CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Jason Hogue

Profile:
Starting Strength or a Hybrid Program

I have been Crossfitting doing the WODs off the sight for about 5 months now and love it. I recently got my copy of Starting Strength in and am wanting to integrate SS into my schedule but can't decide exactly the best route for me to take. Whatever I do I will stat around the beginning of the year when I am home and can get on a stable diet to support heavy lifting.

I am about 5'8" and about 155 now with a body fat of about 10%. I would like the strength and mass gains available through doing SS for a few months, but I don't want to get away from my Cross Fit and Cardio Progress.

In my mind I have 3 viable options.
1. Continue Crossfit WODs and just clean my diet up and see how that goes for about 90 days.

2. Go completely starting strength to build strength and mass and go back to Crossfit after about 90 days.

3. Find some mix of SS and Crossfit that will keep my cardio up and still give my strength and mass a good boost.

Several people have recommended SS to me before to set myself up to get closer to doing RXed WODS in the future, so I am sure it is a good option for a while to get me stronger, but I want to continue progress in all areas of fitness. Will 90 days of straight SS actually hurt my performance in cardio and regular WODs when I get back into straight CF?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
Andrew Wilson

Profile:

Re: Starting Strength or a Hybrid Program

Have you tried a Heavy Fran 3 days a week?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Wendy Shafranski

Profile:

Go for your option #3 (SS and Crossfit) AND clean up your diet. Don't get away from Crossfit! It should give you enough cardio. You can always add some running.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Jason Hogue

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
No, in what way are you speaking, as a supplement or as the only workout. I have only done Fran twice. My first was about 3 months ago and it was 17:00. My last was about 3 weeks ago and it was 10:41. What is the concept on Fran 3 days a week?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You can answer your own question by prioritizing your goals, b/c I think you already know what will happen if you chose each option. Option 1 is you will doing the same thing; at 10%bf you will likely see performance decrease if your bf decreases anymore. And you obviously want a change from what you are doing.

Option 2, doing SS, IMO is your best option. At 155 and 10%bf you can afford to gain some weight, and your goal seems to be strength and mass gains.

Option 3 is a a middle ground which will likely only get you middle way to whatever goal you want.

Start with SS for 30 days and see if you like the results. Nothing to lose.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Are you being serious here?? Or funny??
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Jason Hogue

Profile:

Is it recommended to stay away from cardio while you are doing SS seriously? In the programming chapter of SS it looks like Rip wants you to workout 3 days a week and have a rest day between each workout day. Does your body need complete rest on these days to recover from the heavy lifting or can some cardio or some WOD be added on these days without hurting the SS program?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Do what rip says. Adding cardio will hurt your ss program. If building strength and size is not your 100% goal, then feel free to add cardio.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Jason,
You need to clearly identify what you want. If you want to be a competitive powerlifter, then by all means give up all cardio and do a powerlifting workout. If however you want to be strong and fit you should stay with CrossFit. People who say you need to leave CF to get strong frankly don't know what they are talking about. My son and I have been going through a fairly heavy strength cycle combined with CF for the last few weeks. My metabolic conditioning has not suffered in the least, I've added 50 pounds to my deadlift and 55 pounds to my back squat and deadlifted 325 x 12 this morning. My 150#, 17 year old son back squatted 305 x 3 yesterday and overhead squatted 205 x 3 this morning. Two weeks ago he did Fran in 2:54 a 1 minute PR, and 30 muscle ups for time in 3:40. Your not going to get that by following a powerlifting program. Of course, I don't think we will ever be competitive powerlifters.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
Jason,
You need to clearly identify what you want. If you want to be a competitive powerlifter, then by all means give up all cardio and do a powerlifting workout. If however you want to be strong and fit you should stay with CrossFit. People who say you need to leave CF to get strong frankly don't know what they are talking about. My son and I have been going through a fairly heavy strength cycle combined with CF for the last few weeks. My metabolic conditioning has not suffered in the least, I've added 50 pounds to my deadlift and 55 pounds to my back squat and deadlifted 325 x 12 this morning. My 150#, 17 year old son back squatted 305 x 3 yesterday and overhead squatted 205 x 3 this morning. Two weeks ago he did Fran in 2:54 a 1 minute PR, and 30 muscle ups for time in 3:40. Your not going to get that by following a powerlifting program. Of course, I don't think we will ever be competitive powerlifters.
Agreed.