CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Derek Henson

Profile:
whats up with this plateau

i started crossfit about 6 months ago (and its great) on my deployment.

since starting, ive made some hell-a-gains...but now all of my strength gains have stopped. ive stopped losing weight (but my bodyfat did go down) and i'm not getting stronger anymore. ive pretty much stayed at the same level for the past 3 months.

can someone tell me what that deal could be?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: whats up with this plateau

1. When's the last time you've taken a 1/2 intensity week (or other type of rest week)?

2. Are you doing the workouts as rx'd?

3. What else do you do on the side and what are your lift numbers?

If your answer to #1 is never then do that. If it's recently then you can do a few separate things if you want your strength to increase being a MEBB routine.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:

I had to chuckle when I read this, because in over 2 years, we've never heard this from any of our clients. When new people walk in our door, I always say..."No one has ever come to me and complained that nothing is changing nor that they've plateaued!"

Are you doing the actual WOD's or are you 'cherry picking' workouts, and just performing those exercises you want to do and like to do?

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Skip raised a good point. I was "cherry picking" and kind of doing a little of this and that and I feel that I realy suffered. Along with being out of The Zone, which may be difficult on deployment, really messed me up.

Check out your diet also. Maybe it's time to add some fat or other calories in.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

Hi Skip, I've read many of your posts and always find them enjoyable.

What do you think might be a reasonable strength limit to expect in a few fundamental strength excercises, such as deadlifts or shoulder press, given that Crossfit is a GPP programme as opposed to a pure strength programme. There must be SOME limit. 2 x bodyweight deadlift for example? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #6
Jason Borzych

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Skip raised a good point. I was "cherry picking" and kind of doing a little of this and that and I feel that I realy suffered. Along with being out of The Zone, which may be difficult on deployment, really messed me up.

Check out your diet also. Maybe it's time to add some fat or other calories in.
I agree completely.... Also take a look at your diet and sleep patterns, diet is so underestimated.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Derek Henson

Profile:

hey guys you know what....

I'm not cherry picking because I do the workouts to the "T". My times arent that great but I do the WODs as best I can. I will admit my diet in Afghanistan sucks because you just gotta eat... and I only sleep about 4-5 hrs a night.
As for the rest week, I havent rested yet...even on the CF rest days, I go for a 4-5 mile run. To be honest my body lately has been tired. Maybe I'll take that rest you guys speak of and try to switch up my diet a bit.
As far as sleep goes...I may have to get that when we re-deploy.

Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Derek Henson

Profile:

guys my bad, i did lie about one thing.
i dont do the snatches of any kind. i jacked my shoulder up in college doing snatches. so on snatch days ill do heavy clean squats instead.
and as far as muscle ups...we dont have rings at our gym so ill do the pullups and dips (usually the 3x3 ratio)
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bruce Mailman View Post
What do you think might be a reasonable strength limit to expect in a few fundamental strength excercises, such as deadlifts or shoulder press, given that Crossfit is a GPP programme as opposed to a pure strength programme. There must be SOME limit. 2 x bodyweight deadlift for example? Anyone have any ideas?
I believe Bret Marshall had a 2.5x bodyweight deadlift and 1.5x bodyweight C&J at the CrossFit games from following the main site WOD's religiously. Without specific strength work, I don't think you could get much higher than that, but that's still pretty high.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
I believe Bret Marshall had a 2.5x bodyweight deadlift and 1.5x bodyweight C&J at the CrossFit games from following the main site WOD's religiously. Without specific strength work, I don't think you could get much higher than that, but that's still pretty high.
If there was more specific work it could've been higher. As far as CF goes, it really depends on their frequency that they're going to putting stuff in like workouts with DLs or oly lifts.

Derek: your sleep and nutrition obviously aren't that optimal and are probably contributing. Again, when's the last time you took a rest week?