CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Anxiety - some help, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
you might consider working in something like yoga or tai chi. Both focus on breathing, balance, and correct movement, all of which have a calming effect for lots of people. Both are also at an "active recovery" level physically, which might make them a good choice for rest days.

Katherine

excellent advice! i have been getting into tai chi myself. this is true core work. the basic philosophy of moving with the flow of the universe is great for mental focus & balance.

'the art of happiness' is good stuff. the dalai lama is such a positive person. even in exile from his native land he maintains a positive outlook and harbors no ill feelings towards the chinesse.

but who i really recommend reading is Dr. Robert Thurman. He was the first american to become a tibetan buddhist monk in the 60's. he teaches religious study at Harvard. (side note: he is also Uma Thurmans father) He has a book called 'the inner revolution' that i shared with my lady, who is OCD & high strung, and it has had such a positive impact on her life. she even puts me in check now when i lose my compassion and start to get negative about people. (driving on california freeways is a true test of a man)

as for your family i can totally understand. but you should feel compassion for them since they feel those values are so important. my family is similar but you have to realize we are all at different levels of consciousness during our lifetimes. there were many times in my life i have been ignorant, but i don't believe i ever deserved to be treated with anything but compassion.

i due believe accepting your condition is an important first step. we look at the 'disorders' in a very negative light in western society. but there are always advantages and disadvantages to every condition. the blind man has a better sense of hearing and can enjoy a beautiful piece of music. for bipolar people they have bouts of depression, but also have the opposite swings were they are really creative. a person with ADD has a hard time sitting in a classroom, but can draw a picture that makes you cry. so try not to get caught up in the western stigmas of mental health. look at how fortunate you are to have your health and the health of your loved ones & family.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Thanks, for the replys, guys.

I did get into yoga for a while, back when i was a hippy, and it stood to reason that along with vegetarianism, basket-weaving, and living in a tipi on a commune that i get into yoga as well!

Have you seen the 'Rebuilding Aimee' clip on youtube from Catalyst Athletics?
I'm afraid that if i get back into it, you're all gonna see a 'Rebuilding Justin' clip along the same lines, with me forgetting all this crazy CF nonsense and weightlifting and training, to become, a la Aimee, a 'spiritual life coach'.....

I still know a lot of moves, so thankyou for jogging my memory

Maybe like the Nike Courage commercial states, 'Everything you need is already inside...'
Old 07-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #13
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

I think it would be helpful to try to pinpoint the source of your anxiety. I do not see it in your posts. What causes it? Is it just a general feeling or some specific things? What gets you started? Is it basically fear? Fear of what?

It seems to me that only when you have honestly identified the source(s) of the anxiety can you work on ways to combat it. Maybe I'm a bit too logical here but that's my POV. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #14
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Justin,

Disclaimer first. Although I am a doctor this is not my area of expertise. The following is neither medical advice nor is it meant to be used as medical treatment.

I am the father of a daughter who suffers from a severe anxiety/depression disorder. We almost lost her in July 2006. What you are describing sounds eerily similar. All of the advice you have received above is useful, but only AFTER you have been adequately treated for the base disease.

What you have, IMO and in my family experience, is a real a medical condition as diabetes or hypertension. The fact that it has no outward, visible manifestation does not make it any less an organic problem. It is quite likely that here ISN'T anything that triggers your anxiety, that the anxiety needs no external trigger. It comes from within. Your cannabis addiction is your effort at self-medication, and your conclusion that it is inadequate is correct.

What is necessary is a combination of "talk therapy" and medication, at least that is what saved my daughter's life and has allowed her to bloom, to flower, to grow into the very functional person she has become. One bad fit with a psychologist does not end the search. Keep looking. Don't stop. "Talk therapy" will not so much identify anything that triggers your anxiety as it will offer strategies to deal with it when it arrives. Is Crossfit or T'al chi a help? Sure. But structured, formal psychological help is mandatory. Continue the search.

There are wonderful medicines that are available to help with this problem. Taking one of them is not a failure or a sign of weakness. Resist and ignore the zealots who insist that only a "natural" remedy is OK, that there is somehow something wrong with taking medicine. In effect you've been taking medicine for 20 years, eh? Take the right medicine now. It may take a couple of trials, and none of the meds work right away. You may need a medical doctor, a psychiatrist, to prescribe them as well. Don't settle at this stage for a prescription from a family doctor; you are too far advanced.

Your family may never understand. It took my extended family years to understand that my daughter's problem was not simply that she wouldn't just get over it. She can't. It sounds like you are the same. Educate when able but ignore the rest when they pounce. Be selfish. Get help. Don't quit.

Feel free to PM me if you wish. Everything that the other posters have offered is valid and helpful AFTER you are adequately treated.

