CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
Marc Kriss

Profile:
Hey everybody-

I am basically new here - been lurking for a couple weeks, just now getting into the swing of things. I am 28 yrs old, 6', ~175 lbs. I have played sports all my life, and still play baseball and softball. I played college baseball, but when it came to strength training and conditioning, I failed miserably. I just didn't do it, and it cost me big time. I mean, I had a great time in college, but I wish I would have been more dedicated back then. I started lifting a few years ago, but I have been off and on since then due to job, school, and other stuff. But to be honest, I could tell I wasn't into the gym thing at all. I had a real good teacher, and I remember him asking me what I wanted out of lifting. I said "to get stronger," but to most everyone that means weight training. I can tell XFIT is far different, and that is what I love abt it.

So I started doing the core exercises: pushups, pullups, body weight squats, situps; also do some running/sprinting, and basic plyo (box jumps). I am going to start the WODs soon, once I join the gym. I really feel I need a gym with weights, bars, balls/bells to do the WODs, but I don't need everything in the gym.

So, I am going to start WODs, and really some core gymnastic moves to get me started. i also do sport specific training for core/obliques, such as weighted bat swings and the like.

Anyway, no real general questions at this point. just wanted to say hi. thanks-

Marc
Old 06-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Marc, welcome! If you want to get stronger, you've definitely come to the right place.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Marc--
It's never too late to make a new start!
Welcome to CrossFit!

(Message edited by Gulf_Coast on June 29, 2006)
Old 06-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Marc Kriss

Profile:
thanks fellas. i definitely dont feel its too late - in fact, the last couple years with the minimal amt of training i did (mainly to get in shape for ball season), i felt i was in better shape than my teens/early 20s. this was really from weight lifting and conditioning - sprints and basic agility drills.

XFIT seems to encompass so much more, and I am really excited about the gymnastics portion of it. that is tough stuff, all those gymnastic moves. but challenging, and the result is worth while. thanks again-