CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Random Questions on SS, Squats, Diet, and body composition

This thread does not seem to fit in anywhere particularly well, but there is a nutrition question in here, I promise.

Ok, so I'm not new to CF or this site. I've been CFing to some extent for over a year, got my level I this past January and have been training with 2 of my buddies. For the past 6 weeks we've been doing a version of CFSB with 3x5 or 5x3 4-5 days/week+metcons 5-6 times/week. It's a ton of volume, but we're all 20-22 and pretty fit.

We started this program because we felt that strength was really the limiting factor in our metcon performance. I'm probably the weakest in terms of absolute strength among the 3 of us and I'm looking to rectify this. So I've done some thinking and some research and I'm going to read SS and look into that program because my problem is weak, weak squats. We're going to find out 1RM next week on a number of lifts to see where the numbers are, but here's how I expect it to shake out:

I'm 5'10.5", 185, 22 year old male, BF 14-15%
BS: 245
DL: 330
BP: 235
SP: 145
FS: 175
PC: 215

These are guesstimates based on my most recent sets, I would say they should be pretty accurate. My obvious weakness, as I said, is squats. It's always been that way, stemming from a bad history.

I started weight lifting in high school for football and did not have good instruction so I did 4 years of squatting with weak hips, and so every time I would get close to failure my knees would cave in. I'd still get up, but my knees would be touching each other or close to it. In retrospect I'm fortunate to not have had any significant knee problems between that and all the running volume I've done with what was undoubtedly poor form before I discovered Pose/Chi Running (One of the benefits of being young) Then I left HS and joined the military and did not touch weighted squats for 3 years. When I started CF a year ago, I hated heavy FS/BS/Thrusters because I was so weak at them and definitely subconsciously avoided them as possible. I could still do the most of the metcons OK, just not things that involved strong squats.

So yeah, I've only recently begun fighting this bad habit. There's been a ton of ego checking during squat days, so yeah, onto the question.

I want to do SS, but I want to stay paleo and since I dropped dairy I've found my perpetual sinus problems have gone away. Whey protein powder does not bother me, so that and eggs are my primary PWO food. Otherwise my diet is meat, veggies, and nuts, with some fruit. Plenty of animal fat, butter, olive and coconut oil.

So my question is, do you guys have any advice on programming/nutrition for my goal of rectifying what I feel is a real significant chink in an otherwise sturdy athletic armor? Can I accomplish this goal without raiding the chinese buffet and GOMAD? I think at 185 I'm not particularly small for my height (5'10.5")

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any thoughts/advice!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Emily Maisannes

Profile:
Re: Random Questions on SS, Squats, Diet, and body composition

Dude, really? Your power clean is HUGE compared to your front squat! I think most people have a much bigger or at least slightly bigger front squat than power clean. Awesome explosiveness. Now we just need to get you into squatting well.

The whole knees caving issue is because of weak abductors. Do you have any hip flexibility issues? I bet you probably do. A good squat stretch is to get into an "indigenous squat" and then take your elbows and drive your knees apart. Rip talks about this in his book.

Really focus on your form more than anything. Your diet sounds spot on and I bet you're not far from where you need to be with body comp. I bet anything it's not so much a battle of gaining muscle mass, but training the muscles to fire correctly. Strip off weight to nail textbook form.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Good advice from Emily. Diet doesn't sound like the issue.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

It possible to be strictly paleo on SS, I did it during the second half of an SS cycle and saw good results (tried milk during first half, but I couldn't stand it, even with lactaid pills). You may need to keep a food log a couple of days to get a ballpark idea of how much you need to eat to gain because paleo can keep you full for awhile. Fatty meats are really good to get into a surplus calorie amount everyday, you can eat alot pretty easily without feeling overly stuffed. Some staples I eat are sausages, brisket, and pork butt. Get cheap cuts of meat and put some spices on them and throw them in a crockpot with apple cider vinegar or whatever liquid you want. The most cheap cuts of meat can be made to taste better than prime cuts of meat with the right spices, marinades, and aromatics.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
Tony Sutton

Profile:

I am kind of at the same spot and am planning on recieving some formal powerlifting training. But then again, one needs that resource available.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Adam Acosta

Profile:

If you can't stand milk but want to gain weight, fat is your friend. Graze on nuts continuously between every meal, whether you're hungry or not, and add oil of some sort to every meal, or melted butter if you prefer that. You can get the 2,400 calories you'd get out of a gallon of whole milk in less food volume this way, too.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You don't have to do GOMAD to do SS program. GOMAD is for gaining significant size quickly and for the calories needed to recover. I think you have a lot of room for squat strength at your current weight. I think you could add another 100lbs on that bs without the need for gomad. I mean, lotsa folks have squated 2xbw without gomad.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Pat Dimitri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
You don't have to do GOMAD to do SS program. GOMAD is for gaining significant size quickly and for the calories needed to recover. I think you have a lot of room for squat strength at your current weight. I think you could add another 100lbs on that bs without the need for gomad. I mean, lotsa folks have squated 2xbw without gomad.

While you can obviously get stronger without drinking milk... trying to do so on SS is kind of silly. The whole point of SS is to eat a comical surplus of calories and push through heavy, capillary popping lifting 3x a week.