CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Hannu Halonen

Profile:
Re: How to fail at Crossfit

The whole training thing is pretty interesting. There are no one golden way to do things, but bunch of really affective workouts, medhods etc. that you just have to find right blocks to build a solid base for program and periodisation that suits just for your needs and goals.

I agree that sometimes problem may be too much too fast. In my opinnion the main thing is start same way than building a house. First you need a proper plan (workouts and movements) and materials (bars, kettlebells, ropes, dumbbells, boxes etc.) Then you need to build a solid base structure with patience (learning the right techniques for the movements, also to avoid injuries). When the base is done you can start aim your own goals more precicely wether it be to become a better housemom, firefighter or aim to be a professional football player.

Working as a personal trainer I also want to drop out the "pressure of the industry". It easily brainwashes you to think that because you are an example for your customers you need to push a bit harder and harder. I also find myself sometimes not allow myself to just keep a proper rest day or slow down a bit.

Last edited by Hannu Halonen : 08-11-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
Andrew D White

Profile:

KD, I really like the things you have to say.

I have one of your sentences rattling around in my head every time I run now.
"so much better to finish slow than to quit" (paraphrased) is what I hear myself thinking when I run because I despise running and my ancestors who couldn't just be quadrupeds.

I reckon some of these will be rattling around in there too now.

Nice thread.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
Alexander Martin

Profile:

Nice post.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Sean Clark

Profile:

Great post, Katherine -- filled with great advice. I am 6 weeks into CrossFit, starting from a point of being extremely obese (5'11" and ~270#, down form 315 last November). I'm hitting my local box 3-4 times a week, eating well (fairly strict Paleo), scaling the WODs to make sure that my form stays decent and allowing myself to take rest days when I need them, to let my body recover. I'm losing weight at a steady, consistent rate ( 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week) while building strength and maintaining muscle mass. I'm in this for the long haul, not looking for a quick fix (although the results in the last 6 weeks have been pretty amazing!).

I love the workouts, the people and the results!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
Gabe Storm

Profile:

I've been doing CrossFit for a little over 8 months now and so far it's been pretty successful. I have done and will continue to do extra strength training on my own, but I'm also careful to pick my spots and keep that sort of thing very limited. I'm in this for the long haul.

I do hear that nagging little voice though, telling me not to worry about rest days, to go ahead and do a little bit more. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring it though.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Keefa Earls

Profile:

This is a great post that i can relate to. For a while last year i was dabbling in CF but still hanging on to my old workouts...sometimes i would even do insanity in the AM and a scaled WOD in the eve but i have definately learned my lesson.

the difference now is i am no longer "dabbling" in CF, it is my sole athletic, fitness, regiment and I am seeing great results! I even joined a local affiliate and its made all the difference in the world for me.... in succeeding and seeing strengh improvements.

thank you
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #17
Dorothy Moran

Profile:

Thanks for the tips Katherine!! I am completely new to all of this, as a trainer at Ballys told me about CF two days ago. I am 49, quite skinny, and pursuing a career in nursing, so I need to be able to lift at least 50lbs. That was my original goal in speaking to the trainer, but shocked to be told of CF. I have been an aerobically brain-washed woman all my life. I started long distance running at 16, had to stop at 32 from incessant injuries, started cycling my brains out instead, and hiking as well.

I have studied nutrition as a layperson since '78, and read tons of material on weight/exercise through the years, and again have been led to believe in the aerobic side to keep the weight off and to stay fit.

NOW my world has been rocked apart -- I know enough to know this CF premise is scarily sound. I say scarily because it is antithetical to all I have been doing, and now need to get the guts up to take that first step. BUT the trainer also told me that if I really want this to work I will need to scale back on the cycling & hiking to no more than 2x/week for no longer than 20 min. I cycle 1 hr/day 6 days/week, and I hike 2 hrs/day, 2 days/week.

He also said that if I do not double my caloric intake from 1700-1800/day it will be basically an effort in futility to gain strength.

I do "get it" -- I want to get my cortisol levels down (I had been pear-shaped all my life to recently, now any added weight goes straight to the ab area) and my muscle strength up. DO I have to scale back so drastically on my hiking & cycling? I LOVE doing them!!!!!!

Many thanks,

dorothy
Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I would say try cutting back just while you are starting out, even those who are relatively fit by normal standards will take a beating when starting out at CF. Once you are feeling comfortable with CF training and have good recovery, then being active for enjoyment likely won't even be a question, you will be able to do what you want. Separate from that, you sound like a perfect candidate for CF Endurance, which is CF training tuned specifically for those who are interested distance sports like running and cycling. Check out http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ (WFS)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Moran View Post
NOW my world has been rocked apart -- I know enough to know this CF premise is scarily sound. I say scarily because it is antithetical to all I have been doing, and now need to get the guts up to take that first step. BUT the trainer also told me that if I really want this to work I will need to scale back on the cycling & hiking to no more than 2x/week for no longer than 20 min. I cycle 1 hr/day 6 days/week, and I hike 2 hrs/day, 2 days/week.

He also said that if I do not double my caloric intake from 1700-1800/day it will be basically an effort in futility to gain strength.
Even without Crossfit, I'm surprised 1700 calories is adequate with that much aerobic exercise. You may not need to double it, but you almost certainly need to eat more.

You can make gains with Crossfit even if you're not doing workouts on a 3-1 schedule. So you can eventually find whatever balance between CF and other activities works for you. At the beginning, though, I'd advise scaling *way* back. It's easier to add more as you feel able than to recover from driving yourself into the ground.

Incidentally, 50 pounds is not a lot of weight. You should be able to reach that goal pretty quickly and move on to higher levels of awesomeness. Be sure to check out the Girl Power thread on the Community board to see what some other Crossfitting women have accomplished.

I'm glad the post was helpful.

Katherine
Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
Dorothy Moran

Profile:

THANKS Rebecca & Katherine!! That is especially good news to hear that I don't have to scale back profusely forever -- hiking is too beautiful an experience out here in Colorado. I am continuing to read more and more on this.

I have not been a junk food/processed food eater since I was a young teen. I got into vitamins and health food when I was 17, and have not looked back. The past 15 years I found that I do best on high protein/high fat (MUFA's). So the food situation (except eating more) should not be an issue. Hopefully I will get to see a CF trainer at Bally's gym tomorrow to get a head start.

Many thanks again, I am charged to get this started. The 50lbs. being the initial motivation could truly end up being life changing outside of going into the nursing path.