CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Overwhelmed - Help getting started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post

As for the bulking up issue, I'm not in the mood to touch that one right now.
But Tracy Anderson said...........:stir:
Old 07-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Andrea if you think your in good shape have a go at say -

"Cindy" 5 pullups / 10 pushups / 15 airsquats = 1 round

As many rounds as possible in 20mins.

Its a deceptive one - it looks relatively easy but infact isnt...most WODs are similar...

Infact it might be an idea to scale Cindy to 10mins when you start out!
(+1 for scaling to 10 mins, too)

Let us know how you do. My wife did Jillian's 30-day shred to level 3 and now she CrossFits. The "new" her could kick the "old" her's a$$ all day long. Most CF workouts look easy on paper. The more you do, the more you realize they're not.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
Andrea Grunberger

Profile:

Quote:
Find the time to read through everything. Katherine pointed you in the right direction. Doing WODs on your own at a globo gym will take some initiative. You'll need to do your research.

The WOD on crossfit.com is the workout. There is never a "beginner" workout listed on the main page. Although there is a CrossFit warm up, everyone generally warms up however they want to warm up. This is all covered in the FAQs. If you can easily do a WOD after Jillian Micahels' program, especially when you don't have experience with heavy weights, I will be shocked.

As for the bulking up issue, I'm not in the mood to touch that one right now.
Yeah, I am slowly but surely getting through the information...I am just on day 29 of my 30 day workout & want to start crossfit ASAP...and my class schedule SUCKS right now (i had class 8-5 today!! its a saturday!)
\
Anyways, I definitely wasn't suggesting I would do Jillian & crossfit on the same day, haha. That would be waaay to ridiculous (plus really hard to coordinate the muscle group workouts & what not)

And sorry if I offended on the bulking up issue...but I am well versed in exercise physiology & I do eat a high protein diet. Adding heavy weights into the mix is creating a very good equation that leads to muscle hypertrophy. I am pretty petite, but with an athletic build - my legs just tend to bulk pretty easily, but anyways. I'm over it, haha.

I will definitely start with the "Cindy"...and won't be surprised that I will suck at it, haha. My current workouts are tailored very differently, so I won't be surprised if I can barely get through 10 minutes...which I guess is what confuses me about CrossFit. I can see me being absolutely pooped from that particular workout, but I cant imagine I will burn that many calories....so I guess thats the part I need to read up more on.

But I should be getting a pull up bar tomorrow (considering the craigslist buyer i'm getting it from doesn't back out)...so hopefully I can report back tomorrow!!

Thanks for all the awesome replies
Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Grunberger View Post
I will definitely start with the "Cindy"...and won't be surprised that I will suck at it, haha. My current workouts are tailored very differently, so I won't be surprised if I can barely get through 10 minutes...which I guess is what confuses me about CrossFit. I can see me being absolutely pooped from that particular workout, but I cant imagine I will burn that many calories....so I guess thats the part I need to read up more on.
Crossfit doesn't care how many calories you burn. It's a fitness program, not a weight loss program.

Adding muscle will increase your resting metabolism, meaning that you burn more calories when you're *not* working out. But that's a side effect, not a goal.

Katherine
Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
James White

Profile:

Quote:
There is more to fitness than just how many calories you burn during a workout.

Read this:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf

Then read it again.

And a word to the wise (if you prefer learning from other's mistakes than your own):

Start CrossFit and forget about other workouts. I let myself be intimated by CF for almost 2 years (I think it was the Olympic lifts) before I drank the kool-aid. I can only imagine how much fitter I'd be if I had embraced it fully then.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #16
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, I am slowly but surely getting through the information...I am just on day 29 of my 30 day workout & want to start crossfit ASAP...and my class schedule SUCKS right now (i had class 8-5 today!! its a saturday!)
If you are eager to get started, don't have access to all of the equipment, and aren't familiar with the lifts, you can take a look at the bodyweight workout list:
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739 (WFS)

Quote:
Anyways, I definitely wasn't suggesting I would do Jillian & crossfit on the same day, haha. That would be waaay to ridiculous (plus really hard to coordinate the muscle group workouts & what not)
What I meant was that doing 30 days of Jillian's program has probably been a good thing, but in the end, CrossFit is a different animal. So, you may not be in as great of shape as you think once you do a WOD or two.

Quote:
And sorry if I offended on the bulking up issue...but I am well versed in exercise physiology & I do eat a high protein diet. Adding heavy weights into the mix is creating a very good equation that leads to muscle hypertrophy. I am pretty petite, but with an athletic build - my legs just tend to bulk pretty easily, but anyways. I'm over it, haha.
Don't worry, it's basically impossible to offend me. CrossFit WODs will not generally lead to the kind of hypertrophy that isolation moves at high reps can create. It all depends on your definition of "bulky." This has been discussed at length in several threads recently. Overally, I think you will find that the women on this forum are more concerned with being strong than with how their physique is perceived. Certainly, there are plenty of people here who are trying to lose weight or lean out, but women having visible muscles tends to be seen as a positive thing. And, there are those of us who would gladly add a few inches to our thighs for a bigger squat.

Quote:

But I should be getting a pull up bar tomorrow (considering the craigslist buyer i'm getting it from doesn't back out)...so hopefully I can report back tomorrow!!

Thanks for all the awesome replies
I would just throw all of your ideas about calories burned from exercise out the window. You're not going to be able to figure it out, and it doesn't matter in the end.

I hope the pullup bar works out. Walmart and Target generally have some fairly inexpensive doorway bars as well.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #17
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Iíve been looking at the website for the past few days, but I am just really overwhelmed & canít figure out where to start...
Oh yeah...don't forget the "Start Here" link on the mainsite. Crucial. (Don't worry, I missed it too the first time.)
Old 07-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
Angelina Kelly

Profile:

Welcome. As others have said, Crossfit workouts often look deceptively easy.

Wall balls for instance. One look at them and they don't look hard but I think I'm about to declare them to be my nemesis after doing over 50 of them today as part of a workout.

Also, one thing about muscle is if you don't like the muscle you gain, you can always cut back on your food or the workout and the muscle will atrophy (although why would you want that?).

I'd also take the advice of others who said visit an affiliate (or multiple) in your area to at least talk to someone in person about Crossfit.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Don't worry, it's basically impossible to offend me.
You remind me quite a bit of Tracy Anderson.

- Mark^3
Old 07-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #20
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
You remind me quite a bit of Tracy Anderson.

- Mark^3
The big head, huh?