CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Mark Euse

Profile:
Hybrid help thread - long post

Sorry for the long post especially since I sort of asked this when I first intorduced myslef but I gave the WOD a try for 2 weeks and def miss my strength training - it will be a quick read. Okay, so I am relatively new to this community, and style of training - I have done a lot of bodybuilding type routines in the past - mostly stupid splits, and have more recently just completed a 2nd cycle of Bryan Haycock's Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST), alternated with 3 days of HIIT cardio.

A better breakdown of what I have done - with what I would call good results follows:

Monday
HST workout A

Tuesday
HIIT cardio 3 miles, using 30 second intervals - sprint interval 11 mph, jog interval 7 mph

Wednesday
HST workout B

Thursday
HIIT cardio same as above

Friday
HST workout A

Saturday
HIIT cardio same as above

Sunday
REST

For those not familiar with HST, it is essentially a full body workout 3 times a week done on MWF with an alternating A/B workout. So 1 week is A/B/A, the next is B/A/B. You generally do two sets per exercise and rep range is from 15-5 depending on what stage of the cycle you are in. It is based on progressive loads over an 8 week cycle within percentages of your 15, 10, and 5 Rep max and is followed with 9-14 days of strategic deconditioning = do nothing on purpose to recover before starting a new cycle.

I have decided to forgo this routine and adopt the ME/BB routine (at least that is what I think.) Here is my rationale and this is where I am looking for constructive criticisms and advice. I currently sit at 6'0 210. My measurements (I know crossfiters don't care about them) are
Chest 48
Arms 18
Waist 32
Quads 28
Calves 17
Neck 18

My 5 RM for the following big lifts include
Bench 335
Squat 425
Dead 495
Seated Mil 225
Bbell Rows 250

2 MI run time
12:50

My goals are to maintain my weight of 210 but am willing to drop to 205lbs, increase strength in all lifts or at a minimum maintain my strength in all lifts, increase metabolic conditioning and 2 mi run time. I am aware that it is difficult to gain size while doing a crossfit / strength routine, and that it is more difficult to work on strength and metcon at the same time. However I consider myself fairly strong, and experienced and feel that a program like SS would not benefit me. Bottom line is that I desire to increase strength and metcon and maintain my current size while if anything leaning out. Like I said I will accept losing SOME muscle in trade for leaning out but not too much. I pride myself on being able to look like a beast but still perform on what the Army asks of me. However I want to look like a beast and destroy what the Army asks of me if you get my drift basically have my cake and eat it too.

I have been considering the following three templates as options, and would appreciate some feedback from the CF/strength crowd as to what they think would help me achieve my goals best. I also fear that stopping HIIT cardio will make my 2mi time suffer....need some help fitting at least one session a week into these.

Temp1
CF
ME
CF
rest....repeat

Temp2
ME
CF
ME
rest....repeat

Temp3
CF
5x5
CF
5x5
CF
5x5
Rest

I appreciate any and all advice from you experienced CF / strength guys out there. Thanks for all that you do, and I apologize for making you suffer through a long post I just see many people ask for help but fail to truly define their experience / goals.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: Hybrid help thread - long post

I honestly skimmed through most of your post so if I missed something important thats why. Of the three choices in templates #3 sounds like it would beat a person up. #1 a number of people have tried with success. I have no opinion on #2 but it is not really that much different than #1.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Chris Robinson

Profile:

A little help please. I've seen "ME" in several threads, but I can't find what it stands for.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson View Post
A little help please. I've seen "ME" in several threads, but I can't find what it stands for.
Max Effort
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Scott A Martin

Profile:

I can only offer my own experience. I've been doing SS, CF, CF, Rest, SS, CF, Rest for a month or so and before that I was doing SS, CF, CF, Rest, CF, CF, Rest. I've been able to add 5lbs to my lifts every week, except for shoulder press, on which I've slowed to 2.5lbs increments in the past two weeks. All my metcon numbers have improved steadily over this period.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
I can only offer my own experience. I've been doing SS, CF, CF, Rest, SS, CF, Rest for a month or so and before that I was doing SS, CF, CF, Rest, CF, CF, Rest. I've been able to add 5lbs to my lifts every week, except for shoulder press, on which I've slowed to 2.5lbs increments in the past two weeks. All my metcon numbers have improved steadily over this period.
This method seems to have the most efficacy from what I've read with different people's logs. Can anyone else who has followed such a regimen tell us if they too have had good gains opposed to anything else they've tried?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Zach Forrest

Profile:

It's a very common way of thinking to do weekly splits, but in my own experience I have gained the best result from a tri-weekly set up.

I utilize a SS two week split followed by a CF/MetCon week (a three week training split). My program is as follows:

Week 1
Sunday: Power Cleans
Monday: Shoulder Press (ME)
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Deadlift (ME)
Thursday: Squat (ME)
Friday: Bench/Weight Pull-up Super Sets
Saturday: Off

Week 2
Basically same as week one, except instead of ME I only work at 60-75% of my 1RM and focus on explosiveness and power.

Week 3
Sunday: Rest
Monday: MetCon
Tuesday: MetCon
Wednesday: MetCon
Thursday: MetCon
Friday: MetCon
Saturday: Rest

Of course, my goals aren't quite like yours. I am trying to INCREASE strength and power, while maintaining my metabolic pathways as they currently are...I don't care much about my weight or appearance though, either.

My point is only this: you have more than one week to work with, so if it makes sense for you...expand your training cycle outside of one week to accomodate for other goals.

Just my 2c.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

1 if you want more fitness
2 if you want more strength
3 do not attempt

weight gain/loss/etc. is primarily diet. Get that in order.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Jerry Berg

Profile:

in the past i thought i could design a better fitness/strength/metcon template than coach. i tried for 12 months while cherrypicking which mainpage WODs to follow. had some good gains and success.

2 months ago i started doing the WOD as prescribed, in the order posted, with the correct rest schedule.

these gains have been much, much better.

why don't you try the WOD as posted for 6 months and then re-evaluate?

best,

jerry