CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:
One month in, but only one pound?

So Iíve just completed my first month of Crossfit. Yay me! Iím toning up like a mofo, dropping visible body fat, but it seems my muscling up is completely offsetting any fat loss therefor Iím still way heavier than I should be. Anyway, in one month Iíve only lost about 1lb of overall weight. The good news is Iím seeing a difference, clothes fit better etc. While thatís well and good, based on what youíve all experienced when should I expect the muscle building to plateau and the fat loss to overtake it thereby dropping my overall weight?

Iím 5í6Ē and weigh 212 right now and would have really liked to get under 200lbs by summer which is starting to look like itís not a possibility. Iíve really cut back on eating bad foods, drinking more water, and having smaller portions more frequently and I donít know what else I can do. I really donít think thereís much room for improvement on the dietary front, so aside from the minor tweaks I could do there what else am I do to? Wait it out until the toning tapers off? Increasing my workload isnít much of an option either as I barely have time for all the WODs as it is. The only really lingering aspect is my sleep schedule. I already know I donít get enough rest, so is it possible this is the one thing thatís hamstringing my progress?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Allen Reid

Profile:
Re: One month in, but only one pound?

Why are you worried about a fixed weight number when you already stated you are seeing tremendous improvements?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

Part being impatient and part being in a few weight loss challenges. The one at work is biggest loser style, so the person that loses the most weight by percentage wins. I just noticed today I fell to last place. Granted I'm probably in the best shape out of all the contestants, but for bragging rights at the office it'd be nice if the fittest person actually won, you know?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

How many days a week do you work out?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Robby Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeAngelo View Post
Granted I'm probably in the best shape out of all the contestants
This is what I would be bragging about.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Joe DeAngelo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
How many days a week do you work out?
I'm following the WODs and only take a day off when it calls for it. There was an exception where I had to push a Sunday workout to Monday, but luckily Monday was a rest day so I was back in sync from Tuesday onward.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe DeAngelo View Post
Part being impatient and part being in a few weight loss challenges. The one at work is biggest loser style, so the person that loses the most weight by percentage wins. I just noticed today I fell to last place. Granted I'm probably in the best shape out of all the contestants, but for bragging rights at the office it'd be nice if the fittest person actually won, you know?
This is why I think the biggest loser is retarded.. I once watched the show and people were almost crying they ONLY lost 1 pound of fat a week.. A pound is a good amount of fat!! Then people are losing like 15 pounds in one week which is totally unhealthy.. They don't even account for muscle gain. There's no bragging rights involved with becoming skinny and weak!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
Scott Moore.

Profile:

A trainer who used to work with my Mother told me that you shouldn't get too caught up in weight. As you said, you've been seeing the improvements and that you've been toning up. If you're looking better, feeling better, doing better then you must be better.

Sure you may lose the competition as far as pounds are concerned...but wait and see if anyone gains that weight back. Anyone can diet hardcore for a short period of time drop a ton of weight. But the question is, can they make the change to their lifestyle so they don't gain that weight back? Most can't...

As John Park said, "there's no bragging rights with becoming skinny and weak"
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 04-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

The mirror shows you the best progress, not the scale.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #10
Evan Keller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S Park View Post
This is why I think the biggest loser is retarded.. I once watched the show and people were almost crying they ONLY lost 1 pound of fat a week.. A pound is a good amount of fat!! Then people are losing like 15 pounds in one week which is totally unhealthy.. They don't even account for muscle gain. There's no bragging rights involved with becoming skinny and weak!
Exactly! There is not point in losing a great quantity of "weight" if you're not gaining strength at the same time. If you are not gaining muscle then there is not much use in it...