CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Andrea Grunberger

Profile:
Overwhelmed - Help getting started!

Hello all! I have very recently discovered CrossFit & really want to get started. I consider myself to be pretty in shape. I just completed Jillian Michaelís ďMaking the CutĒ program (circuit training/plyo stuff) and am looking to start something new.

Iíve been looking at the website for the past few days, but I am just really overwhelmed & canít figure out where to start...I had found some beginner workouts, but they seemed like "beginner" in the sense that you aren;t in shape...so I didnt like that.

Anyways, I have access to a gym, but the crappy part is that the weight room (with the bar to to C&Js, etc) is totally separate from the cardio room. The cardio room has rowing maching & free weights up to 50lbs. There are also 2 diff weighted kettle balls, but no free wall to do those wall ball thingies (all mirrors!!) It also has a gravity-assisted dip/pull up machine & basic pull up bar. It would ruin the workouts if I had to go in between the 2 rooms...sooo stupid!

Could someone just point me in the right direction? I am just seriously overwhelmed & am having issues navigating this website. (for awhile, I thought the WOD was ALL there was to the workout...now I realize there is also a full warm up routine? stuff like that...its just very confusing to read & interpret)

Ah sorry for the length...I just really want to understand this all but do not have time to read through EVERYTHING (i've read a lot though...).

Ideally, I would love a program to get started...something to get me through a week or 2 of workouts to get me in the groove of this thing.

I also don't have too much experience with heavy weights, nor do I want to bulk up too much.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Overwhelmed - Help getting started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Grunberger View Post
Iíve been looking at the website for the past few days, but I am just really overwhelmed & canít figure out where to start...I had found some beginner workouts, but they seemed like "beginner" in the sense that you aren;t in shape...so I didnt like that.
Try them before you assume that. Many (most?) Crossfit workouts are deceptively difficult.

If you're looking for something in between a "beginner" workout and the main page, visit Brand X for scaled versions of the main page workouts. (Linked from the Start Here tab on the main page.) Both BrandX and the main page comments have good information about subs for exercises that you can't do due to skill or equipment limitations.

Quote:
Anyways, I have access to a gym, but the crappy part is that the weight room (with the bar to to C&Js, etc) is totally separate from the cardio room. The cardio room has rowing maching & free weights up to 50lbs. There are also 2 diff weighted kettle balls, but no free wall to do those wall ball thingies (all mirrors!!) It also has a gravity-assisted dip/pull up machine & basic pull up bar. It would ruin the workouts if I had to go in between the 2 rooms...sooo stupid!
This is why people join affiliates. If that's not an option, just do the best you can with what's available.

Quote:
Could someone just point me in the right direction? I am just seriously overwhelmed & am having issues navigating this website. (for awhile, I thought the WOD was ALL there was to the workout...now I realize there is also a full warm up routine? stuff like that...its just very confusing to read & interpret)
If you read nothing else, read
* The site FAQ, linked from the main page.
* The sticky post at the top of this forum.
* The BrandX forum thread and the demo videos for whatever workout you're about to do.
* The Girl Power thread in the Community forum. Great for support and inspiration.

Quote:
Ideally, I would love a program to get started...something to get me through a week or 2 of workouts to get me in the groove of this thing.

I also don't have too much experience with heavy weights, nor do I want to bulk up too much.
There's an On Ramp program that affiliates use to help beginners get started. I don't have a link handy -- maybe someone else will post -- but that would be the best choice. Second best would be scaled versions of the main page workouts.

As for bulking up . . . you won't. You'll build some muscle and certainly add tone, but you're just not going to look like a bodybuilder unless you eat accordingly.

Katherine
Old 07-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Find the time to read through everything. Katherine pointed you in the right direction. Doing WODs on your own at a globo gym will take some initiative. You'll need to do your research.

The WOD on crossfit.com is the workout. There is never a "beginner" workout listed on the main page. Although there is a CrossFit warm up, everyone generally warms up however they want to warm up. This is all covered in the FAQs. If you can easily do a WOD after Jillian Micahels' program, especially when you don't have experience with heavy weights, I will be shocked.

As for the bulking up issue, I'm not in the mood to touch that one right now.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

1. What Katherine said.

2. A quick google maps search tells me there are 4 affiliates in the Charleston area. Most affiliates offer a free class to first-timers. My advice would be to take the free class at all of them (every other day or spread out over a couple of weeks) and take the time to talk with the trainers about your goals, concerns and questions with Crossfit and what their particular box has to offer. Check out their websites too. If you can afford it, join the one that fits you best. Otherwise, at least you've gotten a taste of what it's like. Chances are one or more of them will pique your interest more than the others.

3. I would add that bulking up will likely happen only if you eat for it (as Katherine said, drinking lots of Milk etc.) and train for it (e.g. heavy strength bias). And even then it depends on a number of factors including your current body composition, genetics and history (i.e. previous athletic experience or lack thereof). This is a common and somewhat legitimate concern among women. I urge you to read through the girl power thread. Maybe Tamara will address this more in the future as I would promote her as an excellent example of a woman who has gotten stronger and become a great crossfitter (I believe she was at sectionals) without "bulking up." Also Lauren Pryor (CrossFit games competitor) and Allison Bishop (CrossFit Obsession affiliate) come to mind. I'm sure I've missed many others.

4. Good luck and

Edit: Nice new pic Tamara! Knee high socks and a bikini doing front squats?!?!?! Do you have a sister, is she single and does she crossfit?

Last edited by Jonathan Dilgen : 07-10-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added some extras
Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I also don't have too much experience with heavy weights"

THat needs to change. The faster, the better.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Dilgen View Post
Edit: Nice new pic Tamara! Knee high socks and a bikini doing front squats?!?!?! Do you have a sister, is she single and does she crossfit?
Thanks. A promise is a promise. Yes, no, and when pigs fly.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Tell her to get started, Tam. (wfs).

- Mark
Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Oh, well. Wishful thinking...
Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Jonathan Dilgen

Profile:

Also, if you decide to try out free classes, talk to athletes who train at the affiliates to get their impression of what the training is like long term.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Grunberger View Post
..I had found some beginner workouts, but they seemed like "beginner" in the sense that you aren;t in shape...so I didnt like that.

Andrea if you think your in good shape have a go at say -

"Cindy" 5 pullups / 10 pushups / 15 airsquats = 1 round

As many rounds as possible in 20mins.

Its a deceptive one - it looks relatively easy but infact isnt...most WODs are similar...

Infact it might be an idea to scale Cindy to 10mins when you start out!