CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D Barry View Post
OK, I'm curious about the "Roll Out" and "Foam rolling" suggestions. I've never tried that, and I'm not sure exactly how it's done.
Plenty of info on foam rolling on the Internet. Let your curiosity guide you to Google.

- Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Anything for DOMS?

The most obvious thing to prevent DOMS to to be prepared for whatever exercise caused it. If you do something on a regular basis, it's unlikely to cause DOMS.

For example over the weekend I did my first metcon in a couple months - Fran with 105 lbs in 2:54. I was really sore in the legs for a few days after that. The reason is that I haven't done a single thruster in all of 2010.

On the other hand, I've been doing lots of heavy Olympic lifting regularly and I don't get sore anymore. I've been doing a few long runs and it used to be the case that everything over 10 miles would leave my lower legs and feet sore, but now I feel fine afterward.

So whatever is causing your DOMS, just add it into your routine regularly.


A lot of people have already mentioned some of the best ways to treat DOMS. I would agree with most of them:

- eat more calories, especially protein
- take an extra nap
- take ibuprofen
- apply lots of ice
- get a massage, do self-massage, or do foam-rolling

Hope that helps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
Troy Becker
Member Troy Becker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 1,118
Re: Anything for DOMS?

I hear that microlactin is supposed to really help with this, but haven't tried it myself. The google search on bromelain looked intersesting, I'll have to try that some day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Meghan Reid
Member Meghan Reid is offline
 
Meghan Reid's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,475
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
The most obvious thing to prevent DOMS to to be prepared for whatever exercise caused it. If you do something on a regular basis, it's unlikely to cause DOMS.

For example over the weekend I did my first metcon in a couple months - Fran with 105 lbs in 2:54. I was really sore in the legs for a few days after that. The reason is that I haven't done a single thruster in all of 2010.

On the other hand, I've been doing lots of heavy Olympic lifting regularly and I don't get sore anymore. I've been doing a few long runs and it used to be the case that everything over 10 miles would leave my lower legs and feet sore, but now I feel fine afterward.

So whatever is causing your DOMS, just add it into your routine regularly.


A lot of people have already mentioned some of the best ways to treat DOMS. I would agree with most of them:

- eat more calories, especially protein
- take an extra nap
- take ibuprofen
- apply lots of ice
- get a massage, do self-massage, or do foam-rolling

Hope that helps.
Shane, I was about to fire back to your suggestion about ibuprofen with this:

http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...n-peoples.html WFS. I try to avoid the NSAIDs as much as possible, and my trainer won't let us train if we've recently taken any because she said it blocks pain receptors that tell us if we're doing something wrong. What are your thoughts? I respect what you say a lot in these forums.
__________________
Strength is more than just the number of plates on the bar. It is everything that is overcome with each lift. - Liz Edmonds My log (WFS).
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Well, Kelly Starrett is a smart dude, but I disagree that you should never take it. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are powerful drugs and we should use them for that purpose.

He's right that the body's inflammatory response is the first step in the healing process, which ultimately makes us better athletes. But:
a) sometimes the pain is seriously too much to bear. Have you ever been so sore that simply moving was incredibly painful? I have, on many occasions. I'm not a wimp, but if I want to do a semi-productive workout that day, I'm going to need something to ease the pain.

b) If you're body is painfully sore, you've already set yourself back in training! I used to think that soreness was a good thing, but now I just realize it's a sign of being ill-prepared for a workout and over-doing it. NSAIDs do interfere with that inflammatory process, but it's not like they completely eliminate all the gains from that workout. Furthermore, if your muscles are that sore to begin with, you're not making that much progress in the first place!

I agree that long-term NSAID use is bad. I don't take that stuff every day. I take it when I am in pain, because that's what it's for.





Point to take from my posts is that you should try to prevent DOMS, so that you only have to treat it when necessary.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Jesse Gray
Affiliate Jesse Gray is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 545
Re: Anything for DOMS?

