CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: New to CF, experienced lifter, looking for a more advanced program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
So I know my way around a weight room, and my endurance is pretty good. the WOD looks like a fun periodic test of my conditioning (that mile -> pullups -> pushups -> squats -> mile one for example)
So... What was your time on that one again?

You didn't say what your goals are. Without that information, it's hard to make suggestions.

Katherine
Old 03-20-2009, 03:14 AM   #12
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Wow, I wouldn't expect these types of responses usually. Hope this isn't where the board is going.
Different posts, different responses. Most come in here a little "scared" or ready-to-go and asking questions (usually already in the FAQ) and someone always answers either in brief or in detail but with little amusement at the OPs post. This one was different. I am amused. I want to know what type of athlete the person is who thinks Murph looks like a "fun periodic test of conditioning." If it is just fun for him, then he is amazing and should probably just keep doing whatever he is doing.

Last edited by Amber Mathwig : 03-20-2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: I'm still going with "needs more bacon"
Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
Tony Arms

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
Different posts, different responses. Most come in here a little "scared" or ready-to-go and asking questions (usually already in the FAQ) and someone always answers either in brief or in detail but with little amusement at the OPs post. This one was different. I am amused. I want to know what type of athlete the person is who thinks Murph looks like a "fun periodic test of conditioning." If it is just fun for him, then he is amazing and should probably just keep doing whatever he is doing.
I agree with your assesment. I just started two days ago with the split jerk WOD and thought I was tough guy so i did extra sets in after that. Woke up today sore and wasn't able to really attempt today's WOD. (I do them a day behind due to early morning workouts) I'm going to jump in both feet next week and use them as prescribed.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
The only part of the Murph that would kill me would be the pullups (I can get maybe 20 at a clip, but only for two sets, after that it's two). I'd have a hilariously pathetic time because it takes me 20 minutes to get 100 pullups.

This was a workout I used to do for conditioning:

I had a circuit on a football field. Starting at one corner, I do 20 pushups. Then a sprint to the next corner and ten burpees. Sprint to the next corner and 15 lunge jumps. Sprint to the next corner and 20 crunches, sprint to the first corner. So my conditioning workout would be run a mile, do four of those things up above, and then finish with another mile, then afterwards see what my 100m dash time is.

Didn't mean to say the WOD's aren't hard, far from it! It's not that they're "easy", it's that I don't see some of them as constituting a full workout. Look at 090313: Back squats 3-3-3-3-3. Oh I'm sure if I load 385 up and do that the five sets are gonna be far from fun, but I've done that before just for the first exercise, yanno?

Although just for the heck of it, later today I'll put up my Murph time, which I'll split into "counting the pullups" and "not counting the pullups". :P
Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

How about, just for the heck of it, you follow Coach Glassman's programming for a few weeks and let us know what you think then? Heck, start a log in the Workout Logs forum and I swear I'll drop by everyday to see how you are doing (except for my flying days, got a few of those coming up). 6 weeks. Give it a shot. If you clean up your diet at the same time, you'll likely see the weight loss results you want.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Renee Lee

Profile:

remember you can partition the exercises in the middle of murph. so you can do (10/20/30) x 10 to minimize burning out on the pullups. also, "average" first time murph is right around an hour.

as for whether the WOD is enough, even on the 3-3-3-3-3 back squat days, there are a ton of threads on that topic, and even answered in the main page FAQ.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
How about, just for the heck of it, you follow Coach Glassman's programming for a few weeks and let us know what you think then? Heck, start a log in the Workout Logs forum and I swear I'll drop by everyday to see how you are doing (except for my flying days, got a few of those coming up). 6 weeks. Give it a shot. If you clean up your diet at the same time, you'll likely see the weight loss results you want.
...I'm tempted. I'm just wary that I'll lose too much strength, y'know? Call it a PL'ers curse. That's why I haven't tried dieting in over a year, I lower my calories and my strength dips, I get annoyed and start eating like mad again.

Again, I -swear- this post was not meant to say the workouts are easy. Not at all. They look VERY challenging. I just meant that many of them seem awfully brief, whereas I'm used to going for 90 minutes or so.

Renee Lee, I'll have my murph time up in a little while. I need to decide if I feel like doing things earlier in the day (as in in about 45 minutes) or if I'm going to wait until this afternoon. An hour you say? Hm...
Old 03-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
Mat Frankel

Profile:

Hey Zach, the thing about crossfit is that the workouts...are easy. They are easy if you run that first Murph mile in 15 minutes when you can get it in 8, and do the sets of pullups, pushups and squats in 2 hours while talking to pepople inbetween your reps. The reason that crossfit works and is hard is because everyone is intense. Your workouts will only be as good as you make them. We go 100% effort, 100% of the time unless perscribed otherwise. It is the same concept with any exercise, that your workout is only going to be as effective as you make it and we make damn sure that by then end we are laying on the floor gasping but love it.
People jumped on you a little, it happens, but don't get the wrong idea about people here on the boards. Everyones really helpful, you just have to understand where they are coming from.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
...I'm tempted. I'm just wary that I'll lose too much strength, y'know? Call it a PL'ers curse. That's why I haven't tried dieting in over a year, I lower my calories and my strength dips, I get annoyed and start eating like mad again.
Eat whatever you want, just stay away from processed foods.

Quote:
Again, I -swear- this post was not meant to say the workouts are easy. Not at all. They look VERY challenging. I just meant that many of them seem awfully brief, whereas I'm used to going for 90 minutes or so.
Ok, if you do Murph today (one of the longest WOD's) how about you do Fran on Sunday (one of the shortest)? Unless someone chimes in that this is just a bad idea and you should place it later next week.

Last edited by Amber Mathwig : 03-20-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: PA boys are stubborn
Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #20
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Zach, let us know about your Murph time (I'm assuming you won't wear a weight vest?) and how the experience goes. Typically, even elite level athletes coming into CF are humbled by their first truly intense WOD. But who knows?

As for losing strength - yeah, you will. If you're a focused PLer and you stop focusing, you lose strength while gaining in other areas. Your best bet will be to throw in 5x5 BS, DL, BP once a week, or something along those lines. If you're truly interested there are plenty of strong dudes on here who have played with the programming successfully.