CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:
SS novice seeking advice

Hey Guys,

I've been an avid CF follower for the past year or so now, but haven't been able to get involved to any real extent doing WODs due to a few different factors (poor college student, woefully under-equipped gym, etc.). Instead, I've been on Starting Strength for around 6 months trying to build strength until i can start CF in the summer. Unfortunately, I'm starting to hit walls with the majority of the exercises. Here's what I'm at right now in terms of 5RM:

Squat: 235#
Bench: 175# (Only barely)
Deadlift: 275#
Press: 105#
Power Clean: 145#

As of right now the A and B days are as follows:

A day
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
3x5-8 Dips (weighted @ 25# currently)
Assistance: 4x12 weighted incline situps + 2x12 weighted Back Extensions

B day
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power Cleans
3x5-8 Chin-ups (unweighted)
Assistance: 3x12 Hanging Leg Raises

I'll alternate between A and B days MWF with 60-90 minutes of soccer on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.

I've also been keeping a food log to make sure I'm getting enough Protein (I've seen 1g protein/lb bw suggested, so that's what I've been shooting for). At the moment I'm 170# @ 6' 0". A typical day of eating looks like this:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, 1 thick slice bacon, 2-3 cups of spinach cooked in Olive Oil (~30g protein)
Lunch: Can of sardines in olive oil over Salad (40g protein), Apple
Dinner: 3 Chicken Thighs (~60g protein), Tomato Sauce, 3-4 Servings Broccoli or Asparagus
Snack: Steak or other meat left over from yesterday (30-40g protein)

With an occasional handful of nuts depending on how my energy level is. So my diet is essentially paleo with minimal fruits and nuts. One admission I have to make is that I have a cheat meal about once a week. This is usually something along the lines of a pasta dinner with some kind of extravagant dessert(not so good, I know). Also of note might be the fact that I go to Korean BBQ about once a week, but I've read that this is considered paleo despite the calorie overload.

So ultimately my question is this: what can I do to improve? I've hit walls in nearly all the exercises I've been doing. My Bench and Press maxes haven't budged for close to a month and my Squat and Deadlift haven't moved up for 2-3 weeks. Dips and Chin-ups have stayed pretty much the same as well. I've also seen a plateau in both muscle gain and fat loss over the past month or two. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Christopher Paulson

Profile:
Re: SS novice seeking advice

How much sleep are you getting?

I'm no expert but it seems like most people hit walls from lack of sleep, poor diet, or overtraining (or a combination thereof).

If your recovery times, diet are in line and you're not overtraining (the soccer may be the culprit here) then it is suggested that you've just hit a natural wall and need to reset.

Some people might say that if the sport isn't too demanding it won't affect your ability to recover, however, there are a lot of people here that will strongly disagree. Be preared for a lot of people to tell you to drop the soccer.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

You are 6'0 and 170 lbs. You are eating almost totally clean. You are playing soccer between 3 and 5 hours a week. None of these things are in the recipe for success on SS. Unless you are willing to eat more, gain 20-30 lbs, and cut back on your cardio, you may be stuck where you are because you're not doing the program. And that might be okay, ddepending on your goals. But when you are 6'0 and 170 lbs and the words "fat loss" appear in one of your sentences, I am doubtful that SS is the right program for you.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Planeaux View Post
Hey Guys,

I've been an avid CF follower for the past year or so now, but haven't been able to get involved to any real extent doing WODs due to a few different factors (poor college student, woefully under-equipped gym, etc.). Instead, I've been on Starting Strength for around 6 months trying to build strength until i can start CF in the summer. Unfortunately, I'm starting to hit walls with the majority of the exercises. Here's what I'm at right now in terms of 5RM:

Squat: 235#
Bench: 175# (Only barely)
Deadlift: 275#
Press: 105#
Power Clean: 145#

As of right now the A and B days are as follows:

A day
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
3x5-8 Dips (weighted @ 25# currently)
Assistance: 4x12 weighted incline situps + 2x12 weighted Back Extensions

B day
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power Cleans
3x5-8 Chin-ups (unweighted)
Assistance: 3x12 Hanging Leg Raises

I'll alternate between A and B days MWF with 60-90 minutes of soccer on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.

