CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Austin Rogers

Profile:
Cool Fruits and vegetables are easy. Give me a week's worth of meat!

Vegetables and fruit are easy. Fruit you just wash off and vegetables are the same. Plus there are all kinds of frozen vegetables.

My problem is the main course, meat! I need an idiot's guide to 1 week's worth of meat that tastes ok, including cooking directions.

I usually eat about 4 meals a day (plus some other snacks).

Thank you SO much to anyone who can help. This is a very specific question but I did search and found nothing!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Fruits and vegetables are easy. Give me a week's worth of meat!

(wfs) www.foodnetwork.com

No, I'm not joking. You need to decide what meat/protein source you like and you can find recipes by the 1000s all over the internet.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Adam Noble

Profile:

I buy a bunch of chicken at the beginning of the week and grill it, chop it up and fridge it. Not particularly exciting, but works for me. I usually Lemon pepper the heck out of it.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Canned tuna (try to avoid the kind with soy) and wild salmon, jerky, and some hard boiled eggs you make a half dozen at a time and keep in the fridge
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:

Hardboiled eggs for salads (though I make a dozen at a time), eggs (over easy or sunny-side up), chicken, beef, pork, and fish (sardines, canned salmon, canned tuna, and fresh). For some real good and cheap nutrition, try organs like liver, heart, and tongue (I have a recent post on the site in my sig with recipes). Grass-fed and pastured are the best bets, but if you're short on the cash for that, crank up the fish oil to balance the omega-3's.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Noble View Post
I buy a bunch of chicken at the beginning of the week and grill it, chop it up and fridge it. Not particularly exciting, but works for me. I usually Lemon pepper the heck out of it.
Same, though I tend to use steak sauce on my chicken. Yes, I'm serious.
Beef and pork are also very easy to grill.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Austin Rogers

Profile:

Do you guys grill with something like a Foreman grill inside, or do you use an outdoor gas/charcoal grill?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Adam Noble

Profile:

I live in L.A. so usually the out door griil. Mostly beacuse I can cook like 7 or 8 chicken breasts at one time and just be done with it. With the foreman it would take me an hour or so, plus it is starting to lose its teflon (or whatever the no stick coating is) and that can't be good for you.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Rogers View Post
Do you guys grill with something like a Foreman grill inside, or do you use an outdoor gas/charcoal grill?
I've got a grill outside which is connected to the house's natural gas line.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
Timothy Ratte

Profile:

Meat's not really that hard - I like to have a variety, so I usually buy a month's worth at a time, mostly from Costco.

I'll pick up a pork loin, cut a bunch of chops from it, keep a few larger pieces for roasts - I then vacuum pack it (love my vacuum sealer!) and freeze it.

I also buy tilapia, catfish or non-farmed salmon, divvy it up into correct meal sizes and vacuum pack it also.

I buy large bags of chicken breasts as well.

I buy grass-fed beef from the organic store here in my town, but it's expensive, so it's a rare treat (you would think grass-fed beef would be cheap in Montana, but not so much...)

I'll also occasionally buy a turkey, or turkey breast and roast it. I'll carve it up, vacuum pack servings and make a stock from the bones and freeze it.

I hunt, so I usually have some deer meat on hand - good stuff, very lean - and every year I try for elk, but still no luck. If you know any hunters, trade them something for game meat.

So, usually with one monthly shopping trip, I get all the protein I need for me and my wife, vacuum pack it and freeze it. In the morning, I pull something out to defrost for dinner.

I have a big chest freezer, so if you don't, you may have to scale down accordingly.

As far as cooking goes, for most proteins, it's not really rocket surgery - grilling is my preferred method most of the time, and you can do this on an outdoor grill, grill pan, or Foreman. Otherwise, you can't go wrong broiling, which is also best for some fish.

I usually do a spice rub on meat or fish - for instance for pork, beef or venison I might rub in some black pepper,garlic powder and smoked paprika, and grill or broil it. Chicken can be sliced up and stir-fried with fresh vegetables, or grilled, chopped and tossed into a salad.

Salmon can be grilled or broiled, but my favorite way is to poach it in chicken stock and white wine. With white fish, a little sprinkling of curry powder and under the broiler will do it. Throw a little salsa of fresh veggies, cilantro and fruit on there and it's suddenly gourmet.

Game meats can be a bit tricky. Because of it's very low fat content, it can get tough easily. I usually cook venison steaks to be quite rare. The tougher cuts I grind and make into sausages, or throw it in my smoker and make jerky - this might be a little more involved than you are looking for, however.

Lastly, George's Foodnetwork.com suggestion is a good one. It's a good place to go when you are bored and looking for new ideas - and the recipes are rated for their difficulty, so if you are culinarily challenged, you can select recipes that reflect your skill level.

Good luck.