CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #21
Austin Peck

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics CF hybrid?

Quote:
If most of your pommel horse training is on a mushroom or in a bucket, your injuries will be very minimal.
I have seen the mushroom they use for the training there (at least I can assume that the mushroom looking thing I saw is what you are referring to), and in that case you can count me in for pummel horse lol.
Quote:
Rogers group generally runs Parallel Bars, Vault and Rings or Pommel Horse, Floor and High Bar grouped together. Basically 2 apparatus and 1 other event.

I still reccomend spending a certain amount of time on Trampoline. In the Men's Future Stars Program ( think boy's program hoping to become elites ), trampoline is one of the 7.
The vault is the only event that really doesn't interest me at all. So I think what I should do is take grouping you said Roger's group runs and on the "Parallel bars, Vault, and Rings" day replace Vault with trampoline. Although I am fairly certain the friends I will be getting help from don't do trampoline, so I am not sure if I will be able to get as much guidance on that as the other events. When I went I did see a couple guys working on it that knew what they were doing, so maybe my friend and I can both ask them to show us whats up with the trampoline and help us with progressions.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #22
Austin Peck

Profile:

Okay...here is my plan of attack:

Group 1:
Rings
Trampoline
Parallel Bars

Group 2:
Pommel horse
Floor
High bar

Since I have access to the gymnastic equipment Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu I will go Group 1 Mon/Wed and Group 2 Tue/Thu.

For the first 1.5-2 hours I will work on the events for that days group, and the last .5-1 hour I will do the gymnastic strength/Core workouts.

Then, Fri will be an off day. Sat I will Squat and Deadlift, low rep high weight. Sun rest.

If you have any suggestions as to how to make this better (or any reasons it may suck lol) let me know. Although I think it is pretty much peicing together the advice you have given so far, so it should be pretty solid.

Lastly, I was wondering if I should ease into it at all? I was thinking possibly of going only twice this week, then 3 times the week after, and then full on mon-thu from there on out. Or should I just see if I can handle the 4 days and take a break if it feels like too much for my body?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #23
Steven Low

Profile:

Nah sounds fun to me.

You can tailor your S&C to be lighter if you need to, but you will most likely enjoy the skill work you can do in the gym.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #24
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

While you could go out and find a video on trampoline, such as Dan Millman's; you can also check this out. I believe it is from a video sold with a trampoline done by Dan but not the same as his video.

http://youtube.com/user/byp417 w/f safe

Here's another good page on developing basic swing for men's gymnastics. w/f safe
http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/public...sic-swing.html

Right now, my boy's team has practice for 2 and a half hours. Ideally, it would look something like this. However, in reality, because of the range of levels and ages and grabasstic-ness, I have to adjust it. Right now, we are in competition season and all too often it means not enough time to do what I'd like. Workout time is 150 minutes total, but sometimes I cheat and have them stretch afterwards instead of in the last 5 or 10 minutes.

Generally we have a warmup for 30 minutes. There is a bunch of joint mobility, prevention and rehab stuff in there.

Sometimes this time also includes competition recap or preparation, current events or whatever involves myself talking ( babbling and prathering on ).

After that, we do a bunch of basics for maybe 15 minutes. These basics include handstand progressions, presses, muscle-ups, rope climbs. Maybe working on L and straddle L's or lever or planches.

So, that means we have one hour and 45 minutes left. For them, that actually means 1h 35 minutes because they have a 10 minute break ( this is as much for them as it is for me to take care of other gym stuff ), for you it won't.

We then do 1 event for 30 minutes, and perhaps another for 15. Or I'll divide it into 20 minutes each and figure in some lost time between each. To look at it over the week, I have 4 hours and 45 minutes left out of each week to work 6 events, condition, do trampoline, or play games. For you this would be more as your warmup and basics will be 15 minutes less and you have an extra day.

I also take it into consideration how much time I will typically do per event. Sometimes I double up events because they are stations. However, this is more difficult to coach and be effective at. You don't really need to do this. For instance, Rog's group typically does 45 minutes per apparatus event, but this is also in a group of 5 or 6. Doing it solo doesn't require as much time, nor do you have 3 hours+ to work with instead of 2 to 2 and a half hours. I'd say 30 minutes per event tops for yourself. Also, your hands will only take so much, especially when starting out. There may be some days that doing swinging work back to back days just is not gonna happen. You'll have to adjust what you do. Though, you wouldn't think it, pommel horse can really abrade your hands. Parallel bars really chew up your hands, perhaps more so than high bar or rings, unless it's only support work ( swing to handstand or upper arm swings ).

