CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

I don't know what the heck is going on, but here's the story (background on me by the way, 27/M, somewhere between 160-165 lbs, it fluctuates):

I eat mostly zone all the time (measured for a while, now I do a combination of eyeball for fresh stuff and gram counting based on "nutritional information" for some lunch meats, cheeses, etc.. that stuff, NOT "chef boyardee").

Anyhow, a while back they had a sale on Breyers at the local grocery store (like 2 for five bucks or something) so I stocked up because I liked to have a bowl here and there. When I was going through a max strength type routine, I would often have a bowl of ice cream before going to bed. I finished the max strength portion and went on to a max power portion, and during most of that time, I would have a bowl of Breyers every single night, whether I did a hard WOD or not. My weight (and waist size) went down during this time.

NOW the strange part, while continuing doing the same thing, I would not eat anything besides a post-workout snack before bed (typically I work out at night). And all of a sudden, my weight (and waist size) started going up, and my waist seemed like it had more flab on it than before.

So I started eating ice cream every night again, and the weight started coming back off, and the flab started going away again. Also, my performance in the WOD's has been getting better and better the whole time, regardless of the direction of my weight. Plus, my blood pressure is typically somewhere around 95/55 or so, maybe 100/60. Resting heart rate somewhere around 48 bpm (although I haven't checked what it's down to lately).

Can anyone explain why this is happening? It seems counter-intuitive. The Breyers is something like 8 grams fat per serving, 20 grams carbs, and 3 grams protein. So it's far from zone friendly.

The only thing I can think of is since I keep a steady supply of fat in my food intake and/or in my tummy at all times, I'm training my body to use fat whenever there's a need, and not spare it, because there's always more on the way. Does that make sense?

Also, I want to make sure I'm not going to end up killing myself doing this, as if I'm unknowingly clogging arteries by eating the ice cream nightly or something because of the higher carb content.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

Your ice cream is only 2 blocks of carbs, has a low glycemic load.

You'd need to explain what your post-workout meal was. I've never been a fan of a high glycemic index/load meal right before bed.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I sense a truly best-selling diet book in the making . . .
Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
I sense a truly best-selling diet book in the making . . .
Heck yeah, go for it!!!

George... as for the question, typically my post workout snack (on a day I plan to have ice cream) is about 2 blocks protein powder, 2 blocks carbs, and 0 blocks fat (theory is, I want it to get into my body quick). The carbs are almost always some sort of fruit (it's been things like strawberries, some watermelon, or some sort of fruit, rarely veggies as I'd have to stuff them down to get enough for 2 blocks, and I usually don't feel like downing a ton of food after a WOD). SOMETIMES when I'm in a hurry, I'll have 2 blocks protein powder, and 1 1/2 block or so of maltodextrin. All this on ice-cream days.

On non-ice cream days, it's pretty much the same thing, except I'll usually also have a 1-block balanced snack just before bed.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Might work short-term but I doubt much it will work over the long haul. Try it for a month or so and report back with the results. I wish you luck man.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I recall a similar thread on this on another message board - a running one. The comment was along the lines that eating icecream at night doesn't seem to put on weight.

It can only be the fact that icecream is low GI - about 32????
Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Might work short-term but I doubt much it will work over the long haul. Try it for a month or so and report back with the results. I wish you luck man.
I dunno, I kinda am, but I'm just kinda worried about the high imbalance of carbs (sugar) in it, I'm just hoping I'm not unknowingly slowly dropping little bits of artery-clogging gunk every night into my arteries.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
James Falkner

Profile:

It has been argued on this board that dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with blood cholesterol, and that you can eat as much cholesterol-laden stuff as you want with no effects on arteries. Google for "the cholesterol myth".
Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
Jason Fryer

Profile:

You mention the cholesterol myth and I ran across some information in my daily reading that I wouldn't quite call the "Glycemic Index Myth" but it is interesting to note:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=929 (W/F/S)

If you scroll to the bottom of the post or search for it it starts after the phrase "My additional commentary on the glycemic index."
Old 09-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

You might experiment with taking in some better fats, carbs, and protein before bed, retaining a significant kick of calories.