CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #41
Darragh Farrell

Profile:
Re: Constantly tired and lathargic.... Please help!

Sleeping has improved dramatically, i also got a new job which has helped a huge amount. Im getting up an hour later and coming home 2 or 3 hours earlier giving me so much more free time for my general life which is really nice. Eating has also improved, the new job isnt as intense as the last and we have our designated breaks every day but i will be looking into improving my diet as my training goes on.

As far as Crossfitting goes, i just do the WODs on here in my local BB gym. Ill start off at my own pace and built up the intensity daily/weekly.

Is there anything you would recommend?

Regards

Darragh
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #42
Mike Laroche

Profile:

Darragh, its sounds like you have a host of problems.
Occupation
I also do carpentry and roofing work, so I know how exhausting heading to train can be. When I feel this way I don't go. The wear and tear on your back can be brutal after laying 12 square on a 5 pitch and then going to do a workout like Diane or something with heavy cleans or squats. Don't be afraid to rest.
sleep
6 or 7 hours doesn't cut it for me. I slept seven every night last week, due to work mostly, and then on Friday night (didn't have to get up saturday) I slept for 10 hours. This tells me I need more during the week.
diet
red bull and cola??? Come on, you can do better than that. Those things will only burn you out. And you need to check out paleo for sure. Between the cola and red bull and riding to the store for bread I think you are spiking insulin and burning out.

I used to run a schedule like you do. I did MMA instead of football. It will hurt you over time. Get some rest.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #43
Darragh Farrell

Profile:

Hey mike, read the last few posts mate I took 4 months off from football and crossfit annnd got a new job with a awesome crew. We only work 40 hours a week now and are doing more in house work than roofing so its all good.

I hear you on the long days after throwing in 70-80 rafters, the last thing you wanna do hit the Box for a workout. I think they could make a WOD from some of the work we do

Thanks again

One chippy to another

Darragh.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #44
Mike Laroche

Profile:

yeah I caught those posts after I posted mine. Glad to hear you got some rest. One other thing-on days when I'm tired or my back is especially tight, if its supposed to be a training day, when I get home I will do a sort of extended mobility wod. check out Kelly Starrett www.blogspot.mobilitywod.com
wfs
He's friggin great. Not all of the stuff he does I feel is beneficial for what my own issues are, but a lot of it is. I will take the stuff that is and do it twice for my training that day. A lot of intense stretching and massaging mostly.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #45
Darragh Farrell

Profile:

hey mike, i just checked out that link. Bloody awesome mate, i owe you a beer for that one. Im suffering the same lower back soreness and tightness as yourself, it comes and goes but is always there if you know what i mean. if you have any other links or info on that too it would be great man.

Thanks

Darragh
Old 01-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #46
Mike Laroche

Profile:

He may have already directed you to it, but check out Steven Low's article here
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
So much good information, and be sure to check out all his links, the ones to the guys over at T-nation have been especially helpful for training advice. I can't stress enough to read all the links. Don't try to do it all at once its too much info.
I have had low back/sciatic issues on and off for years and I have done nothing but steadily improve since november following a lot of the advice given. The trick is to be able to identify what your issues are specifically. Mine are tight hip flexors, tight quads, tight erectors. Doing glute and hamstring and specific abdominal excercises has helped me a huge amount. The other thing I figured out recently is that my QL is way tighter on my left than on my right. Give away was my left shoulder being lower than the right. I have begun stretching my left QL only for 3-5 minutes 3 or 4 times every day and my pain is nearly vanished (hope i don't jinx myself). Another thing that I've done is train myself to carry a bundle of shingles on my left shoulder-I believe years of carrying on my right is part of what has screwed up my left QL.
Hope all that helps. Let me know how it goes for you.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #47
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Laroche View Post
He may have already directed you to it, but check out Steven Low's article here
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
So much good information, and be sure to check out all his links, the ones to the guys over at T-nation have been especially helpful for training advice. I can't stress enough to read all the links. Don't try to do it all at once its too much info.
I have had low back/sciatic issues on and off for years and I have done nothing but steadily improve since november following a lot of the advice given. The trick is to be able to identify what your issues are specifically. Mine are tight hip flexors, tight quads, tight erectors. Doing glute and hamstring and specific abdominal excercises has helped me a huge amount. The other thing I figured out recently is that my QL is way tighter on my left than on my right. Give away was my left shoulder being lower than the right. I have begun stretching my left QL only for 3-5 minutes 3 or 4 times every day and my pain is nearly vanished (hope i don't jinx myself). Another thing that I've done is train myself to carry a bundle of shingles on my left shoulder-I believe years of carrying on my right is part of what has screwed up my left QL.
Hope all that helps. Let me know how it goes for you.
That's great man.

Post your testimonial to the site too... always good for other people to read about other's successes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #48
Darragh Farrell

Profile:

Steven the stuff on here is awesome mate... Thanks for the info.

My back pain is easing and i have more movement now.

All i need now is the right training program and ill be set.

Thanks again guys.

D