CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #111
Charles Whitworth

Profile:
Re: Feel like I'm restarting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Well I was able to do all 25 pull-ups at once. But yes I had to partition the push-ups and squats.
I did 15 push-ups, 20 squats, 10 push-ups, 15 squats, 10 push-ups, 10 squats, 5 push-ups, 15 squats, 5 push-ups, 15 squats, 5 push-ups.
I found myself on my knees before the push-ups at the end trying to summon the intestinal fortitude to get up and do them. So yeah I didn't go lightening speed, but believe me I was pushing it. And it took me 6 minutes to do the final 1/2 mile.
It was tough.
Jason,

I see that the thread has been derailed some but I wanted to get back to the point. I understand exactly how you feel and my timeline seemed to coincide with yours because I had a week off and was faced with making up Murph. I am hypothyroid, so my gains won vs gains lost story is my challenge when forced to take breaks due to a crazy *** job schedule. My main concern was jumping back into WOD's full force and getting Rhabdo, after only a week off, it was a concern. Reason being is if I have greater than a 3-4 day off period, I get very bad DOMS. It makes me nervous simply because my recovery ability takes a long time to build up and only a very short time to lose.

Crossfit is something I have to stick with on a regular basis. I will say though that getting that initial soreness out of the way after a layoff is important because after that and I feel like all out wods are gtg. In my case its also my inability to recover as fast due to low metabolism. There is no way in hell I'd ever jump straight back in a full WOD after a layoff in my particular case if a puppy version puts me in that much pain. In your case, you may be able to do it but as a couple others have said, getting active again is more important then how hard you jump into it and I would say from my perspective a much safer philosophy.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 AM   #112
Alex Europa

Profile:

Maybe I'm a cavalier elitist, but I really think that the Rhabo thing gets thrown out of proportion. Yes it's dangerous and all but once you've been innoculated, you're pretty much in the clear-unless you take a very extended break.

- Alex
Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #113
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well I wasn't really worried about rhapado or however you spell it. I was just disappointed in my overall performance.