CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
James Dent

Profile:

8 days ago I decided to give up booze. The longest I've lasted before is 3 weeks. I'm not a particularly heavy drinker, I just wanted to improve fitness, WOD times, rowing etc..

I just wondered if other crossfitters were booze free?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Chris Stowe

Profile:
I very rarely, if ever, drink any alcohol. Not against it, just have had my fill over the years. Nothing wrong with it at all my friend.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Alain Latour

Profile:
There are studies showing that moderate amounts of alcohol are good for you. Look up "french paradox" in the forum and in google. Wine is ideal: lower in calories, rich in antioxidants, and delicious to boot. A small glass every day (okay, maybe a few times per week) will not harm you at all; in fact, it will be good for you.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Tom C Lopez

Profile:
i drink in moderation, and try to go for a decent organic cider or wine, produced just from the fruit..
cheaper alcahol tends to be made from sugar as well.

i do go for a nice real ale or a stout every now and then as well, a bit less paleo..

the better quality beverages cost more, but if your only drinking a glass or 2 in a night, it doesnt come to much.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Here in Lisbon nobody goes out till 11pm and nobody returns home before 5am. I make more than the average wage and I've a mixed group of friends that like to party. I'd say once a week I get my drink on and do the 11pm-7am thing. Sometimes I go to an afternoon disco and then a nighttime disco and don't sleep.

Without doubt it must effect my CF'ing. I often wake up too late to eat my full zone prescription at the weekend with a stonking hangover, and all that booze is obviously full of carb blocks. Also, it's not quality rest so my recovery and therefore WoD times must be affected.

I've been booze free for a period up to 1 month and althought I felt fantastic on sundays, the rest of the week felt largely the same. However, theres no doubt drinking only has negative effects. So, go for it and good on ya.

Although, a pint of water would be a lot better for ya than a pint of orange juice... but who the hell am I to give advice on that?!?! hehe.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
James Dent

Profile:

Cheers guys; food (and drink) for thought.

It was a hangover-induced missed rowing session that brought on the decision. So I suppose its not just the direct negative effects of alcohol but the indirect ones that have a bearing too.

Pass the Kaliber!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
James, I rarely drink and I live in a party town. Ask a doctor how "bad" binge drinking is on your body? As for a having 1 drink here, 1 there, sure sounds harmless. But, most the people I know don't drink that way, if there are, I am sure we can find them doing crossfit. There's a different breed of people on here!

It's a wise choice not to drink excessively, your body will thank you.