CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-25-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
Ryan Scott

Profile:
Has anyone thats has been doing crossfit for a while done a VO2 max test? I was reading a sample test from a "Sports College" and I was wondering if anyone ever uses the training zones as recommended or if every crossfit workout is maximium effort?

Thanks,
Ryan.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
I think every CF workout is supposed to be max effort. Unless you're just starting, in which case you need to scale the workload back to your level. But even then it should be done at or near max level. You just lower the reps or the weight to what you can do and go at it at little bit harder than you think you can handle.

-Jeremy
Old 04-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Might want to track down the "Target Heart Rate" thread. Kinda similar idea. Also, the free CFJ has stuff about the superiority of uber-intensity work for developing VO2 max. Basically, just like any other system in your body, to get your heart and circulatory system in a max-performance state, it need max-performance stress.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey Ryan,

IIRC, certain problems exist with VO2 tests. For one, you get different results for different activities, even with the SAME person (i.e. your bike VO2 max will differ from your running VO2 max). CrossFit upholds the notion that doing multijoint, functional exercises at high intensity will develop a cardio capacity that is more generalized and readily adaptable to a wide range of tasks. This simply isn't possible when an athlete restricts himself to a single cardio modality.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I've had expired gas anaylsis, VO2, Max HR and a few other things done but it was a few years ago when i was into road cycling and I was trying to sort out my training zones for that.

It turned out to be fairly useful for cycling and for pinpointing where my strengths and weaknesses were but for crossfit the data would have been pretty useless.

I may go back and get the works done again in a few months to compare my "fitness" now with what it was then.