CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #51
Maggi Young

Profile:
Re: High Testosterone Levels

I didn't read all the replies, so excuse me if I'm repeating anything that's already been said.

Sounds like a very high probability that you have PCOS. I was just diagnosed with this roughly 3 weeks ago. I had bloodwork done at an endocrinologist (self referred, no need to waste time/money at a PCP) and an internal ultrasound at the gynecologist. The only real signs I had were slightly elevated testosterone levels, but the ultrasound revealed many cysts on my ovaries.

As far as symptoms go, I randomly got insane acne (never had acne in my life), had been overweight for many years and found it close to impossible to lose regardless of diet/fitness and also started having major abdominal pain.

I've been prescribed Metformin and Spironolactone (lowers testosterone) but haven't been on them long enough to see results yet.

That's part of what got me started doing CF/Paleo - to see if I had all the right stuff in my corner (diet/meds/will), would my body agreeably lose weight.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #52
Brittany Earl

Profile:

Maggi- Let's stay in touch on our progress. Would love to hear how it pans out for you. I did not go on Spirolactone (sp?) as I think there's a high risk of having babies with birth defects. I'm of childbearing age, so I don't want to mess with that. Did your doc talk to you about that?

To everyone else: I made a name change, so yes it's still me. I have now been on Metformin for almost 4 weeks. I'm on a low dose. I did end up getting my bloodwork done, but never did get a urine test. But the blood work showed high testosterone was confirmed. Over the past 10 weeks I've completely laid off my training. I've done CrossFit 4 times and have done lots of yoga. I'm starting to actually feel a little bit better.

In looking at diet, I've done a lot of research since my last post and I've been advised by some to actually cut out fruit from my diet. Seeing as to how insulin resistance is the problem with most pcos'ers, it's possible my body cannot handle the fruit- even one or two pieces per day. This makes me feel a little deprived, as I feel I have already cut out soooo much, but if it is what my body needs to be able to function, I guess I'll just have to press on. So I'm looking at a daily menu of meat, veggies, little nuts, and oils. Hm. That's it. Feels like a sorry existence to me. Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #53
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi Young View Post
I had bloodwork done at an endocrinologist (self referred, no need to waste time/money at a PCP) and an internal ultrasound at the gynecologist. The only real signs I had were slightly elevated testosterone levels, but the ultrasound revealed many cysts on my ovaries.

As far as symptoms go, I randomly got insane acne (never had acne in my life), had been overweight for many years and found it close to impossible to lose regardless of diet/fitness and also started having major abdominal pain.

I've been prescribed Metformin and Spironolactone (lowers testosterone) but haven't been on them long enough to see results yet.

Good luck!
I hope your diet is truly dialled in as metaformin is a oral diabetic medication that regulates your blood sugar. PLUS.... ITS HAS A SECONDARY EFFECT... it makes your ovaries have a thinner membrane for the ovum to pass through the scar tissue that has been created by the cysts. Your chances of fertility has just increased about 500 percent... so if your NOT interested in getting pregnant... take the necessary precautions.

Spironolactone.... your taking this drug daily or just the week before your menstrual cycle starts?? again, your going to need to adjust your diet in the regards to your potassium in take... like avoid rich potassium food when your on it. I hope you asked alot of questions of your doc.. as this is an off label usage for this medication.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #54
Maggi Young

Profile:

@Frank - I'm following a strict Paleo diet, so the only sugars I'm consuming are natural ones from 1 to 2 pieces of fruit a day. I'm having great success with weight loss, both through CF & Paleo - 7 lbs in 13 days. I have no interest in having more children, and am covered on that front

@Brittany - Follow my lead!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #55
Brittany Earl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi Young View Post

@Brittany - Follow my lead!
Trust me, I've been doing the Paleo Diet religiously since August 18, 2010. So far = 0 pounds lost.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #56
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Earl View Post
Trust me, I've been doing the Paleo Diet religiously since August 18, 2010. So far = 0 pounds lost.
It's all about calories in vs. calories out. You can eat great food, but if you're eating too much, nothing's going to change. Try recording your diet and cutting the calories by about 300cal. If the number on the scale starts moving, you could probably go down to a 500cal deficit and see where that takes you.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #57
Brittany Earl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Sallee View Post
It's all about calories in vs. calories out. You can eat great food, but if you're eating too much, nothing's going to change. Try recording your diet and cutting the calories by about 300cal. If the number on the scale starts moving, you could probably go down to a 500cal deficit and see where that takes you.
Brent, I can't remember if you have read my posts since the beginning? If not please search my posts. For me the cal. in vs. cal out is not the cause. my issue is more involved than that, unfortunately. I wish it were that simple- if so I'd never even be dealing with all of this as I am extremely in tune and dialed in with cal. in. thanks, though.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #58
Pat Quigley

Profile:

Brittany, I would not pretend to have any answers for you. I have heard the following doc lecture and have had contact w. some of her patients. You might find something useful here.

(WFS)http://www.herplace.com/
Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #59
Patrick Thompsen

Profile:

Brittany,

I don't now how much useful this article can be to you with your situation, but I think its a good read nevertheless in regards to hormones in women w/resistance training

http://www.the-aps.org/press/journal/06/25.htm
Old 12-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #60
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Earl View Post
Brent, I can't remember if you have read my posts since the beginning? If not please search my posts. For me the cal. in vs. cal out is not the cause. my issue is more involved than that, unfortunately. I wish it were that simple- if so I'd never even be dealing with all of this as I am extremely in tune and dialed in with cal. in. thanks, though.
Brittany, it is always an issue of calories in vs calories out. You aren't an exception. If it is truly not working, then you likely have some other form of hormonal imbalance that is modifying your basal thermogenesis or your resting metabolic rate. And yes, I've been following your thread. No offense, but many people like to think they're the exception. In most cases, people either don't measure their food exactly or they don't record EVERYTHING they eat. Either that, or they cut their calories so much that their body reduces their resting metabolic rate to compensate via starvation mode.