CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Steve Wolfe

Profile:
This stuff ain't easy!

Gonna give this a shot. I'm that typical person that goes gun-ho on something then tailspins out of control and fades away. At my age (44), I have to start making a change. I've always been pretty skinny growing up having graduated HS at 6' tall and 155lbs. Spending 9 years in the US Army keep me fairly in shape but years later, eating & drinking basically whatever I wanted, I'm sitting here now @ 240 with my highest being 250. I've tried developing my own workouts going to the YMCA. Didn't know what I was doing and flamed out. Went through a divorce and went from about 225 down to 200...quickly gained that back plus, once the stress was gone. Got myself up to around 240 and started reading discussions over at BB.com. Tried to start eating more clean and started All Pro's beginner lifting program and while that got me feeling stronger & I started losing some body fat, I got totally burnt out on doing the same exercises over & over & over again. Dropped that...ballooned up to 250 from 230. Now that I'm flirting with size 38 jeans and XL shirts are too small, I had to find something. Did some extensive reading about CF and got my diet more in check for about 2 weeks prior to checking out the local box. The instructor let me take the first class for free and although I felt as if I was going to die, something in my mind wanted me to go back.

Now I have 3 workouts under my belt and I think I was near death during each one...lol. The other classmates including the instructor, are very motivating & encourage me along, which I think is something I missed from my military days.

Obviously I want to look good, but a real concern is that both sides of my family have heart problems and I want to be the one to break the cycle of being not so healthy for my kids sake. A co-worker at 41 years old had a heart attack although he is about 5'10" & 290lbs. My best friend growing up is 44 and just last week suffered a heart attack and needed 5 bypasses. Screw that...I have 3 boys (24,21 & 15) and a 2 year old granddaughter that I want to see grow up.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Chad Ashton

Profile:
Re: This stuff ain't easy!

Yeah, it is hard. It's some of the hardest stuff I've ever done physically. Only thing I've done harder was the police academy. Imagine CF for hours per day...lol...it was terrible. Anyways, as hard as it is and as much as you (I) hate it while getting the guts beat out of you, when it's over and your standing around catching your breath and bs'ing with the coaches, you're already looking forward to the next WOD. It's kinda sick in a way if you think about it...lol I'm starting my 4th week and I can already see some changes in my body and the way I feel so I know it does work. All that sweat and blood (old school deadlifter, shins look like hamburger) makes it worth it.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Nothing in life that's " easy" is usually worth it.... Hard work,consistency, preservation, overcoming challenges ..... Are truly rewarding !

With your military background your probably craving these

Now you have gotten off the roller coaster and started Crossfit, eat clean, follow the your coaches advice on your workouts and put in the work.... Only then will you reap the rewards, physically,mentally, and emotionally.

I'll tell you what my cardiologist told me..... Family history is just a warning, it's what you do with it that counts. Just because a lot of your family had heart disease dosnt mean you will.... It's life style. As long as you control your diet,exercise,stress,smoking,alcohol intake...manage BP, manage blood sugar,manage cholesterol/ triglyceride levels.... You've heeded the warnings and unless you have a congenital defect you should be fine...

Lifestyle lifestyle lifestyle .... And I can't find a better one than the Crossfit community

Keep at it, your worth it!!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Steve Wolfe

Profile:

You're right Chad...after workouts while I'm laying on the floor stretching and feeling like I could throw up, as soon as I walk out the door I'm ready for the next one. It is a little demented....lol. You're 4 weeks into it...how often do you go? Is your diet good and are you seeing changes on the scale or inches?

Thanks Michael and I think you're spot on with the military reference because I do sort of miss that kind of stuff. No matter how bad I was hurting or struggling, there was always someone there to pick me & get me going again.

I'm a little concerned about with the family history stuff in that I hope I haven't already created problems with some of the bad habits I've had over the years. Never smoked and was never really "overweight" & according the BMI chart, "obese" until about 15 years ago. Need to get a physical scheduled to get all those other things checked out.

Thanks for taking the time fellas.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolfe View Post

I'm a little concerned about with the family history stuff in that I hope I haven't already created problems with some of the bad habits I've had over the years. Never smoked and was never really "overweight" & according the BMI chart, "obese" until about 15 years ago. Need to get a physical scheduled to get all those other things checked out.

