CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: 1st Elements Class hit me like a truck 4 non athlete

Stretch ALOT. Anytime you have free minutes, or if you watch tv or whatever, do any stretches you can think of, it will hurt a bit, but you'll feel better after.
The workouts really don't get easier, but the recovery from them gets ALOT better really fast, so keep it up.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Cara Yeo

Profile:

Thank you all for your support. I woke up all night with pains in my upper thighs. I threw up my breakfast which was light. I am thinking that this is not for me. I collapsed holding my one year old son this morning. My legs just gave in under me. I dropped him to the floor. This is very scary.

I want and need to do this. I don't want to give up after one try but I need to be functional for my three children. Two of them were late to school yesterday because of sloth me.

I am not sure what to say or do. I am of no use to my kids in this state.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Dean Okazaki

Profile:

It sounds like your trainer failed you, not matter if you like them personally or not. Fundamental classes shouldn't debilitate you, but they should tax you.

If the affiliate you went to offers a 'canned' fundamental class (ie same workouts same scaling) for everyone then this is a big issue. You are an individual with your own fitness starting point, and you should be brought in to the CF community that way.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
Meghan Reid

Profile:

You need to tell your instructor about all of this and she needs to slow you down. A LOT. Crossfit is scalable to any level, but if you are not honest with your trainer about how the workout is affecting you, she cannot scale properly for you. Now, if you say all this to her and she is still pushing you farther than you think you can handle, we'll have another discussion.

You do bring up an excellent point, though - it doesn't really matter if I limp slowly up and down the stairs sometimes because I don't really have to take care of anyone but myself. You need to keep in mind that you have to function in a certain way outside of the gym and know how your body will respond to certain things. This will come in time.

My own trainer used to purposely skip deadlift days because they coincided with the days she worked double shifts as a waitress and she knew she wouldn't be able to stand upright the whole shift comfortably.

Talk to your trainer, take a few days to recover, use ice copiously and a little ibuprofen is okay too. Next time you go in, take it nice and easy. It's going to be tough for awhile considering how sedentary you have been, but like I said before, there is NO RUSH. You don't need to compare yourself to anyone but YOU, and the changes and adaptations will come in time.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Josh Newall

Profile:

Don't give up! Just slow down. Explain what's going on to your trainer and/or find a different one. Crossfit can be scaled. There're 70+ year old women doing it at their own pace. If you can't do 30 squats do three squats until you can do four and four until you can do five.

Look at it this way: you did 10 pullups, 20 push ups and 30 squats and it almost completely destroyed you. What are you going to do when your one year old is three and weighs 50 pounds? You're obviously very weak and deconditioned. You need to get strong! Take it slow and you'll be able to do all those pullups and push ups in less than five minutes without breaking a sweat. I've been crossfiting for maybe two months now and I can do a workout today that would have probably killed me two months ago.

Good luck to you and don't give up!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Yeo View Post
Thank you all for your support. I woke up all night with pains in my upper thighs. I threw up my breakfast which was light. I am thinking that this is not for me. I collapsed holding my one year old son this morning. My legs just gave in under me. I dropped him to the floor. This is very scary.

I want and need to do this. I don't want to give up after one try but I need to be functional for my three children. Two of them were late to school yesterday because of sloth me.

I am not sure what to say or do. I am of no use to my kids in this state.
I'd complain to your trainer. Loudly. You are paying her to scale workouts appropriately, not to cripple you. If she doesn't understand why this is a problem, find someone who does. This degree of soreness is not normal or acceptable.

This amount of pain could also indicate something worse than mere soreness. Is there any swelling? Any trouble urinating, or is your urine a funny color? If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see a doctor. Not to freak you out, but it is possible to seriously injure yourself by overdoing it.

Katherine
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Cara Yeo

Profile:

I sent a pity letter to my trainer and basically said I am sol today for class. The owner of our CF where I lived called me this morning. She sounded very concerned. I told her I was very close to quitting but I know I need help.

I am suppose to go in today for the Elements class. She wants me to rest until my next Elements class basically giving it a week. Of course she told me to get into some walking, stretching, and light activity before my next class. She is going to modify my workout so that I can be of use. She assured me that this does happen but is rare and does not want me to give up.

You know I am a fighter when I can make my body feel this way!

I understand why it effected me so hard given my inactivity and obesity. Bless my husbands heart for putting up with the messy dirty house, screaming kids, and frustrated wife during these times. I love that man!

SO, for now, it's on next week. I must have some gumption in me.
Thank you all!

Last edited by Cara Yeo : 01-12-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
Cara Yeo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

This amount of pain could also indicate something worse than mere soreness. Is there any swelling? Any trouble urinating, or is your urine a funny color? If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see a doctor. Not to freak you out, but it is possible to seriously injure yourself by overdoing it.

Katherine
Yes, I was worried about that. I know it is not normal. I threw up this morning. I had to take some relaxers that has made me very tired. I have a Dr. in my house luckily. I think the trainer overworked me and I overworked myself. It is not her fault though given that you do not want to underestimate someone. We all know now! I am keeping close eye on my body. I am not swollen, blue, but just a bit pale. Someone told me that is the weakness leaving the body? I am just amazingly sore more so than giving birth and my legs are just not working. I might need more recovery than most. After all, I am 100lbs more than I should be and surprised that I am not in the hospital!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
Dean Okazaki

Profile:

Seems to me I'd rather have a trainer underestimate me initially than overestimate. But alas, I'm just a trainee and no where near a trainer.

Seems to me the fundamentals classes should work you just hard enough to get you to come back for the next session. If you are this beat up right now, it must have been painfully obvious to the trainer that you were going to be feeling that WOD for several days.

I just hope you keep coming back, but WOD with the goal in mind of being able to do the next one
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #20
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I hope you give it another chance after you recover. It sounds like after you made your concerns known to the trainer she was receptive, so we'll see what happens after the next session.