CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Garth Reed

Profile:
Swine Flu

So, has anyone had the swine flu yet? I have not been sick in a long time and this past week, my whole family got H1N1 at the same time. While I have been out for 4 days so far, I am thinking that I can only start getting back into WODs by Friday (today is Wednesday). I was planning on just taking it easy with some rowing intervals and heavy lifts with light intensity. Regardless, I just wanted to see if there were suggestions for getting back into the swing of things. Im guessing that the answer would be to go with what your body says.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Swine Flu

Bomb yourself with vitamin D. And tell your friends and family.

wfs
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ad.php?p=63112

Honestly, when coming back from an illness I would avoid all things intensity. While its the intensity that stimulates the adaptations... it also uses the immune system a lot to help repair the damage so if you have any lingering illness it could reaggravate it with a vengeance. Something very light would probably be good though.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Brenda Kennedy

Profile:

I haven't caught it, yet, but I have several friends that have had it. It's taken them at least 10 days to recover. Do you have the cough yet? That usually sets in the first time you start feeling better, 3-4 days after the initial fever and body aches.

I would listen to your body and remember that you're still contagious for a while after having H1N1. The virus tends to shed longer after recovery than other viruses, one of the reasons they believe that it's spreading as easily as it is.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Garth Reed

Profile:

I heard it takes a while to fully kick it. Some of the docs we have spoken with seem to think that it takes an additional 5-7 days after symptoms clear to when you are in the clear. I have had the cough pretty much since day 1. It's the most annoying part. The second worst part is the fact that you can feel ok one minute and like crap the next.

As far as taking it slow & the Vitamin D, I will for sure go that route. I don't want to get any of this back.

On a side note, I definately think that the gains you get from CrossFit help you fight this better. My lungs sound a lot stronger than my son and wife.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
it also uses the immune system a lot to help repair the damage
This is something I have often wondered about, since getting into GPP training, kettlebells, and eventually crossfit, I seemed to get sick a bit more often than I normally would. Does this type of training cause issues with the immune system?

I'm coming off of a nasty respiratory infection(got tested to confirm it wasn't H1N1). Its been over a week, and I am still coughing. I don't think I will consider training until the start of next week.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

Don't forget to use the magic "oinkment"
Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Lee View Post
Don't forget to use the magic "oinkment"
this is funny? a pandemic virus?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick View Post
This is something I have often wondered about, since getting into GPP training, kettlebells, and eventually crossfit, I seemed to get sick a bit more often than I normally would. Does this type of training cause issues with the immune system?

I'm coming off of a nasty respiratory infection(got tested to confirm it wasn't H1N1). Its been over a week, and I am still coughing. I don't think I will consider training until the start of next week.
It depresses your immune system, but after you recover you will have a stronger immune system.

However, if you never recover fully (too much volume or too poor recovery as in sleep/diet/etc.) then you are more susceptible to sickness.

The fact that you get sick more means that what you're doing is probably too much for your body.

--------------------------

I caught the flu... might've been H1n1.. don't really know.

I got my vitamin D a day after I sweated out a fever in the night. Took 5k IU vitamin D. Next morning I had just a slight cough. Took 20k vitamin D. Had the cough for another day or two and then it was gone completely.

Flu gone in basically 1 day from vitamin D supplementation. Was pretty awesome.

Plus, my workouts feel much better.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
Mark Markley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Pandemic just refers to the size of the region the virus is affecting. H1N1 is no more infectious or lethal than plain-old, garden variety influenza (which is no laughing matter for some). The H1N1 is yet another instance of the media making hay of a story which from a technical, public health perspective is important, but impacts vanishingly few.

Why don't we hear more about the millions killed every year by malaria, or complications from diabetes? Heck, joke away!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
She's quite serious. I tried some of her oinkment and it worked like a champ. Although I have been having the strangest urges to lay in the mud...