CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Zak Watkins

Profile:
Zak's Strength & Conditioning Log

Hi guys, I have been reading this site for a while but just recently joined. I'm looking to put myself in pretty good shape over the next few months before summer hits. Here are my stats:
20 years old, 6'0'', 185lbs., 20% bodyfat I think, mma trainee/competitor

I am looking to get my bodyfat way down before I graduate this summer and join the real world, ideally, I will begin June around 165-170ish in very lean condition. Ultimately, I want to be around 200 or so pounds and compete as a middleweight(185lbs.) in mma. For now, I am on a pretty tight budget as a college student and can't afford to do a weight gaining diet, plus I really want to shred away my beer gut, then build up to 200 while maintaining a leaner physique than I currently possess.

I may join the crossfit type gym in my area or I might train in my backyard if money is tight. If I just workout in my backyard, I will alternate between three workouts that I would do 4 times a week. I will also do the starting strength routine on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It all gets started on Monday, I'll report back then.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Zak Watkins

Profile:
Re: Zak's Strength & Conditioning Log

Ok, so it has taken me longer than I wanted to get into the swing of things. I am not going to be training at the crossfit gym in town due to budget constraints, so I have to do conditioning with what I have at my home. I won't be training mma regularly again until May, so I figure I will get my conditioning way up so I will be able to pick up where I left off much faster. I didn't really get started until this past Wednesday. I did 4 rounds of 100 sledgehammer swings. Each round was timed and the last 3 rounds had to be right at the time of the first round. If it took me longer in any round to compete 100 swings than the first round time, I had to do 3 burpees for each swing I was away from 100. Plus, if I went over 100 swings in the same amount of time, I had to do 1.5 for every swing over 100. So my time ended up being a combined 13:20, with only 11 burpees. Today, I did a circuit of 50 reps for 3 rounds. The circuit is: 10 sprawls, 8 tire flips(170lb.), 12 push ups, 12 squats, 6 clean and presses, 2 bear crawls. My time on the 3 rounds was 14:56, my conditioning sucks right now. I follow all conditioning work with a few rounds of boxing on my heavy bag. Next week, I'll get everything in full gear.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Zak Watkins

Profile:

1-28-08

184.8lbs.

today was my first day of strength work along with conditioning.
I am using the Westside for Skinny Bastards routine. I'm starting with the weights pretty low since I haven't worked out with weights in quite some time.
bench press 90lb x 5, 100lb x 5, 110lb x 3
incline db press 35lb x 6,6,6
bent over rows 100lb x 10,10,10,10
db cleans 30lb x 12,12
side bends 40lb x 8,8,8

same sledgehammer swing conditioning from last week. Took me 13:59 this time with 15 burpees. Last time was 13:20 with 11 burpees. Not sure what happened, but I think my timer was off the first time I did these last week.
Tomorrow is another strength day (leg day) and more conditioning (bodyweight circuit).
Old 07-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Zak Watkins

Profile:

Wow, it has been forever since I updated this thing. Well, let me say that I have alot of work to do. When I last posted, I was weighing 184, this morning I weighed in at 196!! And no, it wasn't weight gained from crossfit, it was weight gained courtesey of the Anheiser Busch brewing company. So I've cut out the beer and most bad food, and am trying to make my weigh (pun intended) back down to the 180 range. I do mma and ultimately want to compete as a middleweight (185lbs.), so I want to get back up over 200 but in a healthy way, not with the assistance of beer. So I have been very inconsistent with my diet and workout the past 6 or so months, but of the 12 pounds more that I weigh now, I believe some of it is muscle. Anyhow, I started back with crossfit yesterday, I follow the protocol of crossfithattiesburg. Here are how things look so far.

Monday, July 28, 2008
21-15-9 reps of overhead squats, knees to elbow, and wall balls; for time. I used 45#s on the ohs, and did sit ups instead of kte. My time for all three rounds was 10:20.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Crossfit Total
Squats: 175 (could have possibly gone as high as 200#, but I didn't have a spotter so I stopped at 175 to be safe.
Press: 95 (pressing movements are definately my weak point)
Deadlifts: 255 (I'm really happy here, I have never attempted a 1 rep max on dl's before, and I broke my previous personal record of 210 by 45#s!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Zak Watkins

Profile:

July 31,08
today's workout: 100 pull ups,100 push ups,100 sit ups,100 squat

Holy hell, this was much more difficult than I though it would be. It wasn't that I got too tired so much as my muscles quit on me. My time was 47:19. Not sure what most people's times are, but I'm sure mine was 20 minutes longer than it should take. I'm still amazed at how difficult it was, guess I should get ready for some ridiculous soreness tomorrow from this.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Zak Watkins

Profile:

Aug 1, 2008
Today's workout:
5 bodyweight deadlifts (which means 195#s for me)
10 dumbbell push press (I used 35#s)
Max rounds in 10 minutes

This was ridiculously hard. I finished with only 3 rounds in 10 minutes. I should have only used 20#s on the push press, I would have gotten at least one more round, maybe one and a half or two more rounds. But it sure was perhaps the most taxing 10 minutes I've ever experienced working out. I'm falling more and more in love with crossfit as the days go by. Now I just got to get my diet in check. Goal for me is 175-180#s by October 1st!!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Leanne M Lloyd

Profile:

Good luck on your goals! Stick with it
Old 08-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Zak Watkins

Profile:

8-4-08
195.4#s this morning

today's workout
-1 rep max on overhead squat: 85#s
-Hang clean/pull up ladder 1-5 x 4 rounds; for time: 19:00

Yeah, this workout was harder than I thought it would be. I was supposed to use full clean and press instead of hang cleans, but after the first couple reps, my body was having none of it, so I switched to hang cleans with the same weight (which happened to be 85#s). I have decided to add a max effort lift to the beginning of my wods to keep a strength focus with the cardio aspects. And judging by my meager 85 pound ohs, strength is something I need!!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Zak Watkins

Profile:

8-5-08
Today's workout
-1 rep max on push press :105#s
-30 seconds work/ 30 seconds rest for 8 minutes of 20# db push press;65 reps total

I think I strained a muscle in my back from doing deadlifts twice last week, and chin ups yesterday didn't help any. So I had to tread lightly today. I would have gotten at least 10 more pounds on push press, but my back strain seemed to become a limiting factor on the last couple sets. The last part of my workout today called for a chin up ladder, which I skipped.