You'll also have to calculate how often you need to do certain events. It seems as if you have that covered. Vault/Trampoline/Tumbling are all pretty similar except for that whole running and jumping on a board.

Let your hands rest in between working swings when doing apparatus. This allows the hands to " cool down. " This could be simply working on doing a support L on rings to skin the cat back lever or press handstand ( on a set of parallettes or single bar ) or doing a shaping drill.

In last, I say play it by ear. Heck, if you can go every day, do it if your energy levels are high enough and your not either too tired, busy, or beat up. Occasionally, a day of rest might be good or maybe you have other plans ( homework, working, social life ).
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Perhaps I'm imposing, but these should be some of the basics you should work on per event:

Floor: handstand limbers ( handstand to bridge and to feet forwards or backwards), headstand ( to bridge ), handsprings, cartwheels, cartwheel step togethers, dive rolls, backward and forward rolls.

Trampoline: back bounces, stomach bounces, seat drop ( bounce on your butt in a pike position ), hands and knee drop ( like a dog ), back drop ( to stand ), stomach drop ( from hands and knees ), 1/2 turns. Transitioning from one to another. Also knee drop to handstand, knee drop to handstand roll out, knee drop roll to seat drop. Eventually back pullovers to train for flyaways.

Pommel Horse. Stride swing ( I've actually come to train this before straddle swing ). Basic supporting and leaning while pushing on the pommel. Walking around the horse with a good support.

Mushroom: Look up this guide w/f safe http://homepage.mac.com/samsplace15/...m/mushroom.htm
and Beastskills circle guide.

Rings: Skin the cat, L hang, supporting, basic ring swing.

Vault: Board technique. Get someone to show you how to do this.

Parallel Bars: Doing walks, besides what it is in the above guide.

High bar: basic swing in long hang as well as pullovers and circles. Learning what a cast is.

You can print this out or ask your friends what these are.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #26
Austin Peck

Profile:

Quote:
Perhaps I'm imposing, but these should be some of the basics you should work on per event:
Don't feel like you are imposing...this was actually kind of what I was looking for. I'll take this list and consult my friend and see what else he says I should work towards and have him show me how to get those skills.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #27
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
That is some very good info, please keep "imposing". Most newcomers to gymnastics like myself have no idea where to start and what we want to learn, tell us what to do and we will do it... just like kids you are coaching
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #28
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Yes, please do keep imposing. Steven Low recently drew me up a gymnastics skills progression/routine and it's going very well. I always thought I was strong and in great shape untill I started trying to do planches and levers (extremely humbling). If any of you gymnasts can throw some advice my or any of us novices way, please do not hesitate. I do not have access to a gymanstics facility but rather just have rings in the garage, parrarlettes and dip bars. I am focusing on the planche, the front and back levers, the freestanding handstand, iron cross and L-sit for the upper body and pistols holding weights and heavy DL's and back squats for the lower body. The most frusturating seem to be the planche and the handstand, (the planche more-so) I have been following Coach Chris Sommer's progression routine on dragondoor.com with the working up to 60 second holds. I can now hold the planche in the frog stand position for 60 seconds but cannot seem to do the tuck or even straighten out my arms. Again, any advice would be well appreciated. I am working towards evenutally being able to perform (with ease, even though I know it may take years) true planche push ups, front lever pull ups, freestanding handstand pushups (regular and clapping) iron cross and some of the crazy strong stuff, like some OAC/OAP, one arm rope climb, even one arm levers. Those bodyweight feats truly are amazing and the strength benefits from learning them and working through the progressions just seem to be unrivaled.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #29
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Actually the fear of smashing mr happy's friends on the pommel horse is very common, but it very rarely occurs. I've been in the sport for 20 years and have maybe twice even heard of people doing that. It just doesn't happen, you are very well trained to avoid that pain... Fingers are a bigger problem on pommels. Just get going on it, you'll see...
Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
Steven Low

Profile:

Nice Blair. I feared writing up something like that just because I've got a lot more work now and am cutting back.

P.S. Steven I hope you're not doing a lot of the exercises ESPECIALLY the holds to failure.