CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #61
Zach Gates

Profile:
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Thanks, Gaines!

My body just needs some time to recoup, I think. I don't plan on doing this long haul because, well, I'm just plain addicted to the nosebleeds and feeling a bar bending. That said, I don't think there's a better protocol that I've seen so far for someone whose joints are aching and who thinks he's left himself all off balance from doing too much of some things and not enough others.

I mean, let's face it: my back and shoulders are just SAD. On a seated shoulder press I might be able to get 205 for a few reps, and that's not lowered to my collarbone. Push presses I've never gone over 195. Strict dead-hang pullups I can get about 10-12 before I die and part of it is I've just been slacking like mad on those muscles. CF has a great attitude of "this is what you need to be doing, GET ON IT."

So I figure for a little while I'll do this, I may or may not shift to CFSB in a week or two, and then come May I'll go back to a PL routine with 2-3x weekly jogging.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #62
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Zach
Having your powerlifting background and strength levels gives you a huge leg up on CF workouts. That alone would have you crushing most of the CF community at many of the WODs in the near future if not on day 1.

Are you continuing with your regular powerlifting programming? If you're feeling like the prescribed CF workouts aren't enough for you, then continue to do your familiar powerlifting programming (scaled down, if necessary). If you're already still doing your powerlifting ON TOP of the CF WODs and still don't think that's enough, I wouldn't recommend extending your workouts no matter how you feel.

If your goal is weight loss, I know some people have had success even when limiting their metabolic conditioning workouts to less than 15 minutes. Basically, just don't forget that it's more about the intensity than it is about the length of the workout. And as you probably already know, much of your weight loss will be coming from altering your diet as well.

If you're still itching to do something with your huge amounts of spare time, I'd suggest working on skills (e.g., practice handstand push ups if you don't have them already), do some yoga/flexibility stuff, do some sprints. As you noticed, CF exposes your weaknesses. In the long term, you're better off drilling those weak points than doing an additional workout.

Still got leftover energy? Take martial arts, learn some gymnastics or enroll in a dance class.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #63
Zach Gates

Profile:

Well I'm playing it by ear. Right now I'm structuring things like this:

1) the various warmup routines

2) Some exercise up to a smooth 1RM (no grinding out absolute maxes)

3) WOD

4) Two muscles worked with 3-4 sets of 15 isolation work

I have alternate ideas, of course. One is to do scaled-down PL workouts three days a week (one day for each major lift) and then three CF workouts in between (with Sunday off), or the same thing only without taking Sunday off. But for at LEAST the next week or so I'll be better off not doing the heavyheavy lifting at all.

As for having an "advantage", oh sure doing things like bodyweight bench or deadlift rep-outs with 225 won't be a problem, but my hilarious lack of endurance is a great equalizer 'round these parts. :P

Last edited by Zach Gates : 03-24-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #64
Alex Europa

Profile:

You might find more luck rotating between 1, 3, and 5 RMs. I'm still not sure I'm down with the isolation exercises; CrossFit does a good job of balancing things out, it just takes time.

As for your alternate ideas, I personally don't think there's enough rest built into either one, especially if you're hitting every day hard. For another proven method, look into MEBB - Max Effort Black Box - by Michael Rutherford. Info can be found over at the Performance Menu (W/F/S).

- Alex
Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 AM   #65
Wade Smith

Profile:

Seems like OP has joined up to lose weight. He already has knowledge and experience on powerlifts and is looking to utilize CF to meet some short term goals.

Rather than chastise him, let's applaud and welcome him.

My guess is that if he gives 100% to the posted WODs a few days in a row, he'll come back and report differently. Deadlifting 520 is awesome. I am personally in awe. Hit up some of the "girls" in elite time too... now that would be doubly awesome if he can do both.

Welcome to CF.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #66
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
Well right now I'm liking the CF Frederiction idea, which appears to be a six-day schedule with strength training before the WOD. Seems right up my alley for the time being. Plus it lets me incorporated my favorite workout, bench press!
Just an FYI...

CF Fredericton switches up their workset reps between 5,3,1. Mostly they switch when people get stuck at a weight for a few weeks. Also, not everyone at their gym works 6 days a week. So I would be careful to hit it hard 6x per week like what is posted on their site. Maybe do the 3on 1off or something similar to be sure you are getting enough rest.

Oh and your Murph time is great considering your size and its your first taste.

Last edited by Eric Gagnon : 03-25-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #67
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gagnon View Post
Just an FYI...

CF Fredericton switches up their workset reps between 5,3,1. Mostly they switch when people get stuck at a weight for a few weeks. Also, not everyone at their gym works 6 days a week. So I would be careful to hit it hard 6x per week like what is posted on their site. Maybe do the 3on 1off or something similar to be sure you are getting enough rest.

Oh and your Murph time is great considering your size and its your first taste.
I'm making sure none of the work sets are actually "maximal", that way I'm not burning out my CNS or wrecking my joints. I'm sure as hell not gonna be pushing 5 plates on pulls during this cycle or squatting over 400.

And thanks, I'm SERIOUSLY not looking forward to another Murph. :P