CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: One month in, but only one pound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"The mirror shows you the best progress, not the scale."

Steven,

SHouldn't it be bar, not scale?
Maybe.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #22
Billy Bobbitt

Profile:

Have you taken your measurements and used the Zone calculator? It approximates how much body fat you have. After a month you check it again. You might have loss 1lb on the scale but you could have lost 5-10lbs of fat. It defiently provides encouragement when you see your bodyfat/measurments decreasing.

Granted the calculator is 100% accuarte but it gets you close.

http://www.zonediet.com/BodyFatZoneB...9/Default.aspx wfs
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
Daniel Krull

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
The mirror shows you the best progress, not the scale.
True to that. I gained the weight I lost in muscle. I see I'm improving in the mirror and in my workouts but the scale says different. Smash that scale! (SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH)
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bobbitt View Post
Have you taken your measurements and used the Zone calculator? It approximates how much body fat you have. After a month you check it again. You might have loss 1lb on the scale but you could have lost 5-10lbs of fat. It defiently provides encouragement when you see your bodyfat/measurments decreasing.

Granted the calculator is 100% accuarte but it gets you close.

http://www.zonediet.com/BodyFatZoneB...9/Default.aspx wfs
Thanks for the info. I'm checking it out now.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #25
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Well if you really want to win the "weight loss" competition at work you could always cut weight like a fighter before you weigh in! Just a thought....
i'd say that this is terrible advice, as "cutting like a fighter" is probably the complete opposite of healthy.

OP, stick to what you're doing. the number on the scale doesn't matter!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #26
Jae Chung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sohn View Post
What specifically is your diet like right now?
ding ding ding ding

OP, first of all, glad to hear that you've been CFing for a month. CF is hard. You're on the right track. Keep it up!

Second, you mention that you've cut out a lot of "bad foods" and are eating smaller portions and drinking more water. Again, you're on the right track.

If you are 5'6" and 212 lbs., and you have lost one pound in 4 weeks of CF, chances are:

1. You are not eating right, OR
2. You are not hitting your WODs with enough intensity, OR
3. You are not getting enough sleep, OR
4. Some combination of the above.

1. What are you eating exactly? Are you eating any grain-based carbs? Try eating STRICT Paleo for the next four weeks. No grains, no beans, no dairy, no sugars. Eat meat (preferably lean), fish, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Take fish oil supplements.

2. What do your workouts look like? Are you scaling them? You should be. If it's taking you 30 minutes to do Angie, or 15 minutes to do Fran, etc., cut back on the weight and reps.

If you've been doing CF for only a month, I hesitate to tell you to hit the WODs with a ton of intensity. Since you're posting here, I'm guessing you don't work out at an affiliate? I don't know what your form looks like, how good your movements are on the barbell lifts, etc.

If your form is good, go ahead and ramp up the intensity if you haven't already. If you've been working out on your own, chances are, your form isn't good, or it isn't as good as you think it is. Get to an affiliate if you can afford it and it will probably increase your gains.

3. How much sleep are you getting? According to Robb Wolf, a few days of sleep deprivation can increase your insulin resistance to nearly Type II diabetes levels. That's no good and will hinder your fat loss, a lot.

That said, your first post says that you are fitting better into your clothes, etc. So it's possible you're gaining a lot of muscle and that your overall bodyweight isn't shifting a lot.

But, I suspect that at least one of the above factors can be tweaked or revamped. It's also unlikely that you are close to your ideal bodyweight for your height.

I don't know exactly what your diet is, what your workouts are like, or what your sleep schedule is, so I apologize if what I'm saying is old news.

Last edited by Jae Chung : 05-01-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: rationale for sleeping
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Chung View Post
ding ding ding ding

OP, first of all, glad to hear that you've been CFing for a month. CF is hard. You're on the right track. Keep it up!

Second, you mention that you've cut out a lot of "bad foods" and are eating smaller portions and drinking more water. Again, you're on the right track.