--bingo
Old 07-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #15
Rene Forestier

Profile:

If I recall correctly, you were a WAPF chapter leader. Have you read the Fourfold Path to Healing? I don't have it in front of me know, but I think there is a chapter on anxiety/depression (sometimes the two are a continuum).

Some close friends have found it useful and effective.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shipley View Post
What does a good psychologist look like?

The only one i've seen was so daunted by my physicality - the whole deferrment to the alpha male thing - like, he was 5'4" and lucky to be 130lb, with me 6'2", 210lb, covered in tattoos and literally taking up most of his tiny office - it was a frustrating waste of five sessions

Obviously there are psychologists and psychologists, just as their are trainers and trainers, and mechanics and mechanics.... any tips on who or what to look for or avoid?

Also the silence is deafening out there!

I had no idea you were all so well-adjusted and balanced all the time...

Speak up all of you with mental illness!

Demystify this subject!

Basically a bad psychologist is one whos goal is simply to get you feeling comfortable within the framework of society, a good psychologist is one who treats you as an individual.

Been perusing this site all morning, lots of interesting information here: http://www.mindfreedom.orgYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 07-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Again, many thanks for the replies

Ned, triggers i can identify are informal social situations, where i am expected to exchange banal pleasantries with people and feign interest, however social situations where i am in the driver's seat don't trouble me - for example, i have worked several occupations that have placed me in the public eye with no problems; professional musician; street busker; sales assistant; waiter; barista; and currently, personal trainer.
If i'm in control and confident in what i'm doing, good, otherwise, not good

Picking up my kids from school is an exercise in polite aloofness for me, when standing with the other parents i don't know well - god knows what their impression of me is as a result - and something i'll avoid if i can

I've just moved back to the town i grew up in from 16 - 21, and as such there are a lot of familiar faces everywhere i go, and a lot of the time this is a source of anxiety

When i awake at 4:45am each day to begin training a 6am, i get the jitters thinking about taking my clients through the days workout - what their individual stumbling blocks are; how to get through them this session; the format of the session, etc - but these evaporate once we start warming up

Parties, family functions, i tend to avoid, because i know that the people who know me are aware of my condition and are going to ask how i'm going lately, to which, in my typical blunt honest style, i will answer straight. And that just puts a damper on everyones day - so i'd rather opt out altogether

A big one is expectations of how i'll perform in unpredictable situations - the pre WOD anxiety many of us feel is with me x10 in nearly every situation i am forced to confront everyday, and as such, i tend to condense my daily activities into the bare necessities, avoiding the worst triggers if possible

So i guess its generalized anxiety, tipping into social phobia, resulting in my becoming a control-freak!

Darrell, glad to hear your advice, and i am happy to hear your daughter is travelling better.
Funny you should pipe up - i've been doing CFSB for 4 weeks now and going well...But your words ring true in a way that appeals to me. A doctors appointment for a referral to another psych will occur at first opportunity tomorrow

Rene, yes, i have a copy of the Fourfold Path to Healing, thankyou for jogging my memory, unshelving it now...

Kevin, checking that website...

Thanks again, all
Old 07-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
Ted Apollo

Profile:

go to a psychiatrist first. they will make the diagnosis and can rx medicine if you need it and refer you to a psychologist that you can see every week.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
go to a psychiatrist first. they will make the diagnosis and can rx medicine if you need it and refer you to a psychologist that you can see every week.
I don't want to sound all "alternative", but I think one has to look at everything else first (eg. diet and lifestyle) before jumping on the medication train.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
Justin Shipley

Profile:

All good advice

Having read the associated threads on ADD and anxiety at the bottom of the page, i can draw a couple of conclusions on the subject of trying to sort things out yourself first before seeking professional help, and on the subject of medication vs natural treatment.

This is me putting things into perspective for myself as much as anything else, so bear with me-
I have limited mechanical knowledge; if my vehicle is playing up, then in the name of saving time and money in the long term and getting back on the road ASAP, i'm better off going to my friend the mechanic, who deals with these issues day in,day out, and can diagnose, dismantle, repair and get me going again quicker than i can scratch my head and wonder what the problem might be. The analogy as applied to mental health is clear.

With medication vs other therapies, it seems that despite some very valid points from some very smart people whose opinions i respect greatly on this board, those same people a. don't suffer the condition, and b. haven't taken the medications they warn against. This is not pointing the finger, just an observation.

The opinions that carry more weight for me are from those who have, or have had, similar conditions, and have dealt with them, and who have tried one or more of the meds in conjunction with one or more of the therapies

In much the same way as natural athletes make poor coaches, and mediocre athletes who have struggled one step at a time and made evry mistake in the book on their journey from a place of mediocrity to a place of competency, are better able to take others who are struggling on a more direct path to competency, those of us who 'have their ***** together' are less well placed to dispense meaningful advice than those who have made the hard journey

In no way am i belittling the advice or intentions of anyone who has contributed thus far, just observing a pattern