CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #11
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: Great respect for Crossfit Athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Fossier View Post
I'm new also, but I can say with certainty that you have no place doing the SS routine. With your maxes what they are, you need focus more on WOD type workouts.
Just for clarity, I wasn't suggesting you use the SS routine, but the physiology contained in the book sheds a bright light on the "functional movement" part of why crossfit works the whole body so well.... IMHO, I could be wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Doug Holland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Fossier View Post
I'm new also, but I can say with certainty that you have no place doing the SS routine. With your maxes what they are, you need focus more on WOD type workouts.
Hi Spencer,

I have another window open showing Mark instructing a lady how to do a DL (at CF). It is helpful to look at your form. CF seems to care about form and maybe that is where Mark comes in.

Anyway, back to your point. I am thinking that it would be better to not be so strong on the lifts but rather carry medium weight over a longer period (faster).

I guess by what I read here its called "functional Strength?"

If so I am in.

Doug
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Holland View Post
I guess by what I read here its called "functional Strength?"

If so I am in.

Doug

...and another Crossfitter is born... or are we "unleashed"?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Rip is responsible for much of the powerlifting programming and instruction in today's CF.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Your's is a very interesting situation. I think that for us to tell you what to do is not totally correct on our part considering you are big and pretty strong. A few guys you may want to look up on these boards would be Arden Cogar Jr.(competitive lumberjack) and Travis Ortmayer (professional strongman competitor). Another point, what exactly are your goals? Trim the BF down, improve your conditioning, did I miss anything? Do you want to go up on your DL and Back Squat? When you squat, how deep do you go?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #16
Doug Holland

Profile:

@ Bob

LOL

@ Brandon

Hello. Thanks for the info

@ Aaron

Quote:
Arden Cogar Jr.(competitive lumberjack) and Travis Ortmayer (professional strongman competitor). Another point, what exactly are your goals? Trim the BF down, improve your conditioning, did I miss anything? Do you want to go up on your DL and Back Squat? When you squat, how deep do you go?
I think its time to give up the BF and become more concerned about conditioning. So what if I can lift a car if I cant keep up with the cross trainers...lol

So, I hope with all these quick power moves I don't injure.
Dang, these power cleans are hard. That squat while holding BB over head is insane. I just cant do it! I will keep trying.

D
Old 02-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Ahh, so you like the Oly Lifts!
Since you are most concerned about the BF then 3-4 days a week of the CF WOD would probably suit you real well. But since the Olys interest you, train them 1 or 2 days a week. Now, with these lifts you need to drill technique and form because you are probably strong enough to do some damage with bad form. I'm not trying to scare you, just don't want you to get overexcited.
http://www.wlinfo.com/special_needs_...lifters_an.htm (wfs)
This is an excerpt from a book that deals with strength athletes moving to Olympic Lifting.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n8mWo3_J--4 (wfs)
This is a video of Casey Burgener Snatching 180kg (396lbs) at 124kg(272) bodyweight.

If you want to get good at the Olys and maybe even compete finding a coach would be very beneficial.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I agree with those that have said just jump into the WODs. Despite the short duration of many of the workouts you will find that 20 minutes is more than enough time to feel like you want to die and devistate your body for several days. Just be sure that even though you are very strong, scale workouts appropriately and spend a lot of time looking through the demos of the different px-ed motions because even though you are very strong, you can still hurt yourself on a lot of these. if you like learning about the philosophy the journals are a great resource also

Other than that welcome to the community and good luck with the training

-Robert
Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Hey Doug,

So I am still newbie (month 4 of Crossfit) but here are my .02. I come from the opposite background, I was a runner, never lifted weights. Since cleaning up my diet (zone/paleo) and doing crossfit I have lost somewhere around 25lbs. and have gone from 26% BF to 16%.

My suggestion would be to find a good crossfit trainer who can help you tailor the schedule to you. I know that you have probably been training very effectively on your for your entire life, however, especially with the technical lifts, this would be a good way to gain the experience on the WODs.

You can probably find the nearest facility here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6&source=embed WFS
Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #20
Tarun Suri

Profile:

Mark Ripptoe didn't create Crossfit, but he's an avid teacher of functional movements behind the base of this program.

His book, Starting Strength, will guide you through the 5 basic movements of back squats, deadlifts, millitary press, bent over rows and bench press.
While, you may have done those movements before and from the looks of it for many years, you'll find that you will learn a lot of your mistakes come through form.
(Testimonials of many "elite" trainers after reading his book.)
I believe his second book surpasses his first and even teaches upon assistance excersises.

You'll improve a lot in terms of form, which will only add more output to the energy you already exert in your workouts.
However, Starting Strength as a workout program is not for you. You've surpassed the basic conditionings to be able to add weight every workout in a liear fashion. If you were to continue strength training like you previously were, Bill Star's 5x5 periodized workout would be more for you, but that's a differents tory based on your goals.

Depending on the type of WoD, you may need to scale it down based on the number of rounds or stamina required to complete the workout, but one thing is for sure, you will see gains will Crossfit, as it combines both strength and stamina (among others) while maintaining functional movement.

Try out Crossfit for a month by doing the WoD's, see where you are and find out how to encorporate CrossFit with your other strength training goals.

Welcome to the community Doug. I hope you'll enjoy your stay.