CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #21
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Re: Any ex-smoker CFers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
2. Understand a craving is like a wave. If you can "surf" it, it dissipates. I found when a craving hit, I would have to stop what I was doing, close my eyes, and do deep belly-breathing. I would breathe through the peak of the craving the way you breathe through a uterine contraction in childbirth. (Ummm, well, take my word for it..*smile*) A craving actually passes in a minute or two.

Susie
GOLD!

I remember that there was actually a sort of rush when the craving passed. An intense physiological relief (yes physiological!) not unlike a narcotic rush when they dope you in the hospital. But this rush is also psychological and spiritual in that you are feeling good and really deserve to!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #22
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Vernier View Post
Everyone,
Thanks for the resources and encouragement! I'm going to do some more thorough research, but I plan on setting my quit date for the day I go home on leave (i'll have a 17-hour flight to kick it off). I'll keep posting my progress, and would appreciate it if you could help keep me accountable.

Derek - No need to apologize, I didn't take it personally.
From my experience, the best way to stop is a change in habits. I didn't find cigarettes addictive so much as habit forming. When I PCSed, I decided I wasn't going to smoke anymore and I haven't since. My theory is that in a new environment, you can break old habits and form new ones more easily. The new environment on leave might let you break some of your old habits.

Also, if I ever felt the urge to smoke, I dropped and did 20 push-ups. Believe me, that was a much better habit to form and allowed me to stop cold turkey. If you need nicotine supplements that badly, I guess use them, but I wouldn't. The way I see it is how can you treat an addiction by continuing use of the same addictive substance?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #23
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Joshua,

After 15 years of two packs a day I decided to quit cold turkey in Oct of 2004. This link is what got me through:

http://whyquit.com/
link is WFS.

Read the articles and good luck. Just do it.

Matt
Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #24
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I only smoked for a couple of years, but the thing that I did to quit smoking was not put another cigarette in my mouth. I still hung out around smokers, but turned down all offers and just didn't let another cigarette make it into my mouth. When it boils down to it, that's all you have to do. It's all willpower, even if you use a patch it will boil down to not sticking another cigarette into your mouth.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #25
Dennis Barrett

Profile:

I smoked for 20 yrs. The thing that kept me from trying to quit for the longest time was people who said they had quit for years and still after breakfast could smoke a ciggarette ten ft. long! Didn't think I would be strong enough. I bought a vidio tape titled "Stop Smoking for Life" It is narrated by Larry Hagman. I watched it over a period of three days and quit cold turkey. That was 18 yrs. ago. Never missed it. You can probably do a search and find it if interested....What ever way you chose, Good Luck!! As many posters have said, quitting was one of the most significant changes I have made in my life so far.

Dennis B.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #26
John Hoffner

Profile:

I must second Robert's feelings. CF cured me after 17 years. I listened to Coach's advice about getting the mechanics of the exercises, then increasing my consistency, al the while getting stronger and seeing effects of doing CF, when I finally began to work on intensity, within two days I knew there was no way I'd ever do a CF workout as Rx'd with any chance without quiting. I put it down almost 2 years ago.
Think of yourself and be selfish. If you don't want to die, if you think you're worth it, if you want to continue seeing the effects of all the work you're doing in CrossFitting, why smoke?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #27
Michael Terska

Profile:

Crossfit and Jiu Jitsu helped me. I kinda found that I loved them more than the smoke and the smoke was conducive to neither. Good luck all who are battling that addiction. Oh, and it was a cold turkey style quit for me too.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #28
Joshua Vernier

Profile:

Well, everyone...It's been 4 days since my quit date, and I'm doing good so far. I'm sure this is actually the easiest part, though...
Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #29
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Well, everyone...It's been 4 days since my quit date, and I'm doing good so far. I'm sure this is actually the easiest part, though...
Hey, congratulations!

Can you tell me about your strategy?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #30
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
Josh,

To warn you in advance, my Mom quit smoking about a year ago. From her experience you're probably going to hit the worst cravings around one month and again at six months in. The best advice, from what worked for her, is just to get your mind ready for it. A positive attitude is a better smoking cessation aid than anything else.