CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Cf gym prices

Andrew, have you considered going to an affiliate and offering a trade of services for membership? You must have something of value to offer.

If nothing else, clean toilets, wash floors, paint the walls. Or . . . build a database, distribute flyers . . . there are about a million and one things that need doing in building a small business, and your average business owner simply can't get them all done, and can't afford to pay someone to do them . . . but they probably *could* give you a membership if you did them well.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Aaron Austin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
What kind of cheese would you like to go with your whine?

This subject has been beaten to death, sorry you can't afford attending a CF affiliate, but again, how is posting your non informative comment helpful to this forum?
Jay, I wouldn't consider that comment very constructive. Maybe us newbs haven't had the opportunity to read all the previous posts and cross those discussions off our list yet.

I can sympathise with the thread starter though. I'm 400 km's to the closest affiliate so I don't have a choice to make. But I have looked at the fees for the Ottawa and Toronto affiliates and was shocked at the monthly rates. I was expecting them to be inline with traditional gyms. Especially, given the garage gym emphasis made on this website. Maybe it's worth it - I can't say. I would rather outfit my garage and use a olympic weightlifting coach as needed. I don't need to be part of the crowd.

Aaron
Old 11-09-2008, 02:44 AM   #13
Andrew Dossman

Profile:

actually david i never really did consider doing some odd jobs for the gyms owners but thanks i will consider that, im pretty handy with stuff if the owner needs help building a deck or digging a ditch for a sprinkler system or something and i really have no shame in walking up to people trying to promote so ill have to see if i can work something out. thanks!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Andrew, have you considered going to an affiliate and offering a trade of services for membership? You must have something of value to offer.

If nothing else, clean toilets, wash floors, paint the walls. Or . . . build a database, distribute flyers . . . there are about a million and one things that need doing in building a small business, and your average business owner simply can't get them all done, and can't afford to pay someone to do them . . . but they probably *could* give you a membership if you did them well.
Best advice so far and it's true.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

At $150/month x 12 months, that still would leave you quite short of a nice home gym set-up.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #16
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Bottom line - Do the best you can do with what you have. If you can afford it - join a affiliate. If you cant - train at home, in a park, or at a friends house, or at your globo gym until you get kicked out.
I would try to save all your spare cash and go to a Cert 1 Class. Even if you dont want to be an affiliate it is priceless. And if you want to specialize in certain areas such as Barbell Training or Olympics Training etc...... Got to go to one of those Certs. Rips class was a blast. Not to mention you meet some really cool people that you will stay friends with forever. I see some of them on these posts. Just got a PM from Jamie from Pittsburgh I meet a few months back at Rips Barbell Cert.
Anyway, No one should feel that they are above or below anyone else. I dont think there is one Affiliate Owner or CrossFitter that would not be willing to offer some advice or assistance for you to get started or past a sticking point during your CrossFit Routine. Even other Affilates who compete with each other help each other out by borrowing equipment or asking how they ran a successful fundraiser.
Not that I am the Know it all but when I get PMs sent to me I feel honored to help out other Affilates and Crossfitters.
For someone who doesnt understand the ins and outs of running a business they might not understand the CrossFit Fees. I was one of those people until I started to do some more reseach.
So there you have it. That should sum it all up as far as Fees.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Will Parker

Profile:

What I have found is that CF affiliates are overpriced (imho). A way to get around this is do it at home. Find a proper powerlifting/Olympic lifting gym and go there learn how to lift either continue to CF there or then do it at home.

This is much cheaper than a CF Affiliate. I go to a proper oly gym and it cost me 80 for the year to use when I want, and comes with the coaching which seems to hike up the prices for CF affiliates.

Don't get me wrong I would go to an affiliate if it was affordable but this is a way of getting the same for less if you are tight on money.

Do some research on the coach and their qualifications aswell make sure they are good credible coaches before you give them your money. A good one will often let you trial for awhile so you can experience what it is like.

A trade of services is also a great way to get affiliate membership. I'm talking about cleaning mats with my local affiliate in exchange for BJJ and MMA lessons. As previously stated small businesses need help and you will have something of value to offer them.

I would also advise against a cert for someone who is tight on money as you can get one on one coaching and training for much less, unless you are considering affiliating a cert is unecessary.

Good luck.

Last edited by Will Parker : 11-09-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #18
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Parker View Post
What I have found is that CF affiliates are overpriced (imho).
How much does your gym's personal trainers cost for an hour session? I know that if I go to a corporate gym, I'm lucky even to see a trainer. I know this isn't a topic of discussion in this thread, but it has been in other threads, and it really for the most part is an untrue statement, no matter whose opinion it is. Unless you can find a personal trainer who is as qualified as most affiliate owners and coaches for $10/hr or less, you can't beat the value of going to an affiliate from a fiscal stance only.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #19
Will Parker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Parker View Post
I go to a proper oly gym and it cost me 80 for the year to use when I want, and comes with the coaching which seems to hike up the prices for CF affiliates.
I text the coach when I turn want to turn up during the week, he is there he will coach me help me with what I want to do and then I leave. I don't pay an hourly rate. It is an 80 fee for a years worth of coaching. This is cheaper than 75 a month my local affiliate charges.

He has trained olympic level athletes and has years worth of experience. Just because he is not a CF affiliate does not mean his training is any worse or better than CF.

This is my experience and is aimed to help the OP as he is a student and tight on money. It has no bearing on whether you think it is true or untrue it is simply what I have found to be the case.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

I guess we're lucky. My wife and I pay around $160/month combined, and 5 days a week we get personalized instruction by a cfit level II/usa weightlifting instructor. Seems like a bargain.