CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Brian Farr

Profile:
Affiliate Not Programming Hard Enough?

I'm new to CrossFit, and I just started with an affiliate in my home town.

I'm m/22/74/188

I'm in the Army, and I've come from a long-distance running background with Army PT and amateur weightlifting thrown in.

I've wanted to start CrossFit for a long time, and I figured that working with an affiliate would be the best way to learn the movements, reduce injury, and join a community that was pushing for higher levels of fitness.

I'd done a few WODs off the main page on my own, and the intensity/way I felt afterwards was awesome. I thought that I was really on to something.

After the first few WODs with the new affiliate, I'm not getting those same kind of results. Thus, I'm wondering if the programming that my affiliate does is hard enough, and if not, what I can do to fix that.

I currently run about 20 miles per week divided into 5K and 10K distances with some interval training. I also play a wide variety of sports on a weekly basis.

Today's WOD:
Max Effort Box Jump
Followed by,
WOD:
30-20-10

KB Swings
Slam Ball
Box Jump

Yesterday's WOD:
Push Press
3-3-3-3-3

Then,
1000m row for time

I compare that to tomorrow's main page WOD with the pullups, run, and thruster, and the disparity is obvious.

I can usually complete the affiliate's WOD in about 5-10 minutes (I have the intensity down), and I leave about 30 minutes after I get there, not feeling like I really did enough.

Any advice you have (especially regarding speaking with the trainers) would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: Affiliate Not Programming Hard Enough?

then you didnt go hard enough. give it time sometimes some workouts are easier than others.

and the main page would never put a 1k row after push press 3-3-3-3-3. only affiliates do that
Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Keep in mind that it's usually wise to bring beginners along slowly. Until the affiliate knows you a little better, it would be irresponsible to push you as hard as you can go. If you still feel the same way after a month or so, you might chat with the trainer then.

You might also consider the demographics of the other clients. If they are mostly not fit 22 year olds, the trainer may typically scale more than you need. Again, that would be something to ask about once you're a bit more settled.

Katherine
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Michael Ingley

Profile:

you aren't going hard enough if you're saying those are too easy.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Brian,

One of my clients asked my yesterday what was the hardest thing that I did at my level one cert. She is attending her cert this weekend and wonders what is in store for her. I told her that the hardest thing was where did a max effort 500M row. My client did not understand. Many people may not understand. If you do a 500 in 2 minutes you wont get it. I am not saying you aren't pushing hard, but what I am saying is that you can really push your intensity to a higher level and make an 'easy' workout very hard. Use a heavier KB jump on a higher box. Make the box higher by stacking bumpers on it.

Afterwards, if you feel shorted or like you didn't get enough..do more. Do 20 HSPU's, 500 DU's, 100 Burpees. There is always a good gasser out there for the days when you have more and need more. Do you have MU yet? Work on that. Grab a buddy and share Karen. It is possible that you are at a higher level than some of your partners. Pull them along with you and make everyone better.

My two cents and good luck!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
then you didnt go hard enough. give it time sometimes some workouts are easier than others.

and the main page would never put a 1k row after push press 3-3-3-3-3. only affiliates do that
Just curious as to why not?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Jay Adams

Profile:

I think that almost any wod can be made less hard. I have had main page wods that I did and felt "so so" that was on me not pushing hard enough. I have done the simplest work outs and been left shaken by them.
30-20-10
Swing/Box Jump/Push Up

Guy next to me says "that's it?" I barely heard him over the ringing in my ears. I think some affiliates program differently, but haven't seen many that were easy.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Joe Mercurio

Profile:

Yes more intensity could be the solution, or its just a couple relatively short workouts, but I don't think thats the problem if you read what he's written. He says he feels the affiliate programming is not challenging enough as the mainpage. So maybe his intensity isn't the problem because he feels challenged enough with the main site. Plus leaving 30 minutes after you walk in the door seems kind of short.

Does your affiliate do any warmups before the workout? Like a 400m run or 500m row followed by at least 1 round of the CFWU? Or some skill work like running drills, turkish getups, muscleup help, etc. Personally i'm walking out the door 60-75 minutes after I walk in.

But the real problem is that you should be talking to your trainer not us. All an internet community can tell you is what they're doing relative to what you're doing. Tell your trainer your problem and see what he thinks about more intensity vs more volume, and how his programming differs from the main site.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Just curious as to why not?
i dont know i dont make the programming. they just never do. strength days are strength days
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Farr View Post

I can usually complete the affiliate's WOD in about 5-10 minutes (I have the intensity down), and I leave about 30 minutes after I get there, not feeling like I really did enough.
Then you don't have the intensity down. There's a marked difference between pushing hard and pushing as hard as you can. A 5 X 3 Push Jerk followed by a 1000m row is a killer workout. How fast did you row? Did you really go as heavy as possible on the Push Jerks, or did you pick a weight that felt "heavy enough" and do all the sets with it? You might be winning all the workouts, but that doesn't mean you're bringing the intensity.