CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #111
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Reasonable amount of progress 4.5 months in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
you seem to think 200 is alot of money? you seem to think your 200 is important to your gym? you seem to think your 200 entitles you to something? you are wrong.
Well, let's be fair:

- In terms of laying out cash every month for a fitness program, $200 is a lot for some people to drop.
- You're right that $200/month probably doesn't mean a huge amount to the gym.
- $200 entitles the buyer to quality Crossfit coaching and whatever else the gym promises for that money.

- Mark
Old 08-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #112
Kainoa Bostock

Profile:

I'd like to start out by thanking the OP for a pretty entertaining thread. Now, to address a point that has been raised more than once. You allegedly started this thread to discover whether you should continue paying $200/month for your box, considering you don't feel like you've made much progress in certain movements. Now, you say posting video of you performing these movements is irrelevant. However, if you had posted a vid, then the many experienced and knowledgable coaches and athletes on this site would have had a far better shot at diagnosing your issue--whether that be range-of-motion, motor control, or something else entirely. You then would have been given more specific cues/tips, which you could have applied to those movements. This is how the process of coaching works, and you can find lots of people in the Digital Coaching section willing and able to help fix poor movement patterns. With video, people can diagnose. With diagnosis, people can cure (or at least try to). At best, this would have fixed whatever issues you are experiencing with these movements, and you could be on your merry way. At worst, our suspicions that you are uncoachable would have been confirmed.

In short, though, if you have been following the advice of your coaches, you should definitely be able to do a pull up and clean more than 95#. Hell, just working out on your own for 4 months should yield that if you're following an established program and using proper form.

Lastly, you're clearly not a fan of crossfit, and your goals are general enough for you to be able to accomplish them without it. This is a CF forum, so everyone here will try to give advice that will keep you doing CF, but if you're not into it then walk away and find something else. It's that simple.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #113
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Let's see... Price is certainly an issue. But, if you want something bad enough, you find a way. People are good at that.

For instance, I live on a very low income. However, when I have a fight looming I'll get personal training once every week or two with my old coach because I trust their advice and they have always helped me. A personal training session with them involves a 2-hour drive down ($30+ of petrol), $10 of parking in the city, $70 for the actual one-hour session, and then the cost of driving back up as well. That's about $140 that I find a way to afford because I care about what I do. Because it's something I want to be good at.

This thread is a load of balls, because all you came here to do was ***** and complain about poor little you being taken advantage of by the CrossFit corporate greed machine. **** your whiny, ****ty attitude.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #114
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Chris, let me see if I get this right. You've been there all that time and can't do a pull-up and can only do 95# cleans. You already indicated that you are basically uncoachable, which is pretty evident from your inability to post a single damn video. I wouldn't be surprised if your coaches just have up on you, which I don't blame them for. Why would I waste my time trying to help someone that is uncoachable when there are other people who are coachable. So now you are ****ed because you are paying $200 and you feel that you aren't getting coached. Am I on the right track?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #115
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I wonder if he is actually still paying and going to classes while he is complaining on here...
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #116
John H Curtis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Well, let's be fair:

- In terms of laying out cash every month for a fitness program, $200 is a lot for some people to drop.
- You're right that $200/month probably doesn't mean a huge amount to the gym.
- $200 entitles the buyer to quality Crossfit coaching and whatever else the gym promises for that money.

- Mark
This exactly.

Bottom line, as long as the gym in question is giving the coaching that was paid for, they don't really owe anything else.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #117
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I'm feeling withdrawals after not having had a good juicy post in this thread for a few days.

- Mark
Old 08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #118
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
In the end some feedback:

1) you are a negative Nancy so to speak

2) you are coming off as uncoachable, this thread started with some really sincere advice it was after you continually made excuses or brushed it off or refused to comply that it turned. Why? Because if you won't put in the effort and take this serious enough to get a 20 second video, why should anyone else take it serious? I just spent 5 mins of my life on this, my choice but it was to help YOU some dude I never met who is quite possibly uncoachable anyway.

3) you are potentially the most epic CF message board troll since CJ.
I think this about sums it up
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #119
Phil Washlow

Profile:

This cannot be real..... but at least it helped me waste time at work.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #120
Ben Reno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I'm feeling withdrawals after not having had a good juicy post in this thread for a few days.

- Mark
Thread bump. As a CrossFit rookie (4 months training, 6"2', 205lbs, 25lbs fat loss, 10 muscle gain, Paleo diet, CrossFit 5x a week) with a list of broken bones and torn ligature from extreme sports. All I can contribute is that perhaps injury or low testosterone is preventing muscle building? Get some blood work done sir.

I have torn both my rotator cuffs and never got surgery (thank you English health service) they hold me back on plenty of things but I learn to adapt. Just like CrossFit teaches me. I'd think about hereditary issues, nutrition, blood work and weight before i'd blanket call CrossFit the issue.

$200 beans is junk to mate, I pay $100 in South Carolina and that's at my limit . Never give up, don't whine and pay for results in sweat. Done.