CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #61
Ed Flood

Profile:
Re: Any ex-smoker CFers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton Allison View Post
I was a smoker for 14 years and quit cold turkey. The advice I give my friends is this: Take up a hobby that you will literally get your butt kicked if you continue smoking. For me that hobby was Jiu Jitsu (BJJ is also the reason I CF). Every time I'm out with friends who smoke and I start to get the craving, I think of having someone on my back trying to choke me and not having the wind to fight them off. That gives me the motivation not to smoke.
Good info here.

I smoked for 3-4 years, gave up for 2 cold turkey, drifted back into it over a few months, took up some light activity (swimming etc) and continued smoking as I wasn't measuring any of the workout parameters. I was pointed in the direction of crossfit nearly a year ago and it became apparent that the two wouldn't mix so smoking had to go, I quit cold-turkey again. Like most, I've had problems after a few drinks and had the odd cigarette. The impact this has on a metcon and general sense of wellbeing is shocking, especially if, as a crossfitter, you are living by the stopwatch. I think of the minutes that smoking will add to a workout and the desire to do so goes away very quickly. CF does provide a powerful stimulus if you're searching for a reason as to why you should turn down that cigarette you're being offered. You can see the effects very quickly as opposed to something like cancer, which can take decades to manifest itself.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #62
Noah Martin

Profile:

I used to smoke.
Smoked from highschool up until mid university.. am 27 now, glad I quit

still can't believe I smoked
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #63
James McGahern

Profile:

I would recommend Champix. It stops your cravings and i have been off ciggies for a year now.
It works by inhibiting the part of your brain that craves nicotine by blocking the neural signals. has a high success rate.

http://www.champixinfo.co.uk/