CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Jay Cohen

Profile:
The BBQ Thread

With summer around the corner, least here in the North East, I figured a BBQ thread would have merit as BBQ recipes were starting to “intrude” into the Bacon thread.

I’m not a BBQ expert by any shape of the imagination, but it has become one of my new favorite foods, or one of my favorite ways to prepare foods. I just ordered the Cookshack Amerique, which should be here in a few days.

Here is a the Wiki definition of BBQ:

Barbecue or barbeque (with abbreviations BBQ, Bar-B-Q and Bar-B-Que, diminutive form barbie, used chiefly in Australia & New Zealand, and called Braai in South Africa) is a method and apparatus for cooking food, often meat, with the heat and hot gases of a fire, smoking wood, or hot coals of charcoal and may include application of a marinade, spice rub, or basting sauce to the meat. The term as a noun can refer to the cooking apparatus itself, or to a party that includes such food. The term as an adjective can refer to foods cooked by this method. The term is also used as a verb for the act of cooking food in this manner. Barbecue is usually cooked in an outdoor environment heated by the smoke of wood or charcoal. Restaurant barbecue may be cooked in large brick or metal ovens specially designed for that purpose

So, please feel free to post any and all comments, recipes, and equipment concerning BBQ.

Here are a few links that I go to on a regular basis. Be warned, most have advertisements, and do take some navigation, but come on, it’s BBQ and we’re talking about kicking back, cooking long and slow, having some fun.

All links are W/F/S/

Garry’s BBQ Pit is a great place to start, many links to the classic BBQ sites.
http://bbq.netrelief.com/barbecue_links.shtml

BBQ with Mainely Dave. Dave has a Cookshack Smoker, so his recipes will be tailored to that smoker, but it’s packed with recipes and pic’s.
http://www.lamaine.com/bbq/index.html

The Cookshack Forum. Their forum is packed with not only Cookshack cooking tips, but with BBQ in general, this site is very much worth your time.
http://forum.cookshack.com/groupee

Do the Q
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:
Re: The BBQ Thread

Haven't fired up my smoker yet, but am anxious to do so. I have 30 lbs of venison/pork mixed ready to make homemade sausage and a whole wild hog in the freezer.

Here's a picture of my rig.

WFS My smoker
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Chris Lampe

Profile:

Jay,

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the Amerique. I've got the smallest smoker that Cookshack makes and have been quite happy with it. Plus, they are manufactured right in my little hometown of Ponca City, OK!!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
Haven't fired up my smoker yet, but am anxious to do so. I have 30 lbs of venison/pork mixed ready to make homemade sausage and a whole wild hog in the freezer.

Here's a picture of my rig.

WFS My smoker

Jeff, that is one big friggin honkin machine. You go dude.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lampe View Post
Jay,

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the Amerique. I've got the smallest smoker that Cookshack makes and have been quite happy with it. Plus, they are manufactured right in my little hometown of Ponca City, OK!!
Chris, per one of your posts last year, you pointed me in that direction. Many thanks, and I'll keep ya in the loop. Machine should be here next week, plan to smoke a ton to get ready for Meat Fest 2009. Welcome your tips and advice, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Ha, thanks Jay!

The most action it's seen was actually grilling, not smoking. Fed a little over 1/2 of the Oklahoma State football team once for an FCA event, including all of both lines. Approximately 300 hot dogs, 150 hamburgers and various sausages, in about 30 minutes.

Smoking, I can do two full briskets, a slab (maybe two) of ribs, 5 lb bologna and a handful of chicken breasts on one side of the rig.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Ken Edwards

Profile:

Jay, perfect timing with the thread.

With the snow now gone here in Ottawa, I decided that I really wanted a rotisserie for my 22.5 inch Weber charcoal grill. I bought a $40 rotisserie attachment at Home Depot and thought about drilling some holes in my Weber to mount it, as the rotisseries are meant for BBQs that are designed to hold them.

After thinking about it for a day I decided to build a riser of sorts, so it was back to Home Depot to buy some sheet metal and some clippers.

A drill, some nuts and bolts, some wood chips, a small fire, and a couple hours later there was some tasty bird on my plate.

Pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kejaed/W...sserieAddition (WFS)

Post contruction, I Googled a bit and found an attachment at Amazon (WFS) that is made specifically for my grill, but at $150 USD ($187 CAD), I'll take my $60 CAD version thanks very much. I've got some black heat-proof spray paint that's going to go on soon, but I couldn't wait for that once I had built it.

Ribs are going on the grill tonight!

Long live the BBQ.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Ken;

That is some sweet looking modification. Very nice.

I'm stopping by Sam's Club this weekend, but up 4-6 butts, maybe a rack or two.
Trucking company might have machine late tonight, so I'll get it tommorrow, if not Monday for sure.

I'm drooling on your ribs for tonight. Keep us posted, feel free to post some pics and how recipe used.

I plan to keep a note book as I've read that helps with consistent good results.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
Ha, thanks Jay!

The most action it's seen was actually grilling, not smoking. Fed a little over 1/2 of the Oklahoma State football team once for an FCA event, including all of both lines. Approximately 300 hot dogs, 150 hamburgers and various sausages, in about 30 minutes.

Smoking, I can do two full briskets, a slab (maybe two) of ribs, 5 lb bologna and a handful of chicken breasts on one side of the rig.
You give new meaning to the term, Go Big or Go Home............
Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Scott Dyck

Profile:

One of my friends in Kansas has an all-you-can-eat barbecue buffet that he runs out of an old elementary school house that be bought for next to nothing in a silent auction.
I used to help him sometimes, and he could do I think 700# of brisket in one smoker and a few hundred pounds of ribs in the other at one time. Then we'd switch out and do chicken and pork chops. Lots of turkeys around thanksgiving, and he'd do deer and elk for guys sometimes.
The smokers are a really cool design that I think he came up with, with hanging racks that hold the meat. You push a button on the outside that rotates and advances the racks so you can load and unload all the meat in a hurry. We used to pull it all out at the same time and throw it in big Coleman coolers to keep it hot until we cut it.
The smokers cook with propane heat, and just have a chamber you fill with hickory that makes and injects the smoke into the rest of the machine. That way he can smoke meat all year long with only about a cord of wood. It also has a grease catcher with a spigot, so you can put a bucket underneath and catch it all and use it for whatever you want or throw it out. I'll see if he will send me a picture. He may or may not, he can be a secretive dude and I can't remember if he holds the patent on the design or not.
Anyway, saw the word "barbecue" and started drooling so I thought I'd yak about it a little.
Man, I miss barbecue out here in PA!
Somebody from KC needs to post here.