CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #21
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Anabolic Diet - My Progress

David,
It's sustainable depending on programming if you ask me. Lots of glycolytic work, like I was doing when I gave it a go, put me in the dumps. Nobody does glycolytic work at a high level with less than 30 grams of carbs/day without the occasional carb up... in my opinion every 3-4 days is better than every 7 for a CF'er..

Number 2 was kind of answered by my above writing. I would go with the 12 day induction phase to totally deplete glycogen and force a bit of a fat conversion on the body, from there I would go with two smaller carb ups... one every 3-4 days... per week.

Are you Zoning currently?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #22
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I would go with two smaller carb ups... one every 3-4 days... per week.
I've been contemplating this all weekend. Wondering how the body would react to doing that. I'm thinking follow the standard CF 3/1 schedule and just carb up on rest days. But make it a 12 hr carb load. I wonder if the diet would could have the same effect on a 3/1 schedule?

I'm going to stick with the standard AD program for at least a month though first.

-Ryan
Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #23
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Yeah, i would give it a month to see how you're feeling. I think that DiPasquale even notes that smaller carb up can take place during the week if you're not doing well with the 24-36 hour carb up.

I think that Natural Hormonal Enhancement prescribes something like a 3/1 carb load.

either way, by the time you get to your next carb up, you should be really glycogen depleted and ready for it.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Long View Post
I have read some about Anabolic Diet but have some basic misunderstandings:

1) is it sustainable?Most BB diets are cyclic. I want something long term

2) support CF wods? With IF I stayed strong, but was getting gassed on met-cons. I want more strength, but need to be able to hang with met con.
Yes and yes. It's super easily sustainable. You can eat at almost anywhere. Suddenly every fastfood place becomes an excellent place to excel at your "diet." It's also the fastest I have ever lost fat and gained strength.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #25
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I've been reading about the Anabolic Diet and I'm still confused about carb consumption. It says eat no carbs Monday-Friday, but when people post logs they always include vegetables and whatnot. How much vegetables should you be eating during the week--do green vegetables simply not factor into your calculatoins? And is there a specification of what kind of carbs you should be eating during the carb-up days--I assume fruits and vegetables are preferable, right?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #26
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Emily, for the most part, the green vegetables are free due to fiber making up the majority of their carb content.

During carb up days, starchy carbs are the best. A fair amount of fruit to get the liver right is a good idea, but otherwise sweet potatoes, yams, even rice and regular white potatoes are alright (AD can be tougher to do on a Paleo plan that outlaws such foods).

You'll find what works best for you, as you're going to need to replenish muscle glycogen as fully as possible, but also need to get the liver glycogen topped off as well.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #27
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

While a strict Paleo (original book) was down on sweet potatoes. The Paleo for Athletes book encourages those things (and others) as necessary carbs for athletic endevours. I think carbing up on the anabolic diet would qualify.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Definitely, I actually consider sweet potatoes and yams as paleo foods. PWO only, but still qualify in my book.

I have to be honest though, carb up on sweet potatoes and yams for close to 500 grams of carbs... would suck.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Day 9 - Still have not been able to find the Nun OR the Donkey...where did they go? Still lost in the freezing desert and surrounded by wood chips...wood chips everywhere!!! I'm beginning to think I've gone mad...or maybe it's everyone else who has gone mad and I'm the last sane person??? Where is that Donkey???

In all seriousness, I'm feeling great. Lost 10 lbs from when I started 9 days ago. I'm sure most of that is water even though I'm drinking over a gallon a day. Been getting between 2000 and 2500 cal a day. Goal is 2400 which is about 700 under what BMR is. I feel great, lots of energy. Workouts are doing ok, not stellar. Of course they weren't stellar before and I'm still new to Crossfit. I going to switch over and do Starting Strength for a couple of months to get, well strength of course, and get my form on the weights. Never been a big fan of squats and deadlifts, so I'm going to have to become a fan apparently.

I am feeling ravenously hungry this week. Like I could eat all day long. I have plenty of fat to get by on, believe you me, so the calorie deficit should be ok. Just so hungry...craving cheese and summer sausage....mmmm, summer sausage!!! My food ration at the end of the day is right on 60%F 37%P 3%C, I've kept under the 30g of carbs easily. Why am I so hungry??? Only another hour before I can eat something...(I eat every three hours).

-Ryan
Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lynch View Post
Only another hour before I can eat something...(I eat every three hours).-Ryan
Would make a great title to a Stephen King or Dean Koontz novel, as it's a pretty sad to have to worry about jamming something into your mouth every three hours.............