I've also been keeping a food log to make sure I'm getting enough Protein (I've seen 1g protein/lb bw suggested, so that's what I've been shooting for). At the moment I'm 170# @ 6' 0". A typical day of eating looks like this:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, 1 thick slice bacon, 2-3 cups of spinach cooked in Olive Oil (~30g protein)
Lunch: Can of sardines in olive oil over Salad (40g protein), Apple
Dinner: 3 Chicken Thighs (~60g protein), Tomato Sauce, 3-4 Servings Broccoli or Asparagus
Snack: Steak or other meat left over from yesterday (30-40g protein)

With an occasional handful of nuts depending on how my energy level is. So my diet is essentially paleo with minimal fruits and nuts. One admission I have to make is that I have a cheat meal about once a week. This is usually something along the lines of a pasta dinner with some kind of extravagant dessert(not so good, I know). Also of note might be the fact that I go to Korean BBQ about once a week, but I've read that this is considered paleo despite the calorie overload.

So ultimately my question is this: what can I do to improve? I've hit walls in nearly all the exercises I've been doing. My Bench and Press maxes haven't budged for close to a month and my Squat and Deadlift haven't moved up for 2-3 weeks. Dips and Chin-ups have stayed pretty much the same as well. I've also seen a plateau in both muscle gain and fat loss over the past month or two. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated.
Where are the deadlifts? They're not listed in A or B.

The part in bold red is absolutely contributing to your lack of gains. Either do the program or don't, but don't do half the program then be surprised when it doesn't work.

You could also stand to eat quite a bit more.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

The 1g protein/lb of bodyweight is recommended when you are trying to cut fat and retain as much muscle as possible, when trying to gain weight you should aim for a higher amount.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

Thanks for the expedient responses, just a quick correction: the A day in my original post should've included a 1x5 of deadlifts. Sorry about that.

@Chris: Being a college student it's hard to hit 8 hours a night, but I've been pretty good about getting at least 7 hours. Perhaps soccer is the culprit, unfortunately it's a registered class so dropping it isn't an option.

@Tamara: I've seen it posted more than a few times that fat loss and muscle gain are possible simultaneously as long as you keep a clean diet with sufficient protein (perhaps I just need more protein?). If that's not the case, it's definitely news to me, so thanks for pointing that out. So you'd recommend I eat more protein and do less cardio, or else drop SS? As I said to Chris, dropping the soccer isn't a possibility, so is there a program you'd recommend instead of SS for my MWF? For the time being I'd be fine simply seeing more fat loss while retaining the muscle and strength I have as my diet seems in line with that.

@Eric: Thanks for catching that, I'd say essentially the same thing to you that I said to Tamara. On another note, what would you recommend adding to my diet in terms of eating more, something like an additional can of tuna or a chicken breast or two? I'm already finding it pretty difficult hitting 1g/#bw as far as protein is concerned.

Thanks again for the quick responses, this has been really helpful already.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Your diet looks to me like it's seriously lacking in calories, not protein specifically. More fat. More fruit and veggies. More starchy tubers.

If dropping soccer isn't an option, then it might be smart to ease back on the strength training for the time being, and to eat everything in sight.

It's only possible to build muscle while losing fat at the very beginning. If you're six months in to SS, there's a good chance you're past that point. Pick a goal.

Katherine
Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Kyle Planeaux

Profile:

@Katherine: Thanks for the quick response. If I had to choose between fat loss and muscle gain right now, I'd pick fat loss, especially if the soccer is going to inhibit muscle gain and promote fat loss. The swiftly approaching summer months might have something to do with that decision as well...

With this in mind, what would you suggest when it comes to MWF workouts? I'm relatively happy with the muscle mass and strength that I'm currently seeing, so I'd like to at least maintain that. Also, is my diet more or less in line with this goal or should I be changing the sort of stuff I'm eating? Thanks again for responding so quickly.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

YNDTP

aka You're Not Doing The Program
Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You need to eat more ****ing carbs or get fat adapted and eat a lot of fat for the amount of calories you are burning off playing soccer.

I can't imagine you carry a lot of fat on that 170lb frame though you could just be what is called "skinny-fat" aka lacking muscle. However you must have some muscle to hit those lifts. Not a lot, but some.

I would try eating a ****ton more, and if you're not willing to do that, don't expect to progress anywhere really.

Or you could just drink some milk. Seriously, WTF.