CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #21
Angela Childress

Profile:
Re: How to fail at Crossfit

Thanks for this post.

I think this should be a sticky!!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #22
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Moran View Post
THANKS Rebecca & Katherine!! That is especially good news to hear that I don't have to scale back profusely forever -- hiking is too beautiful an experience out here in Colorado. I am continuing to read more and more on this.

I have not been a junk food/processed food eater since I was a young teen. I got into vitamins and health food when I was 17, and have not looked back. The past 15 years I found that I do best on high protein/high fat (MUFA's). So the food situation (except eating more) should not be an issue. Hopefully I will get to see a CF trainer at Bally's gym tomorrow to get a head start.

Many thanks again, I am charged to get this started. The 50lbs. being the initial motivation could truly end up being life changing outside of going into the nursing path.
Do your regular CrossFit stuff and then put aside Sundays for a nice, long hike. In the Primal Blueprint book, Mark Sisson actually recommends substantial low to moderate aerobic activity.

Last edited by Stephanie Walters : 09-22-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #23
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: How to fail at CrossFit

Well said Katherine. At my gym everyone goes through 4 Introductory Workouts so we can see what kind of shape they are in. We typically start them on a Monday. We workout Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday for the new folks and our Foundation class. These are our 4 Intro Workouts so people can get an idea of how scaled down they are:

Intro W.O.D. #1
Warm up:
Row 750m on Concept2, teach proper rowing technique.

Skill:
Air Squats, 10 to 20 minutes depending on how they look

W.O.D.:
2 rounds for time
10 push-ups
15 Abmat sit-ups, extending hands between knees (easiest ones)
7 pull-ups (we use assist bands, everyone gets them done)

We do write the Intro Workouts on the white board under our CrossFit workout and Foundation class workout. People get the idea it is a small taste of what is to come.

Intro W.O.D. #2
W/U:
Run 800m (we explain we do our best to run in CrossFit not jog)

Skills:
Air Squats for reinforcement
Teach Kettle Bell swings, do 30 in a row (f 1 pood/m 1.5 pood) we almost always scale down the weight.

W.O.D.
2 rounds for time
20 lunges, alternate legs (we don't have indoor room for real lunges)
10 knees to elbows
20 dumb bell bench press (f 15 lbs. /m 25 lbs.)

Intro W.O.D. #3
W/U:
50 single-unders x 3, 30 seconds rest

Skills:
G.H.D. Intro ***Please note extreme low rep count***
10 G.H.D. sit-ups to neutral position (this is only about 1/2 a full G.H.D. sit-up, we continue to introduce G.H.D. work very slowly and carefully)
10 back extensions
10 hip extensions

W.O.D.
3 rounds for time
10 20" box jumps (teach full extension of hip and knees at top)
5 Push-ups
10 Kettle bell swings (f 35 lbs./m 53 lbs.) (we always end up scaling down the weight!)

Intro W.O.D. #4
W/U:
3 rounds, steady work, with good form, not for time
5 push-ups
5 pull-ups (almost always assisted)
5 sit-ups

Skills:
Dumb bell shoulder press 5-5-5

W.O.D.
3 rounds for time
15 Wall ball shots, 8' target, (F 10 lbs./ M 14 lbs.) almost always scaled lighter.
500m Row

I ask after each workout if the client or potential client felt like they were working hard. Affirmative! I also joke that I can make it longer if they want. So far no one has ever taken me up on that offer.

CrossFit is powerful medicine! Do yourself a favor and go easier than you possibly think could do any good. Focus on good form and honest reps. Watch the videos on main site and You Tube to learn what correct form is. After 4 weeks of the scaled workouts you can start to hit the met cons harder. You may be disappointed in your times but hopefully you won't be so sore your can't try again tomorrow.

Welcome the greatest community of people I have ever had the honor of being affiliated with!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #24
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I would add "being intimidated" to the list.

First time you go to CF, EVERYONE in the room will do more rounds or do them faster. That was hard for me to get over.

Its a very new thing, but get in and do it!

Crossfitters are all solid people, who rememer what the first time was like!

Last edited by Milton Brisson : 09-24-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: had more to say!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #25
Anita Reyes

Profile:

To Dorothy...

I am a nurse. If you are just starting your nursing career you will most likely have to work night shift for a while. The idea of scaling back and allowing for full rest and recovery will become crucial once you make the move to night shift. I don't know how things are in Colorado, but in FL we do 12 hour shifts - 7pm to 7am. Nothing else in your life will work if you sacrifice on sleep/rest/recovery. Work, sleep and WODs will be better if your nutrition is on target. Good luck and have fun with your CF workouts!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #26
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
First time you go to CF, EVERYONE in the room will do more rounds or do them faster. That was hard for me to get over.
It's still like this for some of us...
Old 10-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #27
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Moran View Post
THANKS Rebecca & Katherine!! That is especially good news to hear that I don't have to scale back profusely forever -- hiking is too beautiful an experience out here in Colorado. I am continuing to read more and more on this.

I have not been a junk food/processed food eater since I was a young teen. I got into vitamins and health food when I was 17, and have not looked back. The past 15 years I found that I do best on high protein/high fat (MUFA's). So the food situation (except eating more) should not be an issue. Hopefully I will get to see a CF trainer at Bally's gym tomorrow to get a head start.

Many thanks again, I am charged to get this started. The 50lbs. being the initial motivation could truly end up being life changing outside of going into the nursing path.
I read this post and knew without even looking at your sig that you would be in Boulder. Westminster is close enough haha.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
Dorothy Moran

Profile:

Anita -- THANKS for the advice. I am really a bit on edge how this is all going to coalesce. I stsrted CNA training this week, so a month from now being out in the workforce again is going to make the strength training, studying for RN, possibly sleeping all a real interesting balancing act. But you are so right, it will all be a waste if I don't get the sleep & recovery.

The trainer at Bally's has me currently just doing prelim workouts till we progress to me getting to CrossFit and strength trainig - I am doing lunges, squats, the chin up machine, push ups, med ball. But it is great for me so far, as I am seeing muscle in my arms and quads that I have not before!! I am eating a lot more -- lots more protein, almond butter, coconut oil, eggs, etc. I am a bit apprehensive, as I am scared it will end up as adipose tissue and NOT more muscle tissue, but time will tell.

Sean -- well I hike in Boulder, so I consider that home!
This neck o' the woods in W'minster is WORLDS away from Boulder though. ;0)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Yeah, I know it's a bit much to bump my own thread, but a few recent posters could probably stand to read it.

Katherine
Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i gotta be one of the new posters you're talking about and i'll admit you hit the nail on the head. coming to crossfit i wasn't exactly coming from nothing i had a decent four month globo- LI workout routine going and was seeing some decent gains and some of my lifts were solid and i've seen a decrease in them since coming to crossfit (more due to weight-loss, i think is a great program or i wouldn't be paying $155 a month to get tortured).

in a month i now basically do everything RX and i'll admit that's an ego thing, i'm a Marine, ex-wrestler and i just have that mentality that i don't want to scale, it is 100% an ego thing for me i'll admit it.

as for eating... i suppose i'm not eating enough but i'm just not that hungry to eat more. maybe i'll drink some shakes or something?