I would pretty much avoid NSAIDs entirely. If your pain is minor enough that some ibuprofen will make it better then it isn't that bad or you can just take some aspirin/tylenol instead. Ibuprofen is banned from trainer's locker rooms for a reason, it negative impact on the recovery process far outweighs the potential benefits.
__________________
My Box!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #17
Mike McGee
Member Mike McGee is offline
 
Mike McGee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springfield  VA
Posts: 165
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D Barry View Post
OK, I'm curious about the "Roll Out" and "Foam rolling" suggestions. I've never tried that, and I'm not sure exactly how it's done.
Mark, where do you work out? Most gyms have some of these laying around. Here's a link on what they look like. I use it mostly for my back, but I have used it on my legs and abs before.

http://www.foam-roller.com/ (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #18
Meghan Reid
Member Meghan Reid is offline
 
Meghan Reid's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,475
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Well, Kelly Starrett is a smart dude, but I disagree that you should never take it. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are powerful drugs and we should use them for that purpose.

He's right that the body's inflammatory response is the first step in the healing process, which ultimately makes us better athletes. But:
a) sometimes the pain is seriously too much to bear. Have you ever been so sore that simply moving was incredibly painful? I have, on many occasions. I'm not a wimp, but if I want to do a semi-productive workout that day, I'm going to need something to ease the pain.

b) If you're body is painfully sore, you've already set yourself back in training! I used to think that soreness was a good thing, but now I just realize it's a sign of being ill-prepared for a workout and over-doing it. NSAIDs do interfere with that inflammatory process, but it's not like they completely eliminate all the gains from that workout. Furthermore, if your muscles are that sore to begin with, you're not making that much progress in the first place!

I agree that long-term NSAID use is bad. I don't take that stuff every day. I take it when I am in pain, because that's what it's for.

Point to take from my posts is that you should try to prevent DOMS, so that you only have to treat it when necessary.
I reread the article and you're right. I think he's speaking to the chronic "lifting X always makes my XYZ sore" crowd. Now that I think about it, the girl my trainer was talking to was a chronic "I'm insane and ignore bad back pain by slathering myself in tiger balm and then doing deadlifts." My trainer refused to let her train.

Thanks for the response, it makes sense.
__________________
Strength is more than just the number of plates on the bar. It is everything that is overcome with each lift. - Liz Edmonds My log (WFS).
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #19
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Soreness, in general, does not mean you had a good workout.

IMO it's generally a bad thing because in most cases it tends to tell you that you overdid things... or that you were doing new exercises which you already knew.

It's basically a mechanism (like pain) by which you can tell that your body isn't ready to do more...


NSAIDs and other anti-inflams as well as anti-oxidants blunt adaptations to training. So if you're a chronic user, and you're not progressing well in your workouts well... that may be a reason there.

As far as alleviating DOMs yeah anti-inflams do work to some extent, so does cold/contrast.. massage supposedly doesn't from studies..

Ehhh, I would in general try to tend to avoid DOMS just so you don't haev toworry about it. excesive volume DOMS is easily avoidable
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book

Last edited by Steven Low : 08-13-2010 at 08:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
Mike McGee
Member Mike McGee is offline
 
Mike McGee's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Springfield  VA
Posts: 165
Re: Anything for DOMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Soreness, in general, does not mean you had a good workout.
Steven, your answer reminded me of another thread. (wfs) However in this one, the guy was saying he was having no pain after lifting heavy. Anyways, people talk about how you should feel and some of the ways they prevent soreness and such. I thought maybe it would be appropriate to link it here.

Mike
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doms Michael Halbfish Fitness 15 10-05-2008 07:03 PM
DOMS with SS Thomas Hathaway Fitness 2 08-04-2008 07:38 AM
No DOMS? Ezequiel Martinez Vazquez Exercises 1 05-30-2008 08:13 AM
DOMS?? Cameron D. Hetzel Jr Injuries 3 08-11-2006 01:04 PM
DOMS Tim Holmes Starting 7 12-12-2003 11:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.