CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics CF hybrid?

If you want to do all of them it's probably best to work a 3/3 schedule where you do 3 events one day then the other 3 the next day. Group them such as 2 apparatus (pbars, rings, phorse, hbar) and 1 explosive/legs/whatever (floor, vault). Otherwise if you just wanna do like 4 of them then you can do them everyday or do a 2/2/2/2.

Quote:
And I am assuming the gymnastic specific strength training would come after the skill work on the monday-thursday's when I have access, and then whatever lower body work I want to do Friday-sunday?
Yep. Well, you can do lower body in the gym too if you add in metabolic work then.

Quote:
How much rest am I going to be needing with this? Should I do monday-thursday gymnastic then take a day off and do all the lower body stuff on saturday and take sunday off? Or only one day of rest a week?
5/2 or 4/1off/1/1off would probably work well.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
Austin Peck

Profile:

Okay, so I checked out the events and I think I will go with 3 events for sure:

1. Rings
2. Floor (although I don't know how good I will be at flips and what not, but I want to kind of confront my fear of them lol)
3. One of the bar events...probably high?

Pummel horse kind of scares me...I think I should not do that until I get a more solid base in overall gymnastic skills...
Old 02-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
Jake Oleander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Peck View Post
Okay, so I checked out the events and I think I will go with 3 events for sure:

1. Rings
2. Floor (although I don't know how good I will be at flips and what not, but I want to kind of confront my fear of them lol)
3. One of the bar events...probably high?

Pummel horse kind of scares me...I think I should not do that until I get a more solid base in overall gymnastic skills...
pommel horse scares you, but the high bar doesnt!? just looking at high bar routines scares me
Old 02-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Question Re: Gymnastics CF hybrid?

May I join in this thread?

Currently I am following the Burgener olympic program posted in the dec CFJ. I want to do a simmulair program for basic gymnastics.
I've joined, sind last friday, a gymnastics club where I can train 2x a week ( if my job scedule allows) for 1 hour.
My goals are: free standing handstand, then free standing hspu. Same on the parelettes (paralel bars), cartwheel. On the rings, up my skills from an ugly muscle-up to a nice series, back and front lever and ultimate a ahndstand pushup in the rings.
Also the pommelhorse looks inviting.
I will tak one step at a time. But are there any ideas about sceduling this kind of work?

Sorry if this seems like a high-jack, but I think the questions are too simular
for seperate threads.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #15
Austin Peck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Oleander View Post
pommel horse scares you, but the high bar doesnt!? just looking at high bar routines scares me
Pommel looks like if you slip up your balls are done for....high bar you break a leg or something ha ha...I'd rather have that happen. Some of the scissor moves I saw for the pummel were way scary for me.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #16
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I slipped many times on pommel horse during last month... everything is fine
I would olnly suggest as a beginner in gymnastcis to another beginner that you invest in hand guards, ripping -off calluses is very painful all that swing work develops huge calluses.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

You guys should check out Alexander's log. He is detailing is experiences with getting into the gym and training.

Anyway, do any of you have access to a coach? It would make the process much easier to have someone directing you in progressions although I *guess* we could but it will be much slower because we cannot correct your technique in the gym. You'd have to practice and vid yourself and then post up in the digital coaching section later if you wanted critique.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
Austin Peck

Profile:

The guy I am going with said he would be willing to help me out and teach me. And his friends there (some of whom are on the Cal mens gymnastic team, which apparently is really good) would probably be willing to help when they are not working on their own routines.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
Austin Peck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
I slipped many times on pommel horse during last month... everything is fine
I don't believe you lol
Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If most of your pommel horse training is on a mushroom or in a bucket, your injuries will be very minimal.

When learning basic swing on the horse, you probably won't get ball shot much. However, once you start moving on the horse during swing or circle work, it can happen. My dad relates to me a lot of stories from his day. Hitting the pommels with your knees will be very common. Or falling on the pommels hurts too. I have a little guy that hates pommel horse and mushroom somewhat because he always falls and takes the pommels to the ribs or face.

Rogers group generally runs Parallel Bars, Vault and Rings or Pommel Horse, Floor and High Bar grouped together. Basically 2 apparatus and 1 other event.

I still reccomend spending a certain amount of time on Trampoline. In the Men's Future Stars Program ( think boy's program hoping to become elites ), trampoline is one of the 7.

Most of your flipping and twisting should be learned on trampoline, especially most of the release moves. If memory serves, tramp is considered plyometric in movement. It's a hell of a cardio workout too. If you want to progress on such skills as flips, go through the progressions. If you ever want to do them well.

I'm going to post one more post to this to what I propose might be something of a workout schedule. It is based on what I do for my boys who come in 3x 2.5h a week.