 hour time window. YOU AREN'T DOING THAT. It's just a fact.

I understand that you can't drop soccer. You have a couple of options. You could try the 70's Big program and use soccer as your conditioning for that program. You could use the SWOD schedule of CFFB and use soccer as your conditioning. You could just pick one or two lifts and focus on those. There are some other athletes here that may have ideas based on what has worked for them. Whatever you pick, you need to eat more or you will continue to stall on your linear progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Borek View Post
Homie, I used to believe all sorts of stuff people post on the internet. Consider this a lesson. I don't mean that in a condescending way, really, look at the facts of your own situation and don't worry about what other people are saying. They might be lying, have poor technique, be fatter, skinnier, weaker than they're telling you they are.

Your weight should be at least 210, and I mean at least. I make gains every workout, almost, and I've got 55 lbs on you at 5'10. You'll look better, too.
And, ditto to all of this. Except you can 100% believe that my awesomeness is true.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #19
Trey Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

Or you could just drink some milk. Seriously, WTF.
This. If you gain weight you'll see strength gains and probably not get noticeably worse at soccer. I'm a college student too. In my experience, ~2,000 extra calories a day for $3.00 coming from whole milk is your best option.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Williams View Post
If you gain weight you'll see strength gains and probably not get noticeably worse at soccer.
Also, this.

And, I say this as someone who played Olympic Development soccer while weighing 118 lbs.

I'd be a hell of a lot better now at 150 lbs and much, MUCH stronger than I was then.

Except that I'm old. But, I pretend that part doesn't matter.