CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Jonathon Jensen

Profile:
Why are Affiliate gym memberships so $$$?

Hey All,
I curious as to why Crossfit affiliate gyms cost so much? I've looked throughout the treads on the forum and haven't found anything addressing this topic.

I want to be clear that I am in no way trying to dog any of the affiliates with the comments I'm making here; I appreciate all that CF has done for me so far, and what the affiliates do for many who have a desire to obtain a higher level of fitness. But....I am confounded as to why they cost so much? Its quite a chunk of change to have to dish out $160 a month for unlimited access to many of the Crossfit gyms. I have only found 1 Crossfit gym which costs about $50 a month, and its no where near my house.

I understand that a Crossfit gym requires some specialized equipment, but lets be honest...these generally don't look like high-end, high tech facilities. In fact, a lot of them look like they're operated out of warehouses, so why do traditional membership gyms in prime locations only cost 40-80 bucks a month and Crossfit gyms 140-160?

I know that folks might say that through the affiliates, membership includes access to training sessions, etc, but what if I have a good general grasp of Crossfit, and all I need is a place to do my workouts without participating in any classes?

I'm having trouble understanding this, please help me out.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Why are Affiliate gym memberships so $$$?

A lot of them will have a higher fee for membership as far as classes and training goes. Some have a "drop-in" rate that is lower; some don't.

Generally the membership at many CrossFit gyms is much smaller than that of globogyms. The training, on the other hand, is much better. You get to work out with like-minded individuals, rather than with an ipod and a blank stare ahead.

Smaller operations tend to have higher prices ... just the way things are. The equipment is cheap, but if the membership base is small, they need more funds from each member. Globogyms have hundreds of members, and franchise-money to pay for their equipment.

This is my perception of it anyways. It can probably be pretty hard to make a living as a trainer through a smaller CrossFit gym than a globogym, which might be why so many CF Affiliates also have other full-time jobs.

Kinda sucky, but I'd use the CF Affiliate for the community and environment rather htan the training. I couldn't afford to work out there every day, but maybe drop by 2 or 3 times a month for a session, and invest the rest of your money in building up a home gym instead.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
A lot of them will have a higher fee for membership as far as classes and training goes. Some have a "drop-in" rate that is lower; some don't.

Generally the membership at many CrossFit gyms is much smaller than that of globogyms. The training, on the other hand, is much better. You get to work out with like-minded individuals, rather than with an ipod and a blank stare ahead.

Smaller operations tend to have higher prices ... just the way things are. The equipment is cheap, but if the membership base is small, they need more funds from each member. Globogyms have hundreds of members, and franchise-money to pay for their equipment.

This is my perception of it anyways. It can probably be pretty hard to make a living as a trainer through a smaller CrossFit gym than a globogym, which might be why so many CF Affiliates also have other full-time jobs.

Kinda sucky, but I'd use the CF Affiliate for the community and environment rather htan the training. I couldn't afford to work out there every day, but maybe drop by 2 or 3 times a month for a session, and invest the rest of your money in building up a home gym instead.

I am buy no means rich but even though I have acess to over 8 different free gyms and 1 Golds globo gym I would rather pay to go to a crossfit gym. I am shocked that there isn't one in Killeen. This is the biggest military installation in the world and we have alot of crossfitters our gyms on post don't really support us and they have all those crappy nautlis machines and the low pulley chest guy's always take up all the pullup bars in the gym and I have only ever seen one rower in the whole city belonging to a fellow crossfitter on this site. I would gladly spend 150 plus a month to workout at a crossfit gym with like minded people and people who could teach me the findamentals.

Oh well there is one in Austin I may drop in there one weekend.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

I think a lot of the affiliates offer punch cards too. These can be good for those drop-in sessions when you feel the need to be in the CF atmosphere.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Craig Massey

Profile:

Globogyms buy equipment, a one off cost.
CF gyms buy trainers, an ongoing cost.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:

High-tech globo-gyms offer mostly useless training and coaching that's not much better. Crossfit gyms give you useful equipment that you probably wouldn't have the full complement of at home and most importantly quality coaching.

If you still think it's too much money, you don't have to go to an affiliate, though I would advise some drop-in classes to get your form dialed in.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Jonathon Jensen

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everyone - probably would be worth it to do some "drop-ins" every now and then. Luckily the gym in my building (which is free) has most of the equipment I need, but it doesn't have everything.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

While much of the spaces many CF gyms are in are warehouse/light industrial zoned; I'd wager even a modest amount of equipment could total 5-20k. That's pocket change compared to a globogym.

Sure, a globogym costs maybe tops 50 bucks a month ( not including shakes, tans, massage, and PL ) but how likely are you going to get any hands on training. If you're lucky, maybe one of the trainers might help you out ( or maybe because they are egotistical and think you'll buy some PL package ).

It's been said before that at a CF gym you will get a mix between group training ( 10 maybe 15 to maybe just 6 or 7 ) to personal hands on training. Private lessons generally will start at 50 dollars an hour if not 65 to 80. Sometimes a package costs a lot less but you're still forking out twice or thrice as much as unlimited than a CF unlimited.

Many people can justify the cost of going FT to CF like any other athletic endeavor like dance, martial arts, gymnastics, sport, etc. Costs could be similar.

Personally I'm a cheap bastard who is quite smug when it comes to a lot of the training. I pay for access when I go and can because I don't have access to a squat cage or bumpers. I'd pay for training with high level coaches if it tickled my fancy. Unfortunately, I'm also fairly dis-social when working out ( not anti-social, hah ) so I don't care about too much of the camaraderie except when doing gymnastics with peers or my betters.

Besides, CF women are hot. Ok, that's random and honestly when working out I don't give a damn. Eye candy on the side.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 AM   #9
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Jonathon~
Compare the membership cost approx $50 let's say...(factor in most require you sign into a minimum year contract) of a globo than add in personal trainer sessions $50/session at the gym I went to, say 3x a week for a month=$650!
Factor in unlimited access to a CF affilaite for one month approx $200(high endish) which includes the training.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
Steve Reggio

Profile:

Jonathan,
Affiliates cost what they do based on the area (Real Estate costs), utilities/upkeep, equipment, training. Most will charge what they charge in order to cover their costs and make a decent living. Not many one box affiliates are getting rich off CrossFit.

Think about how many yahoos go join Globo-Gym (Thousands typically), get locked in for a year and never show. They hire idiots to run the front desk, no training and leave you on your own. CrossFit affilates, of a good size, will only have 100-200 members (some smaller, some bigger) and most of those people show up. You need the higher rates just to cover your cost.

Its a totally different business model than the globo-gym.

That is like me asking- Why do you get paid so much? I could go find a guy with less education and less skill down the street who will do it for less.