Thanks for taking the time fellas.
Checking out your choletestor and TG levels might be a good idea to start with.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Chad Ashton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolfe View Post
You're right Chad...after workouts while I'm laying on the floor stretching and feeling like I could throw up, as soon as I walk out the door I'm ready for the next one. It is a little demented....lol. You're 4 weeks into it...how often do you go? Is your diet good and are you seeing changes on the scale or inches?
I'm still in the beginner class and they meet three times a week. M-W-F.

My weight has actually been steady but I can tell I'm loosing fat and gaining some muscle. My legs and arms are growing. I've been doing a lot of cycling this summer and I have pretty beefy quads but my hams are starting to bulk up as well as my triceps from the pressing movements we've been doing. I'm lucky though that my muscle growth is pretty quick. Always has been. My fat growth is just as fast or faster though so I have to be pretty careful.

My diet is Paleo-ish. I do the whole meat, veggies, some fruit (too much probably), nuts and seeds thing. I avoid grains and other carbs and sugar. My issue is dairy. I eat too much. I mean I don't eat a lot of it but really any is too much if you're strict Paleo. I eat plain greek/swiss yogurt and don't plan to give that up. I also eat cottage cheese. Usually before bed for the slow acting proteins and fat to slow absorption. I'll eat that with a protein shake. The thing I should probably cut back on or cut out is cheese.

Otherwise, I eat pretty good. I've lost about 80 pounds this summer so I guess I've done something right. I'm hoping for another 20-40 pounds but that might take awhile as long as I'm packing on some muscle weight through CF.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I would advise learning as much about cholesterol and heart disease as possible. Here is a good source http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/t...esterol-part-i (wfs), it is fairly dense but after reading it you will probably have a better understanding than most GPs. I have also read that Kris Kresser has a cholesterol action plan that is easy to follow and has steps for what to learn, what tests to get, what to do based on the results, I believe you have to pay for the Kresser information.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Maggie Collister

Profile:

I think it is great that you are getting started with CrossFit.
I started back in April and have found it to be a great tool in making a lifestyle change. IE, the cleaner I eat, the better I do at the workouts. So it helps me stay on track at a healthy diet, which we all need. Fat loss has been slow and I'm working on that now with a more focused diet.

One advantage I have found is that CrossFit overall reduces my stress and helps me sleep better. I know stress reduction is so important for heart health. At first, going to CrossFit was stressful- meeting new people, hard workouts etc. But now, I look forward to going and seeing my friends and the workouts themselves, while still hard, help me burn off mental stress and anxiety. Overall wellbeing has increased.

I also come home "good tired" which means physically tired, which for me means GREAT sleep. Days that we deadlift are the best- I just come home very sleepy and relaxed.

I would think that CrossFit would really help a lot of aspects of heart health due to the stress reduction it offers. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Steve Wolfe

Profile:

Thanks all. 80 lbs Chad???...fantastic!!! I'll give that link a look Phil...thanks for posting it. And yes Maggie...I do feel as if I'm a bit less stressed and more importantly, I feel as if I have more energy.

What I'm going to struggle with diet-wise, is getting the family convinced to eat as I do at dinner time. I signed up for emeals.com and chose their "Clean Eating" dinner plan, and while the family has been pretty cooperative, they grumble. I've switched plans from Low carb to Low fat and now to Clean eating and they still complain. I explained to the wife that I have to make this change for me and have to incorporate better foods than the boxed mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes in a tub and packaged rice. I know they'd go crazy if I tried to convince them to work on being more paleo.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Maggie Collister

Profile:

I think getting others on board with eating is so hard, and sometimes a gradual approach is necessary. When I started paleo, I was transitioning from 20 years of vegetarianism. My husband was not happy, so a lot of nights I made two meals. Fast forward two years and he eats meat like it is going out of style.

I eat very specifically now, so I know he does not want red meat and asparagus every night. So I mix up his proteins, bake him potatoes, make rice etc. to supplement his diet. Maybe part of your solution is for you to have say, grilled chicken, salad and a sweet potato, and maybe they get grilled chicken, salad and some mac and cheese in a small portion. I think it's pretty easy to be fully paleo and make a few additions to a meal to appease the non-paleo eaters. Plus, sometimes if they want pizza, you just have to buck up, let them have it and eat your salad. I do a lot of "burger nights" and he gets a bun and mine goes on a piece of lettuce.

Diet change is really hard, even when it is something you want for yourself. Expecting others to join you and be happy about it is a big request. Though I see definite advantages from eating healthy, even for me at times, junk food sounds awesome. For example, I have steak and asparagus for dinner, but yeah, I'd rather have a pizza.