CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: ATTENtiON LADIES!/Weight Loss on CF

I like carina
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Yeah, but if anyone follows your progression of pictures on FB, they can see how it worked out for you. Yes, you are super muscular and I'll agree that some people, especially outside of this community might not find that "lean and mean" as the OP suggests. However you FIRST dropped a ton of fat and hung out there for awhile before you really leaned out to the point where a lot of musculature was visible. Right? Point being, the OP could definitely have the fat loss results you experienced and call it a day at that point (vs the games intensity training you're doing now). Does this make sense?
Yes, I see what you're saying. I'm actually surprised at the number of people outside of CF who comment on my body in a positive way, haha. I wore a strapless dress to my brother's wedding yesterday, and my arms were talked about quite a bit. Of course, everyone probably thinks I do bicep curls and crunches .

You're right. I train a lot and I train hard. It just never dawned on me to think, "Okay, now my body looks how I want it to look, so I'm going to stop training as hard." Because body composition was never the goal. I mean, my husband would gladly have me 10 lbs heavier with bigger boobs again if he had the choice...my body from August of last year instead of today. And, he probably wishes he'd taken me in our head to head Grace throwdown also. Too bad for him .
Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

I don't think I'm any bulkier than before. I am certainly not lean. My muscles are about like they've always been. You aren't going to wake up one day and suddenly you're bulky. If for some freaky cosmic thing you do, then you can drop the 165# barbell and pick up the 3# dumbbells.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
John Jaeckel

Profile:

A few observations:

1) CF doesn't make ANYONE bulky, from what I've seen.

Dedicated commitment to WODs and a good diet will result (generally) in fat loss that's 2-3 times muscle gain (in pounds). Example, lose 30 pounds overall, gain 5-10 pounds of muscle. I've been at it since August. Lost 35 pounds overall, gained 10 pounds of muscle. 3-4 inches off my waist, 1 1/2 inches off my neck, down from XXL to XL in t-shirts.

2) The above transformation will cause you to lose shirt/dress sizes, not gain them.

3) I'm just one guy, but I think dedicated CF and diet makes women look pretty hot.

4) "I don't want to get bulky" (in my 30 years of training in various regimens) means 99% of the time, "I don't want to work very hard." If you try CF and stick with it, you will work. Very hard. And you will love it.

I hope you do.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
A few observations:

1) CF doesn't make ANYONE bulky, from what I've seen.

Dedicated commitment to WODs and a good diet will result (generally) in fat loss that's 2-3 times muscle gain (in pounds). Example, lose 30 pounds overall, gain 5-10 pounds of muscle. I've been at it since August. Lost 35 pounds overall, gained 10 pounds of muscle. 3-4 inches off my waist, 1 1/2 inches off my neck, down from XXL to XL in t-shirts.

2) The above transformation will cause you to lose shirt/dress sizes, not gain them.

3) I'm just one guy, but I think dedicated CF and diet makes women look pretty hot.

4) "I don't want to get bulky" (in my 30 years of training in various regimens) means 99% of the time, "I don't want to work very hard." If you try CF and stick with it, you will work. Very hard. And you will love it.

I hope you do.

Good points John. I do think the reason women say this is because of intimidation as well. The way a traditional gym is set up, there is so much segregation going on: the women are all on the treadmills and the men are over in the corner lifting the heavy stuff. I remember what it was like to think about going over there and possibly being thought of as stupid, etc. because I wouldn't have had a clue what to do. It's easier for most women to just stay in their comfort zone than to try something new. I am so thankful to have found CrossFit and a good trainer that taught me how to lift heavy stuff. My favorite workouts now all involve a heavy barbell

Oh, and I weigh 113#. Not bulky at all!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
Carina McDonald

Profile:

Um actually you know what made me join Crossfit three weeks ago?

I was at a family brunch and a family member reached across us. My jaw dropped when I saw her (beautiful!) arm muscles. I decided to find out from her what exactly she does...

et voila! Found out about Crossfit, went to a few sessions, fully addicted now
Old 05-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Mahoney View Post
If for some freaky cosmic thing you do, then you can drop the 165# barbell and pick up the 3# dumbbells.
But, then I will come after you...
Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #18
Stephanie Vincent

Profile:

I have struggled with weight my WHOLE life. Right before starting crossfit I decided i was going to first accpet my body for what it was and then LOVE IT. No doubt that mind set lead me to find CF and a better relationship with food. I have lost 60lbs in 7m without trying, loving WODs, loving eating.

Also I have lost weight before but NEVER have I had a waist and always still had back fat. Crossfit is definatly reshaping my body. I could NEVER go back to cardo alone again. I'm in love with getting my *** kicked...and lifting heavy stuff!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Like everyone else has said, without specifically training for the extra muscle mass, it ain't gonna magically appear. Just focus on what you need to do, and let the end results speak for themselves. You're not going to be masculine, or even close to it, without training for it.

Check out the journal entry (WFS) about Beauty in Strength, none of those women look anything less than strong and beautiful.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

The only woman that I met who did Crossfit quit the program because her thighs got too bulky for her pants.