CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
George Rudd
Member George Rudd is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon  SK Canada
Posts: 14
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
I would pretty much avoid NSAIDs entirely. If your pain is minor enough that some ibuprofen will make it better then it isn't that bad or you can just take some aspirin/tylenol instead. Ibuprofen is banned from trainer's locker rooms for a reason, it negative impact on the recovery process far outweighs the potential benefits.
Apirin is an nsaid (not sure if tylenol is or not off the top of my head), And while i can't comment on nsaid effects on the recovery process, nsaids are very efective analgesics because of their mechanism of action. In the certain situations i have been told an nsaid is better than morphine for dealing with pain, and in others it is extremely effective when used with drugs like morphine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #22
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
I would pretty much avoid NSAIDs entirely. If your pain is minor enough that some ibuprofen will make it better then it isn't that bad or you can just take some aspirin/tylenol instead. Ibuprofen is banned from trainer's locker rooms for a reason, it negative impact on the recovery process far outweighs the potential benefits.
Yeah...you kinda contradicted yourself....Tylenol is ibuprofen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Rudd View Post
Apirin is an nsaid (not sure if tylenol is or not off the top of my head), And while i can't comment on nsaid effects on the recovery process, nsaids are very efective analgesics because of their mechanism of action. In the certain situations i have been told an nsaid is better than morphine for dealing with pain, and in others it is extremely effective when used with drugs like morphine.
When I broke my collarbone, the ER gave me ibuprofen for the inflammation, plus codeine for the pain. Worked pretty well.

*shrug* I would say that if NSAIDs are more than an occasional thing, you probably need to rethink your training as you're using them to hide an underlying problem. But if your ambition exceeds your ability once in a while, why not?

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yeah...you kinda contradicted yourself....Tylenol is ibuprofen.
No, it is not. Tylenol is acetaminophen. It works by a completely different mechanism than ibuprofen (the active ingredient in Advil and others). In particular, it's less likely to cause stomach irritation than either aspirin or ibuprofen.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
Wendy Greene
Banned Wendy Greene is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Laramie  WY
Posts: 31
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Glutamine
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #26
Jesse Gray
Affiliate Jesse Gray is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 545
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Rudd View Post
Apirin is an nsaid (not sure if tylenol is or not off the top of my head), And while i can't comment on nsaid effects on the recovery process, nsaids are very efective analgesics because of their mechanism of action. In the certain situations i have been told an nsaid is better than morphine for dealing with pain, and in others it is extremely effective when used with drugs like morphine.
There is a big difference between dealing with acute pain and muscle soreness. Also, Aspirin is an NSAID but it is fairly unique and works in a slightly different way than ibuprofen. Aspirin is an acetic acid derivitive while ibuprofen is a propionic acid derivative.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yeah...you kinda contradicted yourself....Tylenol is ibuprofen.
Well, you're just wrong.
__________________
My Box!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #27
Wendy Greene
Banned Wendy Greene is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Laramie  WY
Posts: 31
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
There is a big difference between dealing with acute pain and muscle soreness. Also, Aspirin is an NSAID but it is fairly unique and works in a slightly different way than ibuprofen. Aspirin is an acetic acid derivitive while ibuprofen is a propionic acid derivative.




Well, you're just wrong.
Lulz... owned
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Sorry about the mistake.

After running 62 miles and trying 3 different types of NSAIDs this weekend to deal with a sprained ankle, you might think they're all the same too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #29
Jesse Gray
Affiliate Jesse Gray is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 545
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Sorry about the mistake.

After running 62 miles and trying 3 different types of NSAIDs this weekend to deal with a sprained ankle, you might think they're all the same too.
After running 62 miles on a sprained ankle I would take all the NSAIDs I could find and chase them with a 12 pack of beer.
__________________
My Box!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #30
Lynne Pitts
Administrator Lynne Pitts is offline
 
Lynne Pitts's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Richmond  NH
Posts: 3,231
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Greene View Post
Lulz... owned
Neither a useful nor appropriate post; please re-read the AUP.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doms Michael Halbfish Fitness 15 10-05-2008 07:03 PM
DOMS with SS Thomas Hathaway Fitness 2 08-04-2008 07:38 AM
No DOMS? Ezequiel Martinez Vazquez Exercises 1 05-30-2008 08:13 AM
DOMS?? Cameron D. Hetzel Jr Injuries 3 08-11-2006 01:04 PM
DOMS Tim Holmes Starting 7 12-12-2003 11:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.