CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-17-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: Why are Affiliate gym memberships so $$$?

Think of the free gym membership as access to a public library. You have everything you need there for a world class level of knowledge if you just apply yourself.

Think of a CF affiliate as the top educational institution in the field you are interested in studying. Yes it can be expensive but if really learning this subject matters to you...

The model of globo is usually access to equipment, sell cheap memberships and hope clients don't come in, sell some more. Or of late some are selling personal training which runs the cost as high or higher than an affiliate membership.

CF affiliates hopefully teach, coach and motivate in a way that is so different than most mainstream programs that the difference is worth it several times over. I firmly believe on average a person would get much more bang for the buck with an affiliate compared to a cheap gym membership.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

I agree with all that has been said about why CrossFit gyms are more expensive. I also would like to add my own two cents as to why one may pay more.

1) It's a hobby. CrossFit for me has become like any other of my hobbies, yes it is still fitness, but just the community, the workouts, and everything else have began to take up a lot of my life and thus become more of a hobby than just "working out". Therefore, you are spending money on a hobby IF you are this emphatic about it.

2) as has already been mentioned, you are getting to workout with like minded individuals as opposed to meat head pieces of S@#$ who are rude, and overall very less knowledgeable about being "fit"

HOWEVER, this does not address the point of the original post about why it is necessary to charge so much. Yes it is specialized, yes it is a niche market with small numbers, but that still doesn't explain absolutely why it costs so much. I don't want to get into a big economic discussion, but it is probably because of the simple fact that people who enjoy it will pay that much (the old supply and demand!)

ALSO, I did do the math, and 150 x 12 = $1800, (plus the price of gas driving to the gym for me) that's nearly 2000 dollars a year to workout. As much as I love CrossFit, that's just a bit much for me. I try to make it to any seminars that I can at affiliates, or drop in every now and then, but otherwise, I opted for the home gym setup, which does suck when it comes to the camaraderie, and having someone there to push you. I trained at an affiliate for a while, and my gains were MUCH better than at home simply because of the "white board competition" that went on. My home gym has pretty much everything you need, and if I do ever get the money to go to an affiliate (my job is not all that great at the moment) I can sell the home gym stuff and make my investment back.

My 2 cents
Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #13
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

Also, I do take issue with some of the CF gyms that cost so much but yet only have prescribed workout times. In my opinion, if you know the moves, and a trainer is present, if you are paying 150 or whatever, you should definitely have access to the gym for most of the time mon-sun. It doesn't have to be open from 5am to midnight, but I have seen some affiliates that are closed on sundays and most of saturday- a time when many busy people (who can afford 150/month would be willing to workout)
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Reynolds View Post
2) as has already been mentioned, you are getting to workout with like minded individuals as opposed to meat head pieces of S@#$ who are rude, and overall very less knowledgeable about being "fit"

Working out in a globo gym, you are also working out with like minded individuals. They just have different goals than crossfit. And having been a "meat head piece of S@#$", although never rude and NOT less knowledgeable about being fit, I take offense to that last statement. Over generalizing is never good. I guess I haven't committed to drinking the kookaid yet. I like crossfit. I like weightlifting. They are two different things, working towards two different goals. Neither is better than the other. One is only better for you when you choose a goal.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #15
Lucas Allmon

Profile:

I have a reason I am suprised no one else has listed yet (unless I missed it)

Results.

While I am graciously able to workout for free right now, the results that I am getting are easily worth 100 dollars a month to me. When our affiliate actually opens as an affiliate gym, I will pay to go there because it is worth it.

Another option is to go until you have learned proper form on the exercises, and then go when the WOD is something you don't have the equipment for. If a workout only includes burpees, box jumps, dips and a jump rope...no real need to go to the affiliate that day, but if you dont have an oly weight set, you may want to go.

I guess flexibility is a good reason too then.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #16
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Compare apples to apples ... the cost's very comparable to what people pay for other small-group learning/exercise situations. Think of your better local Pilates or Yoga studios, dance studios, martial arts dojo, or boxing club.

Think of the cost of group art or music lessons, or of special skills training e.g. in a soccer academy. Could you do this on your own? Some of it. Could you do it as well, or learn it as fast? Likely not - good coaching makes a world of difference, whether learning a gymnastics movement or learning a complicated passage on a musical instrument.

It's perfectly fine to not be able, for whatever reason, to work out at an affiliate. Cost is one part of why I mostly work out at home; it's a challenge to field the range of extra-curricular expenses of a family with 3 active and artistic kids on essentially one income.

But are affiliate fees worth what they charge? If your affiliate trainers are doing their job right, you bet! Whether or not I can afford them as much as I'd prefer is irrelevant.

t
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #17
Fred Paepke

Profile:

You get what you pay for.

I have all the gear I need at home, but I'm not self-motivated (which is probably why I sat on my rear for 20 years before making the decision to do something about the sorry state of my body). I regularly give 50-80% of my all when I work out alone, but I'm very close to 100% at my local CF affiliate. I wouldn't be where I am today without the motivation a group workout gives me.

Case in point: we did Angie this morning. I thought I'd manage maybe half of the workout, but the enthusiasm of the group pushed me past the dozen points where I wanted to quit and I managed to complete the whole workout. I would never have finished on my own at home.

Also, if you're cheap like me, paying a substantial sum of cash for a monthly membership really motivates one to get up and go workout instead of hitting the snooze button. I like to get my money's worth out of my investment.

-Fred.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #18
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

interesting why affiliates are not saying anything. I think they are the only ones who can actually answer this question. Why is it so expensive, affiliates?
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #19
Joey Powell

Profile:

I am the least expensive I know of. Being in a semi-rural location and out of my own property, I have virtually no overhead, other than electrictiy, some money still owed on equipment, and improvements.

The sheer amount of personal attention I give does not even approach a comperable wage from my "day" job. Because have a small space (<1000'), my insurance is next to nothing.

If I was to go "big time" and get a real space that needed rent money, increased insurance, drive time, gas, commercial utilities, etc I would need to double all my rates just to stay afloat.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #20
Zach Davis

Profile:

Interesting conversation... especially as it appears the central value of a CrossFit gym is so poorly communicated, even to the people who it seems should really know.

Here's why it cost on average $150 a month for unlimited classes at a CrossFit affiliate:

You pay for the training. Every class (in affiliates that I am aware of... I'm sure there are exceptions) is coached by a qualified CrossFit trainer.

$50 a month at a globo-gym affords you access to a bunch of equipment. $150 at a CrossFit gym gets you access to a trainer who will correct form, assign correct loads, motivate, spot, etc....

Zach