CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #21
Alex Reynolds

Profile:
Re: Why are Affiliate gym memberships so $$$?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Reynolds View Post
2) as has already been mentioned, you are getting to workout with like minded individuals as opposed to meat head pieces of S@#$ who are rude, and overall very less knowledgeable about being "fit"

Working out in a globo gym, you are also working out with like minded individuals. They just have different goals than crossfit. And having been a "meat head piece of S@#$", although never rude and NOT less knowledgeable about being fit, I take offense to that last statement. Over generalizing is never good. I guess I haven't committed to drinking the kookaid yet. I like crossfit. I like weightlifting. They are two different things, working towards two different goals. Neither is better than the other. One is only better for you when you choose a goal.
My apologies, maybe piece of s@#$ was a little too harsh. Dirt maybe?? Just kidding, I shouldn't have said that. Me and my CrossFit buddies were given weird looks and fought for our pull up bars all through college, so I guess I have a little disdain for bodybuilders. I understand that you have different goals, and CrossFit is not a cure all, I just got a little carried away because I drink the Kool-Aid early and often
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #22
Jack Westman

Profile:

Probably because it's been said before. Hope I can get the link right.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27053
W/F Safe.

Lots of affiliates chimed in on that thread.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #23
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Good question, some gyms like ours offer a lower-priced group training rate and a one-on-one rate which is fairly high.
Many CrossFit Certified trainers have extensive experience, and are very accomplished athletes. This is often not the case in non-CF gyms.
High quality costs, and you should find a lot of value in what you are receiving for training.
People who are on a tight budget, might still want to set up a garage gym at home and do the WODs there.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #24
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Well, just compare the cost to enroll a girl in dance classes at a decent studio. My daughter it's $38/month per class (at 45 minutes per session, that's 3 hours per month). And that's for teaching a little kid in a decent size group setting.

Basically, you're paying for a professional's time first, and paying for a facility/equipment second.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #25
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

As an affiliate we have many overhead costs to cover. For my situation I give up 30% of my business to utilize 1000 sq ft of floor space at the gym I train at. I also have the expense of purchasing equipment and replacing equipment when/if it gets damaged.

I'm buying 4 new oly bars this weekend and it will cost around $1200.00, 2 power sleds $300.00, C-2 Rower $1000.00, 2-sets of bumpers $600.00. I now need another 31 new members just to recover the cost of the new equipment.

I also have the typical business expenses of any other business (i.e. business related taxes, continuing education certifications & seminars, office supplies, computers, accountant, trainers fees, Advertising, marketing & promotions etc..).

I charge $100.00/mo. for unlimited CF training for current gym members and
$140.00/mo. for Non-Members.

The difference between CF and Globo gym prices is the quality of service and attention and most importantly RESULTS!!

Typical Globo gyms will cost around $35.00/mo. in my city. This only provides access to a building full of machines. No trainers or instruction. You're on your own. Good Luck. If you decide to hire a trainer it typically
runs $60.00/hr.

My Affiliate has 100 open classes(come to any class that fits your schedule) per month for $100.00/mo. That's a $1.00/class. Can't complain about that.

Now do the math.

Globo gym membership=$35.00

Globo Gym--100 hours of training x $60.00/hr.=$6000.00
(NO open schedule. Must pre-schedule appointments.
Most trainers charge for cancellations and NO SHOWS)

Average client trains 12 times per month (3 x's per week) x $60.00/hr.=$720.00/mo. + $35.00 gym membership=$755.00/mo.

Now does CF training really cost that much??
Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #26
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Reynolds View Post
My apologies, maybe piece of s@#$ was a little too harsh. Dirt maybe?? Just kidding, I shouldn't have said that. Me and my CrossFit buddies were given weird looks and fought for our pull up bars all through college, so I guess I have a little disdain for bodybuilders. I understand that you have different goals, and CrossFit is not a cure all, I just got a little carried away because I drink the Kool-Aid early and often
Now don't lump me in with bodybuilders! Those guys are the worst.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #27
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Westman View Post
Probably because it's been said before. Hope I can get the link right.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27053
W/F Safe.

Lots of affiliates chimed in on that thread.
Jack, thanks for posting that link.

It seems like we go over this issue almost every month.

But the library/college analogy is the best I've heard yet.

None of us in the smaller markets are "raking it in," believe me . . .
Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
Chad hamm

Profile:

For years I studied BJJ under a top instructor and never gave any thought to the money I was shelling out each month. Why? Because the instruction was worth every penny. Other than the Zebra mats at the academy there was very little equipment. Everyone that attended (and those that still do) were (and is) happy to pay.

At the time JJ was my addiction. And like most addicts I found a way to fit it into my budget. Now that I live in a place where JJ is not available and I have learned of CF it has become my latest addiction. So paying the fees at my affiliate was an easy decision.

Due to the nearest affiliate being over 45 minutes away I was only able to make it once a week and would train with guys from work at the base gym the rest of the week. Now that I have an affiliate 4 miles from my house (Thanks Skip!) I am there everyday, unless like now the Navy has me at sea). In fact most of the guys I was working out with at the base train at Mt Baker CF Whidbey Island because of the level of instruction. Skip and the other trainers there provide the critical eye that I need to improve

Every time I visit an affiliate, I learn a ton. Whether it is Thomi at CF Virginia Beach fixing my DL, or Nick and Ray at CF San Diego fixing my squat, or Paul at GSX in Fort Worth keeping my thrusters honest during Fran, my bad habits are identified and corrected.

As an additional benefit, I have yet to meet anyone, trainer or client, at any affiliate that I couldnít see myself becoming friends with. Point being, the sense of community, camaraderie, level of instruction and obvious fitness improvements are worth the money to me.

Additionally I look at it like this; When I used to drink I would easily spend 150 in a weekend and feel like S#$% afterward. Now I donít spend near that much a month and am near the best shape of my life.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #29
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree strongly with what is written above. Unless you are going to be a hermit who doesn't leave the house, you usually have to spend your money on something. I pack my lunch (and sometimes dinner) when I go to work. I don't buy an iphone, Tivo, or some other useless crap that will only help my a@# get bigger instead of smaller. So to spend the dough on the affiliate is not unreasonable if you really enjoy it.

This brings me to a broader implication about being generally happy. People do things for financial concerns that are just dumb in my opinion. I used to date a girl whose dad was OCD and would wash and detail their cars multiple times a week so he could get a good trade in later. The family is really well off, and there is no reason for him to do this. The point is that some people do crazy things to pinch a penny, but sometimes in the end, if we splurge and give in to what makes us happy we would be much better off.

Furthermore, like the above post says, many people spend money to abuse their bodies, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable to spend some money to get yourself into "elite" shape.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #30
Robin Maier

Profile:

You are paying for a CrossFit certified trainer (the best kind in my opinion). Trainers at any gym in our area are all a minimum of $50/hour. So $150 would get you 3 hours of training. Whereas $100-$150 at a CrossFit affiliate gets you a whole month of unlimited training. Wow, what a deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Barnett View Post
Now do the math.

Globo gym membership=$35.00

Globo Gym--100 hours of training x $60.00/hr.=$6000.00
(NO open schedule. Must pre-schedule appointments.
Most trainers charge for cancellations and NO SHOWS)

Average client trains 12 times per month (3 x's per week) x $60.00/hr.=$720.00/mo. + $35.00 gym membership=$755.00/mo.

Now does CF training really cost that much??
Looks like we should all be raising our prices!!

Last edited by Robin Maier : 04-17-2008 at 10:56 AM.