CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #21
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Any reasonably varied diet, including a strict vegan diet, will provide all the protein you need as long as your calorie intake is adequate.
The only major sources of vegan paleo protein are nuts. Personally, I cannot train properly without at least 150g of protein per day. I've been training for awhile now and I know what happens if I don't meet my protein requirements.
Have you ever tried to eat 150g of protein via nuts? That means over a pound of nuts daily. Not only is that expensive, but you'll throw your fat intake out of whack, and your digestive system will not appreciate that at all.

The only major sources of vegan protein are nuts and legumes. Most vegans rely on soy (a legume) for their protein requirements, either as soy milk, tofu, or some sort of soy isolate powder. Soy has been associated with altering hormonal levels, and it's widely accepted among the strength athletics community that men should not be consuming the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The archeological record shows that paleo-man ate both grains and legumes.

Yes, in incredibly minuscule amounts. Not as the primary source of protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Silveira View Post
Eh... can't the same be said about the majority of animals most people are ingesting?
Yes, which is why most of us recommend getting grass-fed free-range beef and other products whenever possible.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #22
Departed

Profile:  

If you are going to lift heavy things, which CF requires once in awhile, you need meat. Period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	6403  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
Cassie Savage

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
The only major sources of vegan paleo protein are nuts.
Veggies often have more. Especially leafy greens and brussel sprouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gedicks View Post
If you are going to lift heavy things, which CF requires once in awhile, you need meat. Period.
http://veganfitness.net/ (WFS) begs to differ. Though it probably would be hard to lift heavy things if you were limited to nuts and seeds, veggies, and fruit.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
Veggies often have more. Especially leafy greens and brussel sprouts.
Um, no. An ounce of brussel sprouts has a whopping 1g of protein.

So if you wanted to get 96g of protein (about 60% of what I need to take in), you could eat one of the following vegan-friendly items:
  • 3 pounds of brussel sprouts
  • 3/4 pound of walnuts

Or if you did not want to be paleo, you could eat one of the following paleo-friendly products to do the same:
  • 3/4 pound of goat meat or lean turkey
  • 6 cups of whole milk

I can't even imagine what sort of havoc the first list would wreak on my digestive system. The second list, on the other hand, I can consume every day and feel great.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
So if you wanted to get 96g of protein (about 60% of what I need to take in), you could eat one of the following vegan-friendly items:
FWIW, many pro-vegan arguments begin by claiming that people don't actually need very much protein. Obviously, the less you need, the easier it is to get sufficient quantities from vegan sources. Equally obviously, there isn't much point in arguing with someone who holds that belief.

To the OP, I would just say that diet is critical to performance. Inadequate diet can and will undermine everything you're working for in the gym. Which is not to say that you're on the wrong path, just that you've chosen a very difficult route, and will need to pay very close attention to make sure you aren't digging yourself a nutritional hole.

Katherine
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
Cassie Savage

Profile:

Quote:
Um, no. An ounce of brussel sprouts has a whopping 1g of protein.

• 3 pounds of brussel sprouts
  • 3/4 pound of walnuts

Or if you did not want to be paleo, you could eat one of the following paleo-friendly products to do the same:
  • 3/4 pound of goat meat or lean turkey
  • 6 cups of whole milk

I can't even imagine what sort of havoc the first list would wreak on my digestive system. The second list, on the other hand, I can consume every day and feel great.
Sorry, I meant per calorie. 200 calories of walnuts has about 4 or 5 grams of protein, 200 calories of brussel sprouts has about 15.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Savage View Post
Sorry, I meant per calorie. 200 calories of walnuts has about 4 or 5 grams of protein, 200 calories of brussel sprouts has about 15.
Except that 200 calories of brussels sprouts is more than 3 cups, while 200 calories of walnuts is about 1/3 cup. Is it even physically possible to eat 3 cups of brussels sprouts at a time?

Katherine
Old 05-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #28
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
To the OP, I would just say that diet is critical to performance. Inadequate diet can and will undermine everything you're working for in the gym. Which is not to say that you're on the wrong path, just that you've chosen a very difficult route, and will need to pay very close attention to make sure you aren't digging yourself a nutritional hole.

Katherine
As usual, Katherine has probably the most helpful answer in this thread.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #29
Cassie Savage

Profile:

Quote:
Except that 200 calories of brussels sprouts is more than 3 cups, while 200 calories of walnuts is about 1/3 cup. Is it even physically possible to eat 3 cups of brussels sprouts at a time?

Katherine
I actually have, but then again I really love brussel sprouts. It's not uncommon for me to eat an entire steamfresh bag of them at once. I see your point though.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #30
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
FWIW, many pro-vegan arguments begin by claiming that people don't actually need very much protein.
Yes, but that's because in my experience most vegans fall into one of the following categories:
  • not interested in fitness (aka doesn't train)
  • endurance athletes (running, swimming, hiking, cycling, triathlon)
  • low-intensity activities (yoga, pilates)

In which case, they're right, you don't need a heck of a lot of protein.

On the other hand, any sort athlete who does high-intensity activity aside from endurance sports (football, track, powerlifting, O-lifting, rugby, CrossFit, firefighting, soldiering, bodybuilding, construction) needs significantly more protein. You'll see some people in the above categories following a vegan diet, but they are extremely rare and they are usually relying heavily on some sort of soy-based supplement (which I see to be bad for you).