CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
Mark Martinez

Profile:
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Zach,

Why not just do both? You can do PL before or if you're still up for it after the WOD?

Last edited by Mark Martinez : 03-20-2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: edit cuz' I'm brain dead
Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #22
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Frankel View Post
People jumped on you a little, it happens, but don't get the wrong idea about people here on the boards. Everyones really helpful, you just have to understand where they are coming from.
LOL, it's no problem at all. Far as flaming goes that was downright civil.

All right, gonna stretch out and Murph it up. Got a bad feeling though, my abs are sore as all get out from yesterday.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #23
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Frankel View Post
Hey Zach, the thing about CrossFit is that the workouts...are easy. They are easy if you run that first Murph mile in 15 minutes when you can get it in 8, and do the sets of pullups, pushups and squats in 2 hours while talking to pepople inbetween your reps. The reason that CrossFit works and is hard is because everyone is intense. Your workouts will only be as good as you make them. We go 100% effort, 100% of the time unless perscribed otherwise. It is the same concept with any exercise, that your workout is only going to be as effective as you make it and we make damn sure that by then end we are laying on the floor gasping but love it.
People jumped on you a little, it happens, but don't get the wrong idea about people here on the boards. Everyones really helpful, you just have to understand where they are coming from.
hrm...yes, the intensity is what makes crossfit painfully amazing...but i don't know that i'd call a workout with 100 pullups, 200 pushups and 300 squats + a 2 mile run easy...even if you DO go at a snail's pace...
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
Didn't mean to say the WOD's aren't hard, far from it! It's not that they're "easy", it's that I don't see some of them as constituting a full workout. Look at 090313: Back squats 3-3-3-3-3. Oh I'm sure if I load 385 up and do that the five sets are gonna be far from fun, but I've done that before just for the first exercise, yanno?
The thing about days like that is they let you recover from other, more "full" workouts. For example, after Filthy Fifty and Angie (what a DOMS inducing pair! ), 5x3 back squat (plus a warmup of course) is a nice way to let most of my body recover while still doing something productive that day.

Take people's 's in good humor...you'll probably appreciate/understand it after a workout leaves you gasping for air and miserably sore for days. Save judgment for after a few weeks' worth of WODs.

Understand that CF programming is geared towards GPP, General physical preparedness. The 'ideal' CF athlete is a jack-of-all-trades, soldier/LEO type, who can move heavy stuff, but can also move himself. He isn't a Lance Armstrong, he isn't a record setting powerlifter, but he could beat either in most general tests of fitness. If that isn't in line with your goals, don't do the program! But within the CF community there are many variations on programming, including CF Strength Bias, which you'll find stickied in the Fitness forum. Many follow Rip's Starting Strength, or some variation on it.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #25
Zach Gates

Profile:

Okay, so.

Finished the "Murph", using the 10/20/30 protocol. Lacking a stopwatch I started running with my cell phone at 11:18 and finished at 12:04. So.. .46 minutes-ish?

Hilarious side-note. I was at just under the half-hour mark and had done seven circuits of pullups/pushups/squats when three calluses on my right hand tore right the ***** open in the middle of the pullups. Not "off", but way open. Picture attacked for what THAT looks like.

As predicted, the pullups were what killed me. Sets 7-9 were a little shady, set 10 wasn't pretty and required a split-up of five and five. The pushups made me a little sick but weren't too hard, the squats burned like CRAZY but were totally doable.

So... yeah. Touche, Crossfit people. That was a rough workout. Might just follow what's listed with some slight modifications on the shorter days, only a few days behind (I'll considered today "Murph day" and move forward sequentially from here).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ouch.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	3658  

Last edited by Zach Gates : 03-20-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #26
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Good job, man. to the greener side of the fence. Now start your workout log.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
Brian Bedell

Profile:

If your goal is pure strength, this is not the place. Simple. Read "what is fitness," if that is your goal, then you are in the right place. And don't bother posting your murph "not counting pullups." That's not the workout.

And if 5x3 BS does not sound like a workout, honestly, you're not doing it right.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #28
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
If your goal is pure strength, this is not the place. Simple. Read "what is fitness," if that is your goal, then you are in the right place. And don't bother posting your murph "not counting pullups." That's not the workout.

And if 5x3 BS does not sound like a workout, honestly, you're not doing it right.
Easy cap'n. Work on your reading comprehension. I was basically joking that I'd have to do the Murph and then put up two times: the full time and then my time without the pullups so as to illustrate how bad I blow at pullups. Stick with me here, it ain't that serious.

Also: try reading the full thing before you go making snarky comments.

And don't go lecturing me on 5x3, my man. Ever done a Sheiko or a Smolov PL cycle? Now THAT is a ballbuster low rep program.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
So... yeah. Touche, CrossFit people. That was a rough workout. Might just follow what's listed with some slight modifications on the shorter days, only a few days behind (I'll considered today "Murph day" and move forward sequentially from here).
Before you start adding stuff, see how you feel tomorrow, too. The high-rep CF workouts can be gifts that keep on giving for a few days. As someone else pointed out, the "easy" days help build a little extra rest into the schedule.

Katherine
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #30
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Hey, Be nice, it's in the AUP.

Brian has a point. Besides, the man has a CFT of 1020lbs at the age of 40 - he knows what he is doing.