CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #21
Gordon Cooke

Profile:
Re: Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Read the links Casey gave you. Dude, you need to eat some PROTEIN. Beef, chicken, fish, eggs. Bread, waffles, peanut butter and jelly are just loading your body with carbs and sugar. I know you are somewhat limited by having to eat what's at home, but you have to make the effort.

You have to get your nutrition in check or your going to have problems with results from any exercise program. I wish I had the information off this site when I was your age. Read everything you can off this site and reread it again, especially on nutrition. Also read the links the others here have just provided you. I understand that you are living at home, but you may have to get a part time job and supplement your diet with food like more eggs, meat, nuts, olive oil, etc. At your age you can eat a lot of these foods, so eating should become your new hobby It may not be easy, but believe me, nothing worthwhile is. You will understand as you get older. Please don't think we are being harsh, but at your age, you are in the prime development years for building strength and fitness. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS!!!!!!!!!

If you are worried about gaining too much weight, up the calories (from quality foods) slowly by a few hundred calories a day and monitor the results. Results should be monitored by strength increase, increased performance on workouts, and a measuring tape (not the scale).
Old 01-30-2010, 07:25 AM   #22
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cartwright View Post
I normally eat whatever's available. Usually I'll have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for either breakfast or lunch. Sometimes for breakfast I'll eat toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup. I try to eat a lot of peanut butter.
What goal is this diet targeting?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
Daniel Cartwright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
What goal is this diet targeting?
I try to eat as much protein as possible, and peanut butter has protein. 8 grams in every two tablespoons, and I will check out those links.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #24
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cartwright View Post
I try to eat as much protein as possible, and peanut butter has protein. 8 grams in every two tablespoons, and I will check out those links.
(1) There are MANY better sources of protein, and
(2) My question was more one of "what objective you are trying to meet with that diet", not just "why are you eating so much peanut butter."

Just for the sake of asking...what are the first eight ingredients on your nearest can of peanut butter?

- Mark
Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #25
Casey Crooks

Profile:

to be fair eating peanut butter should not be his main dietary worry. peanut butter isnt messing up his diet. the other stuff is. its not perfect but its much more perfect than the grains and such.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I can't remember the exact article or who wrote it (Cordain or Wolf maybe), but I remember reading somewhere that you can't consider peanut butter or any other kind of nut as a good protein source because the protein is bound to the non-digestible fiber in the nut/legume, and as such isn't absorbed by the body.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
to be fair eating peanut butter should not be his main dietary worry. peanut butter isnt messing up his diet. the other stuff is. its not perfect but its much more perfect than the grains and such.
Right, but clearly he has something in mind in eating so much peanut butter. Totally reasonable for me to ask what that something is.

With the answer being "protein" (as I figured it would be), heading him off toward better sources of protein is (at least in my mind) perfectly appropriate. I wasn't trying to suggest that it's the only adjustment that he needs to make. You're right that there are several.

- Mark
Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #28
Casey Crooks

Profile:

sorry i came off a little bit rough there. your right mark.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Peanut butter can be used to easily add calories to a diet to help someone gain weight. This works only if the diet has a solid foundation.

"Usually I'll have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for either breakfast or lunch. Sometimes for breakfast I'll eat toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup. I try to eat a lot of peanut butter"

This is a ****ty diet.

Usually I'll have 5 eggs, some sausage or bacon and some veggies for breakfast. Then I'll make a shake with whole milk, peanut butter, yougurt and some fruit.

At lunch I'll have at least a half pound of meat (bbq brisket is good, so is pulled chicken), a big plate of veggies and a PB&J sandwich.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #30
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Peanut butter can be used to easily add calories to a diet to help someone gain weight. This works only if the diet has a solid foundation.

"Usually I'll have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for either breakfast or lunch. Sometimes for breakfast I'll eat toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup. I try to eat a lot of peanut butter"

This is a ****ty diet.

Usually I'll have 5 eggs, some sausage or bacon and some veggies for breakfast. Then I'll make a shake with whole milk, peanut butter, yougurt and some fruit.

At lunch I'll have at least a half pound of meat (bbq brisket is good, so is pulled chicken), a big plate of veggies and a PB&J sandwich.

Jamie, what's the most meat you eat in a sitting? I've been known to eat a whole pound of steak or chicken for dinner. Not above doing it for lunch either.