CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Vanessa Lee

Profile:
Re: Swine Flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markley View Post
Pandemic just refers to the size of the region the virus is affecting. H1N1 is no more infectious or lethal than plain-old, garden variety influenza (which is no laughing matter for some). The H1N1 is yet another instance of the media making hay of a story which from a technical, public health perspective is important, but impacts vanishingly few.

Why don't we hear more about the millions killed every year by malaria, or complications from diabetes? Heck, joke away!

Since swine flu has been around people have gone Purell crazy which they never do when normal flu season is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Delgado View Post
She's quite serious. I tried some of her oinkment and it worked like a champ. Although I have been having the strangest urges to lay in the mud...

As for the original poster question - apart from the already spoken of "oinkment" I really think you should just take it easy. Your entire body has been through a battle so give it some time to heal itself
Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Lee View Post

Since swine flu has been around people have gone Purell crazy which they never do when normal flu season is here

As for the original poster question - apart from the already spoken of "oinkment" I really think you should just take it easy. Your entire body has been through a battle so give it some time to heal itself
3,486 people have died of swine flu worldwide to date, up from 281 last week, according to figures released by, the World Health Organization (WHO).
WHO also announced that the total the global confirmed cases of the H1N1 pandemic have reached 296,471.

According to the WHO report, the Americas continue to post the highest death toll due to the potentially fatal virus, with 2,625 reported cases.
http://www.azdhs.gov/flu/h1n1/pdfs/n...ailyreport.pdf wfs for arizona state
alot of faciliaties have stopped testing for the generic cough, fever joint pain as the assumption is you have the flu you have h1n1 most likley. Since testing is sapping alot of funds. They are testing the ones that have no likely reason for being sick. Last week in my town, I personal seen 3 h1n1 postive swabs. 2 of which were sick enough to be placed on life support and moved to a higher level of medical support. The third was a child. My county isnt that big but has a fair amount transient population due to fruit and grape harvest.

In the Middle East, 61 people have died from the virus while in Africa the virus has claimed 40 lives. And this are the only the reported cases. Who knows what the numbers are in areas that not serviced by a medical clinic or if the country elects to report. In 1998 I was at a medical conference in saudi arabia, and the speaker stated that there was only 6 cases ever of aids infection in the kingdom.. 2 were saudi nationals that had surgery/ blood transfusion outside of country which later died and the others were foreign workers and were subsequently deported and now the country was aids free. Yet that week prior We had three in the emergency room. If the country chooses to not report it to WHO .. it goes silent

To say its just media hype, is wrong and its problem that will be significant. After all Hiv was only a *** disease. The flu of 1919 was a soldier's disease. Sorry... history is repeating itself.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Frank, people are just stating that the regular flu kills ~20,000 people in the USA every year... and even H1N1 hasn't come close to that yet. So, to say that its "media hype" may be a bit harsh, but it's not crazy yet.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Frank E Morel

Profile:

what i am saying it will be. the strains have mutated faster than other flu types.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
Zachary Sokoloski

Profile:

Why don't we just say *** instead of doing the 'three-asterisks-thing' (i.e., ***). I don't get it. It's not just this post...I've seen it in several others, but I can't help but feel marginally offended by it.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
Zachary Sokoloski

Profile:

Oh, we can't say '***' because there's an automatic filter that stars it out. What's that about??? Has anyone else noticed this?!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Frank, people are just stating that the regular flu kills ~20,000 people in the USA every year... and even H1N1 hasn't come close to that yet. So, to say that its "media hype" may be a bit harsh, but it's not crazy yet.
It's not winter yet...

after we see the casualties from this winter we can say if it's worse than a "regular" flu season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Sokoloski View Post
Oh, we can't say '***' because there's an automatic filter that stars it out. What's that about??? Has anyone else noticed this?!
Blame the people who made the threadson sexual orientation... which ultimately became a banned topic on the boards. I wouldn't bother arguing or making a fuss.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Not sure of what I have had. I thought I was distinctly ill from 2 different things. I was pretty much rid of my cough by yesterday until I did a modified tabata something else WOD that coupling metcon+cold air has started it back up. I know of course, I'm probably dehydrated too so it's worse.

I was feeling good last week I think until a hard gymnastics workout and went downhill fast and was slow to recover. There was a lot of popping VitD and fish oil ( I usually pop about 10k i.u. of VitD a day besides a few grams of fish oil EPA/DHA a day but I doubled or tripled that as I went through a bottle in no time).

I think it has been just a respiratory crap but it's hard to say since there are some known connections to people from the gym contacting confirmed swine flu afflicted. And of course, once it goes to the gym, boom.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #19
Mark Markley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
what i am saying it will be. the strains have mutated faster than other flu types.
Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard this, but admittedly I haven't been following the literature as closely as I used to.

Annually, about 36,000 (US) people die each year from REGULAR influenza. According to recent numbers I've found, H1N1 has killed about 500.

Is there potential for a more serious scenario? Sure, but we could be killed by a giant asteroid, too. IF the virus acquires characteristics more like the 1918-1919 pandemic, then there is justifiable concern (this pandemic killed somewhere between 60-100 million worldwide). SOME subgroups are at higher risk than others. Does H1N1 suck for those who catch it? Sure, but so does "normal" flu.

Fear sells. Pandemic is a scary word (I think it is because people (either consciously or subconsciously) associate it with "epidemic pandemonium"). Stay fit, eat well, and wash your hands.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #20
Jason Ashman

Profile:

When healthy (no pre-existing conditions) active people start to die in countries with proper sanitation, then I'll start to worry.

Until then, its just a more contagious flu.

BTW: The Spanish flu in 1918 was considered to be a soldier's disease because the soldiers brought in back with them from overseas when WWI was over. It had zero to do with people believing only soldiers could catch it, and its quick rate of infection during the first killer wave had more to do with sanitation standards of the time than it did with anything else.

What, you don't think it's not relevant that the area where the flu first hit hard- Mexico City- has sanitation standards that in some areas approach 1700s London slums, do you?? If I was breathing human excrement and other garbage all day, I'm sure my immune system would be shot to hell and unable to fight the flu too.