If you are 5'6" and 212 lbs., and you have lost one pound in 4 weeks of CF, chances are:

1. You are not eating right, OR
2. You are not hitting your WODs with enough intensity, OR
3. You are not getting enough sleep, OR
4. Some combination of the above.

1. What are you eating exactly? Are you eating any grain-based carbs? Try eating STRICT Paleo for the next four weeks. No grains, no beans, no dairy, no sugars. Eat meat (preferably lean), fish, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Take fish oil supplements.

2. What do your workouts look like? Are you scaling them? You should be. If it's taking you 30 minutes to do Angie, or 15 minutes to do Fran, etc., cut back on the weight and reps.

If you've been doing CF for only a month, I hesitate to tell you to hit the WODs with a ton of intensity. Since you're posting here, I'm guessing you don't work out at an affiliate? I don't know what your form looks like, how good your movements are on the barbell lifts, etc.

If your form is good, go ahead and ramp up the intensity if you haven't already. If you've been working out on your own, chances are, your form isn't good, or it isn't as good as you think it is. Get to an affiliate if you can afford it and it will probably increase your gains.

3. How much sleep are you getting? According to Robb Wolf, a few days of sleep deprivation can increase your insulin resistance to nearly Type II diabetes levels. That's no good and will hinder your fat loss, a lot.

That said, your first post says that you are fitting better into your clothes, etc. So it's possible you're gaining a lot of muscle and that your overall bodyweight isn't shifting a lot.

But, I suspect that at least one of the above factors can be tweaked or revamped. It's also unlikely that you are close to your ideal bodyweight for your height.

I don't know exactly what your diet is, what your workouts are like, or what your sleep schedule is, so I apologize if what I'm saying is old news.
Food:
2 eggs and 2 slices of whole grain toast in the mornings.
Grilled chicken in the mid morning or around lunch
Some sort of red meat in the late afternoon or dinner
Sometimes I'll end up with a hamburger or grilled chicken sandwich in the evenings. I try to keep it under 400 calories though.

Drinks:
Some caffeine during the day with a diet pepsi or diet coke or two, and once in a while a Monster energy drink if I'm dragging *** in the mornings (my equalizer to coffee). Other than that it's all water.

Workouts:
I'm just now getting to the point where I can do the full WOD without scaling down with BrandX.

Sleep:
This has been a big problem of mine for years. I get on average about 4-6 hours of sleep a night. On a good night I'll sleep for 7 hours. The only time I really get to sleep in is on Sundays, so whatever sleep deficit I have waits until then usually.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #28
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i'd say that this is terrible advice, as "cutting like a fighter" is probably the complete opposite of healthy.

OP, stick to what you're doing. the number on the scale doesn't matter!
Well if he wants to win! I'm not saying it's a good weight loss method, but he was complaining about wanting to win a weight loss competition at work. I just pointed out the obvious and easiest way to win it. Not advocating it for long term health or anything.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #29
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Joe-

You haven't mentioned eating Zone or Paleo so I'm going to assume you aren't. Read up on them on the Nutrition board and you'll see why they're the way to go, not just for weight loss but for performance gains as well.

If you're trying to lose weight, bread and sugar are your enemies. Cut out the toast and sandwich breads and get your carbs from fruits and vegetables. Monsters are Type II diabetes in a can--read up on hyperinsulinism to see how excess sugar and other carbs keep you from losing weight. Diet sodas don't pack the sugar calories but can produce the same insulin response as normal sodas. Eat less carbs and more good fat in the form of nuts, seeds, and olive oil.

Lack of sleep leads to higher stress and cortisol levels, which makes it next to impossible to burn fat.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #30
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

I'd much rather do it right. If there was a fast way to cut down to 10% body fat while maintaining my strength then of course I'd love to hear about it, but honestly I think what I'm doing will accomplish that over the long haul. I just need to clean up my eating habits a little bit, get proper rest, and see how that goes. I feel like I've got the essentials in place, but I need to do some fine tuning/course corrections in order to stay on target.