CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
I've been doing crossfit for about 3 weeks (also trying to switch over to zone) and I've noticed on the comment page for each WOD some people do a bit more than the rx'd workout.

Is it inadvisable to do this and would it be contrary to the methodology to throw in a few benchpresses/back rows etc. The reason I ask is that prior to starting crossfit I did more bodybuilding type beach weights (and alot of cardio work through sport) and I have lost lean muscle mass in the last 3 weeks that has taken me a few years to build up. I would be keen to keep this muscle - or rather improve on it and I love crossfit!

Thanks

Jaime
Old 04-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Jaime, it all comes down to doing whats best for you. You'll hear lots of different people on this site say they do extra or just do the wods for various reasons, but it's all about what produces the best results for YOU. Personally, I usually just stick to wods with minimal amounts of extra strength training. Whenever you do a wod, always keep track of your times, for motivation's sake. And if it's still not enough, look for ways to make it harder. For me, 50 sit-ups is not enough, so I usually do extra sets, extra ab exercises, or add weight. You can do extra work but I think if you alter the wods to fit yourself, most of the work is done for you.
My advice to you would be to make a list of goals that you want to achieve through crossfit, and if at all possible consult a crossfit trainer to help you determine whether or not extra work should be done, as well as dieting tips. I live in Nashville, and I'm fortunate enough to live close to Ryon, the local cf trainer, and he's awesome. Since I'm a college athlete, he'll often times find ways to intensify my wods and if it's not enough, THEN he'll make me hit the weights...but usually the wods kill me:-)
Old 04-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Brian Dolan

Profile:
Good question, I had a similar one but from the opposite tack, I have been throwing in some rowing and interval sprints to add some extra metcon as my goal of getting fitter includes a good bit of weight loss for me, eventually hopefully about 30lbs of fat loss to get to about 215-220 at 6'2 (I'm a good 245 or so right now..in my picture there I was about 270!). I've been doing this extra the last couple of days and feel good...also going to start playing Rugby again or start Martial arts training (without overdoing it).
Old 04-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
First off, get comfortable doing the WOD's as prescribed. That should prudently take several weeks or months to get there safely. Once you have a sound foundation, start taking a look at the areas you are particularly interested in or want to improve upon.
I always have a few things that I call "sub interests" that I focus on, either because they are a focus for me or because I suck at them.
I'm currently throwing in max reps of OHS at 95lbs to see how high I can get. I suck at muscle ups, so I add those in. Of course, it's all balanced against how I'm feeling that day. If it's a particularly hard metcon, I'm probably not going to be doing much else. If I have some gas in the tank, then I'll add some additional work. Hope this helps, David
Old 04-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
scale the WODs until you are up to speed on them. continue doing the things you have been doing if you enjoy them and feel they add to your overall program. just remember to scale those things,if needed, so as not to "double up" on exercises that crossfit may rx for that day. from what i've read on the boards, most folks use the WOD as a jumping off point for their whole program. on some days, such as filthy 50's or tabata fight gone bad you will probably not even want to think about supplementing with anything other than a hot bath!